Would you employ her?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So your friends on facebook then? Did you know each other before?

You've said 'give her a chance to explain' and 'not get her hopes up'-I'm sorry but she's blocked you - I think this one is pretty much dead in the water- unless you want to apologies and invite her in for a interview.

If you have no intention of interviewing her then I wouldn't bother to get back in contact with her x

Right I will learn from it and move on. They say your best teacher is your last mistake and that was a lesson in how to handle potential employees professionally. :lol:

There's always another side to the story though... I've actually not been successful in some jobs before because I haven't had my own client base to bring to their business. Where I live, most salons ask that you already have a number of clients to bring before they'll even think about hiring you, which is quite a shame if you've got qualifications and need to start off with experience!!

She may well have bought her clients into the salon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't stress over it - often those work relationships that start complicated end awfully

when it comes to people go with your gut, and if she was mad keen to work for you she would have let you respond

I wouldn't stress over it - often those work relationships that start complicated end awfully

when it comes to people go with your gut, and if she was mad keen to work for you she would have let you respond

I like loveleelady's post.

Don't beat yaself up, you made a mistake, you can learn from it.

Don't snoop....... Can open up all kinds of bad cans!

If she's meant to work for you she will, if the clients you already have are that loyal to you then what are you worried about.

Chin up, onwards and upwards

All the best

Xxx

💋 Bee 💋

Have I really handled this wrong then? I'm not sure how else I should have done it. I'm only protecting my business, I've spent ££££ setting up a new salon, made all sorts of sacrifices to get myself here and I just felt, wrongly or rightly that I'm being used as a stepping stone and that it's a threat to my business.

I don't think it was wise that you contacted her on Facebook, but you have acknowledged that and can only learn from your mistakes. I think that you should have asked her in for an interview and brought it up there.

I don't agree that you shouldn't have been snooping. I would expect to have my Facebook page, (instagram and what not) scrutinised by prospective employers as given in this day and age, indeed this is what we were told (warned) at college on one of our experience days by a company representative.

To the paragraph quoted above. Your business will always be used as a stepping stone by anyone that comes to work for you. That surely is the nature of having employees.
Whoever you employ may not have Facebook, might be an ideal employee, work for you for a year, decide she wants to be her own boss and leave without giving you any inkling that this is what she is doing.
That would leave you in exactly the same position. Albeit without any prior knowledge. I think you need to be aware of this.

I snoop on Facebook, Twitter ect at potential employees if we have mutual friends I ask said mutual friend of she would let me look at the potential employee through the mutual friends account.

At the end of the day it is my business and I want to protect it and see what image the potential employees are putting out about themselves and also what mobile work they are undertaking.

I also bring it up that I was looking on Facebook at interview "I noticed via Facebook you offer a mobile service, are you looking at continuing this when you find a employed position?" Don't sound critical and negative at this stage sound interested they will more than likely tell you a bit more about it and their intentions, then you can explain it is very important and part of the contract that mobile or "private" clients outside f the salon and work hours isn't permitted and I forming clients of any outside work is also not permitted all can lead to instant dismissal due to gross misconduct.

Jemima :)

She may have been doing it just while she got a job which seems reasonable.

I ask my girls to encourage friends and family to come to salon, there's the odd client that can't so I'm fine with that. So long as they run it past me.

We don't do mates rates but they know how to work out the cost of a treatment for mums etc.

I would have a massive problem with them advertising out of work, but then, if they're straight with me and me them as to what's expected I can't see it being an issue.

I would have gotten her in for interview or chat and just asked her x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Tbh i think you had no right in expecting her to explain herself when you hadnt interviewed her and were not going to give her a chance. If i was her i would be really quite angry by your approach, its almost like you were saying that although she wasnt going to work for you she was still taking your clients.

In my eyes looking through someones fb as a browse to see what they are like is ok but should also be taken with a pinch of salt as so many like to make out life is all song and dance. Take any notes you may have from it ie odd clients outside of working hours or what they mainly get up to at the weekend then interview and ask about extra clients do hobbies on fb really match what was on their cv etc.

I think you were really out of order for what you did to that girl and you have probably caused some damage along the way. She may have been the best employee and would have bought clients to the salon. You may have also caused her to question herself now so could knock her confidence.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

My opinion is you were totally unprofessional and out of order. She is entitled to do whatever work she wants as she is not employed and is not under a contract. She's also 6 miles away not exactly direct competition. Beauty is a skill we need to practice as timings need to be worked on treatments need to be improved. I think beauty is a use it or lose it skill and this girl was working to improve herself. Most salons require you to have a client base so in my opinion this girl is more employable than the others as she is working hard to make a name for herself, and would most likely have brought clients to you.

At the interview if you were offering her an employed position you could stipulate that she couldn't be in conflict with the salon and it would be her choice, but if she was to be self employed she is entitled to work when and how she sees fit. Also most people will do friends and family at home that's just the perks of having a daughter/sister who is in hair/beauty.

Sent from my K00F using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's getting into bashing now. The op acknowledged she has learnt from this, I don't blame her one jot for using social networking in this way, it's industry standard these days!

To the op, the right person will come along and you should ALWAYS on with your gut.

Maybe a mod can close this thread before it gets silly xx

Maybe she uses facebook and salon geek.........!

I think it would be naive of any salon manager to think that their staff haven't got there own client base . I don't know any employed therapists who don't have a few private clients . It's just easier to catch them out these days because of social media . If she didn't have FB u wouldn't be any the wiser x

I think it's getting into bashing now. The op acknowledged she has learnt from this, I don't blame her one jot for using social networking in this way, it's industry standard these days!

To the op, the right person will come along and you should ALWAYS on with your gut.

Maybe a mod can close this thread before it gets silly xx

Yes getting a bit much - the girl has admitted her mistake and fair play for her doing it so publicly -

imagine if we all had the openness to put on here our silly mistakes?

and boy I have made a lot of them lol as I'm sure we all have!!

none of us are perfect

Don't close it but I do think the tone could now be more positive ie future tips on handling the situation/employment and social media

and not attacking the op

This thread is getting viscious.

Hands up all of you who have never made a mistake?

*crickets*

Personally, as an employer, I'd be seriously put off by someone who advertises mobile. Experience has taught me not to voice those concerns until an appropriate time. Experience will teach the OP lots of things. No need to hang, draw and quarter her.
Maybe there's also a lesson for the potential employees out there, if you want a job, with regular pay, holiday pay sick pay etc, don't advertise mobile in direct competition with your potential employer.

I hope the OP has been able to obtain sufficient information from the advice given and as this thread is now in danger of going round and round in circles, I will I indeed close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back