Would you do wedding makeup without a trial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellishbellish

Reaction score
I have been approached by someone asking if I will do their wedding makeup in January without a trial. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing this due to its importance and the fact the first time I will see this woman will be on her wedding day. Has anyone done this before? How did it go? Any tips?

whats her reason for no trial?

I haven't done it but if she really can't squeeze in a trial i would.

I'd ask her to email you a photo to get an idea of her colouring, check if she's having a spray tan, ask if she has an idea of styles / how she's having her hair etc etc. The stuff you'd ask at a trial.

Arrive earlier on the day than you would normally and get payment up front!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have done it before as I have had brides from abroad that just fly in for their wedding the day or a few days before, but have also for local people.
So far everyone has loved it and has been fine, but I just allow a bit more time than I normally would so it gives you time to adjust bits if it's not to their taste.

Some people see it as a waste of money and are on a tight budget, personally I would nt as I have had many clients come after they have had a disastrous trial and glad they did.
But I would say if they are adamant have a good consultation with them beforehand and find out exactly what they like/ want/ would suit.

I have done it for 4 bridesmaids on a days notice. I made sure that signed something saying that they are liable for any allergies as they had not had a trial. I would be very uncomfortable doing a bride without a trial unless she has an exceptional reason. You might be lucky and have an easy pleased bride but if not all he'll could break loose x

Thank you for your replies. She is not from round here so won't be able to come to me for one unfortunately. I am not sure how comfortable I feel about doing it as I like to know a bit about the person so I can psychologically prepare if they are a bridezilla! I am also wondering if she will ask for a reduced price as mine does include a trial, but I don't feel inclined to give her one if she is a nightmare! Argh don't know what to do :S

Hiya i have done lots without a trial. I only allow it when it is because they are coming from abroad or live very far away. never if they live up the road but dont wanna pay! i would definately talk to her alot get her to send u some piccs of her self and the look she is after. then on the day after each step get her to check in the mirror up close. i e after foundation and concealer check she is happy before setting it. then eyeshad then liner.etc allow loads of time and make sure to check her allergies and if she has had a reaction to a specific brand before.im sure u will be fine

I have a lot of international clients and it's not always convenient for them to have a trial before hand even though it is advisable.

But as I've been doing this for over 12 years I feel confident in my ability to do a brides makeup if need be without a trial.

I think it all boils down to wether YOU feel confident to go ahead with the booking without doing a trial.

All you can do is advise your client of the benefits of having a trial and possible pitfalls of not booking one x

Thank you for all your helpful replies. I have contacted her again so will just wait to hear from her :)

Latest posts

Back