Would you employ her?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellideb

Nails & Beauty
Reaction score
I have three girls interested in coming to work for me and I was just about to send them all out letters inviting them along for an interview when I saw on one of the girls fb page a post saying she's now offering x treatments at home. My initial reaction was one of suprise as this means if I offered her a job she could poach my clients. Would you employ her now, knowing she has a set up at home?

No i would not, but that depends how far away she lives from your salon, is she local to you ?

Always check the facebook!!!get her in for interview (no harm) and ask her straight out.

No i would not, but that depends how far away she lives from your salon, is she local to you ?

She doesn't live too far, about 6 miles away.

I would give her a chance, everyone does mobile in evenings/day off. Doesn't mean she will take your clients

I'm interested to see what the general consensus will be.

Maybe it's just while she's unemployed? I would find that quite normal that people have a handful of clients outside of work hours. As long as it's not growing into a separate business that she wants to expand I can't see why it would be a problem.

I was in the same boat and I was honest with my new boss, I have a small amount of clients that helps boost my money, I dislike doing it and will phase it out, would much prefer them to come to work. Maybe she would rather bring these people to your salon if she gets the job.

In the past I've had to sign contracts and in them it has stated that if I "poach" clients from the salon/spa either immediate dismissal and/or legal action. Also I wasn't allowed to inform any clients if I were leaving the business, and one contract stated I couldn't work within a certain radius (1 mile) of the salon for 3 months once I'd left. I would invite her for an interview and see what she says, if she says no she doesn't then you know not to proceed with her and just inform her via letter as unsuccessful. I would have a contract drawn up for all employees xx

She's advertising that she's doing acrylics, gels, lashes and she's ordered her spray tanning kit. I messaged her saying I wouldn't be offering an interview due to conflict of interests. She resonded saying she's only going to be doing friends and family for now. I left it for a bit then went to reply only to find she's blocked me. :confused:

It's a shame you didn't give the girl a chance to explain herself but it's up to you of course!

You messaged her on facebook? Or by text? Either way I find that a bit unprofessional that a potential employer would communicate after hours by either of the above. Everyone is entitled to earn a living, she isn't employed by you, anyone could steal your clients, maybe the other two just don't advertise. As said above it's up to you, but you could have picked up the phone.

You messaged her on facebook? Or by text? Either way I find that a bit unprofessional that a potential employer would communicate after hours by either of the above. Everyone is entitled to earn a living, she isn't employed by you, anyone could steal your clients, maybe the other two just don't advertise. As said above it's up to you, but you could have picked up the phone.

That's what I was going to message her about! I was going to ask her if she wanted to talk over the phone tomorrow! I'm very fair and all up for giving people a chance. I can still get in touch as I have her number so I might call her tomorrow and see what she says.

But you didn't say that, you sent her a message saying you were declining her interview due to conflict of interests. Sorry to be honest but I wouldn't entertain that message. She explained what she was doing, then you were going to change your mind and ask her in anyway?i think by her blocking you that might be a sign, how awkward blocking your potential employer then you ring her for an interview the next day lol!

But you didn't say that, you sent her a message saying you were declining her interview due to conflict of interests. Sorry to be honest but I wouldn't entertain that message. She explained what she was doing, then you were going to change your mind and ask her in anyway?i think by her blocking you that might be a sign, how awkward blocking your potential employer then you ring her for an interview the next day lol!

No, i'm not contacting her to get her in for an interview, i was thinking of asking her if she wanted a chat over the phone, give her a chance to explain and me a chance to hear what she's got to say instead of through the medium of fb!

My initial reaction to her advert was, oh no, she's coming to work for me whilst setting up at home, how do I know if she's going to be poaching my clients and undercutting me? So I sent her the message about conflict of interests, to which she replied that she's only doing friends and family for now which made me think she's planning on increasing her own client base soon, which will impact on my business.

I left it at that whilst sorting out kids and bed etc, to return later and ask if it would be ok to talk tomorrow to find I've been blocked.

Have I really handled this wrong then? I'm not sure how else I should have done it. I'm only protecting my business, I've spent ££££ setting up a new salon, made all sorts of sacrifices to get myself here and I just felt, wrongly or rightly that I'm being used as a stepping stone and that it's a threat to my business.

My initial reaction to her advert was, oh no, she's coming to work for me whilst setting up at home, how do I know if she's going to be poaching my clients and undercutting me? So I sent her the message about conflict of interests, to which she replied that she's only doing friends and family for now which made me think she's planning on increasing her own client base soon, which will impact on my business.

I left it at that whilst sorting out kids and bed etc, to return later and ask if it would be ok to talk tomorrow to find I've been blocked.

Have I really handled this wrong then? I'm not sure how else I should have done it. I'm only protecting my business, I've spent ££££ setting up a new salon, made all sorts of sacrifices to get myself here and I just felt, wrongly or rightly that I'm being used as a stepping stone and that it's a threat to my business.

Personally you shouldn't have messaged her about conflict of interests via fb. You shouldn't have messaged her at all. If you wanted to discuss it should of just rang her the next day or discussed at interview.

1. It's unprofessional to go through peoples facebooks (yes it happens even with big employers but I don't like it and my personal Facebook is limited.)

2. It's unprofessional to contact them through Facebook.

Your right be have concerns, but personally I feel you've approached it unprofessionally. I would never message a potential employee on facebook, or outside of business hours. You want to send out the right vibes about what sort of business you are. I've kind of read it as you were snooping on her facebook and decided to message her on the basis you read her status.

Every owner wants to protect their business, however most people in this industry do private clients, doesn't mean they want to set up a mobile business. Doing friends and family shows me she's committed and keeps her skill levels up and enjoys doing her job.

Maybe she meant 'for now' until she gets a job in a salon?

What's the point in contacting her to let her explain herself? You've already said you're not going to employ her so I don't see the point but ofcourse, it's your shout! :)

I think you have gone about it in the wrong way to be honest, to not be given a chance because she has a few clients already is totally unfair and if you wanted to speak to her about it then should of been done face to face not texting/facebook. Try seeing it from her point od view x

Yes I can see that it does seem unprofessional but I wasn't snooping, it came up on my news feed. I should have left it and got in touch tomorrow over the phone. Is there any way I could perhaps smooth things over without getting her hopes up (if she has any) and end on a better note?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back