Would you employ someone who did a intensive course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkknailss

www.luxetanning.co.uk #Princess
Reaction score
As the title says really!
After reading many threads in here and being a '1dayer' on acrylic nails ( also did manicure don't panic! Lol) I am now seriously considering doing it properly with a proper course getting the qualifications I need!
So I am looking at leval 2 beauty therapy but does it really matter how long it took me to do the course? If I go for a job interview surley a trade test would be all that matters?
Would I be employed with a 2 week intensive course?

Hi I would give you a trade test. If you were good at nails and had completed a course and were insurable I would employ you. I employ 3 nail techs and they are all good at what they do. They were trained with CND.

I think the word intensive is just a euphemism for cheap one day crammed in course and no I would not employ anyone even if they did great nails in a trade test, who had only done that sort of course. I would re-train them.

I would say it depends completely upon the therapist, their enthusiasm, dedication and skill.
I have employed therapists who have studied for years and were very poor needing re training and I have also employed those who have been on intensive courses and are fantastic.
Intensive courses do mean you have to be motivated to do all the practice yourself without somebody looking over your shoulder.

Do you know this one day course thing is confusing me now :(. I have done a couple of cnd one day courses of which I was told was the best to train with and then I hear one day courses getting slagged off again. So is it only certain one day courses that are rubbish.

Do you know this one day course thing is confusing me now :(. I have done a couple of cnd one day courses of which I was told was the best to train with and then I hear one day courses getting slagged off again. So is it only certain one day courses that are rubbish.
Don't be silly.:) There is a difference between a one day on going-education class for someone already trained to a degree and people taking a one day course from scratch and claiming to be qualified! Please! That is what we are saying is a nonsense and it is.

Last edited:
Personally I would not employ a therapist who had done a 2 week nvq.
I have recently been looking to employ a part time fully qualified, minimum nvq level 3, and the amount of applications I have received from girls who have done a days course in spray tan, acrylic nails and eyelash extensions are shocking. 1day course's have there place to learn extra things eg Cnd shellac for someone with manicure training.

I think it is all down to the competency of the candidate, no doubt employers have come across unemployable therapists who have completed level 2/3 on the traditional route who they would not be able to employ.

I think all industries are going through a de-skilling to a degree with people being bombarded with 1 day courses in beauty, psychology, translation etc etc.
As someone else said, if this is part of a ongoing learning process that is one thing. If the person thinks they are now fully qualified/ experienced after 1 day then that is quite another.

I learn quickly, I did a lot of my training in salon, only time it took me longer was spray tanning and that took me two goes to perfect. Boss said she would have been peeved if I'd got it first go as that would have made me a super woman. I read everything research everything. Have a high IQ and pick up things easily. I do better shellac than our qualified nail tech because I've watched vids and researched. If someone had done a intensive course it wouldn't bother me unless it was nails or massage or IPL which require a understanding of structures and anatomy. not everyone is clueless before doing a intensive course. My waxing course was 2 days I knew more in those two days than the other girls in salon, I however did 4 weeks of half price waxing as a trainee after the course. I do still get peeved with untrained massage therapists as I'm still learning after doing my diploma, I hate having to explain to people that what the relaxation therapist has said is knots isn't. And the relaxation therapists doing deep tissue work they are not trained to do which can cause damage. So I wouldn't hire a massage therapist that had done under the nationally accredited standard.

Latest posts

Back