Would you listen to your client's advise how to do your work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nefeli

Reaction score
My boss-supposed nail tech for more than 10 years- asked me this: what would i do if i have a client that " has gel nails for soooo many years that knows better than me how to make them ":green:,and asks me to use another application method than using the brush.
We have brisa gel,and i love the way is easy applied by brush,so i answered that no client has the knowledge,or the right to ask me to use another method.they can choose colours,shape of the nail etc,but not this. And i was vvv firm about this-well...i might lose my job this days.
My boss askes me to use a dotting tool to aply gel(they use this with alessandro before i came to the salon),because is wasted to much gel with the brush,and to ignore the first layer.
So..would you let your clients to tell you how to do your work?

Never.

Stick to the standards you have. She sounds like a cheap skate.

Yes, as geeg says I would stick to what you know and have been taught. :)

For certain things you have to take your clients wishes into consideration but if it affects the outcome of the treatment in any way or affects themselves then you should refuse.

the customer isn't always right!

true,i do listen to their opinion,and advise them so they know what are their choises...Damn ,i cant wait for the european law to get in greece ,so i can finally work for my self,without wasting my time and nerves for nothing.
Thank you for your replies,made me feel much better:hug:

From what you have said, I do not believe that you are wasting gel and that you are competent in the method you use i.e Brisa and a brush!

I think that perhaps your boss wants you to do half a job and cut down on the amount of gel used so that she can keep up her profits.

So the answer is no - do the application of enhancements the way you know best i.e with Brisa Gel and a brush.

Try not to worry too much - it's not worth it and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it will not be so long before you can work for your self :hug:

That sounds absolutely crazy! You do your job, you guarantee the results so you choose the way of application. And what can be the saving if you use only one coat for a white tip instead of two? 5 cents? I might give the dotting tool a try but not because my customer wants it (still don't get it since she would walk away with a nice set of nails, no matter what technique's been used, because honestly, I think I am pretty experienced but I really can't say who did and who didn't use a dotting tool for a smile line... it looks good or crappy, all I can say) but because I might like it. But it would be my decision, not my customer's... Good luck, Linda

The developers of the product/brand, and the educators who train you have solid reasons for teaching you to apply the product in a certain way.
To get the best results from your chosen product, do as the developers & educators tell you. THEY know best.

Yes, there are sometimes little tips and tricks we can adapt to make things easier. But applying gel with a dotter for refills and rebalances? No... this makes absolutely no sense. For a french, yes, I've seen it done. Not a fan of that method, but to each his own. (how on earth could you build an apex with a dotter???)

If the client had been happy with the results from his/her former tech, then why are they sitting with you, telling you to do things the way the former tech did it? If they liked the former tech so much, they can go back to them. Sorry, but just my honest opinion.

A client can choose her length, and shape and art etc. As for the basic construction and maintenance, that's MY domain and I won't be told 'how' to do my job.

i dont quite understand,

are you saying your boss is asking you to do it this way,

or are you saying a client is asking you to ? i may have missunderstood.

if its a client, then NO WAY !

But if it is your boss that pays your wages to do what she asks you to do, then i think you should do it or at least be willing to attempt it. if you dont like the things you are asked to do at work then you must make the decision on whether you carry on working there.

if however you are simply renting salon space from her then it is your decision on how to work..

Well .i work for her.Before me was working there her cousin,with Alessandro gel which is a soft gel and she was using a dotting tool to apply gel.They were fanatic fans of this product(double price of brisa ),and they were swearing that doesn't have acrylic in it so is sooooo safe,because acrylic destroys your nails:irked:.This affirmation made me get crazy at that time,i showed them on the bottom of the box the list of ingredients that nobody bothered to read.She changed to Brisa as i suggested and this sistem never let me down.
My boss asked me (my English is not so good:lol:),to use the method of application of Alessandro gel.The reason: economy.I tried ones but because brisa needs a first layer thin i see no reason to change this.Because i said absolutely no way she asked what if a client asks for this.
Today i had 7 clients 3 of mine for re balance and 4 new ,that came send by a friend.All of them loved their nails and for the salon and my boss are 4 happy new clients that will bring others too.Ironic ,but all of them were telling her how happy they are.She has no reason to be unhappy with my work,and no reason to ask me to change something ...All this crazy things she askes me to do are illogic and caused by a huge lack of knowledge.
My reward for this is instead of full time contract a part time one(i am waiting 9 months to finally sign this thing)...i am really sad about this :cry:
I am already looking for something else,but to be honest,here is almost impossible to find a job with insurance and so..

Last edited:
I have been an employer for 30 staff for the past 20 years now and it looks to me like Your boss was never going to employ you full time anyway. If she is worrying about saving money by way of applying brisa wrongly, then to employ you full time would cost her more. She would need to pay you for holidays, sickness,pay rises.. you are more difficult to sack, should she want to dispose of you.. Her employment promises sound like false hopes. Stick by your guns and apply brisa gel the way you have been taught, if a client asks then tell them it's a different product requiring a different application technique for better adhesion! Your clients must have noticed a large turn over of employees in the salon so she's doing herself no favours anyway!

Never.

Stick to the standards you have. She sounds like a cheap skate.

ITA sounds like a cheap skate haha

I listen to "opinions" I am very open-minded but advice comes with an option of take it or leave it IMO

in that case i would probably try to convince her that the different formulation of this brand means that different techniques should be employed.
and doing it differently may mean customer dissatisfaction in the long run.

however as she is your boss, if she insists you change the method i dont see how you can argue with that. she pays your wages, she decides if you stay at the salon, so she must be obeyed.

if there are problems associated by the change of method, she will see the results for herself, you may take longer, the nails may not look as good and they may not last as long. then she will see you were right all along and may respect your opinion more.

i know its tough for you to be in this position, but you may have to go along with things for the sake of keeping your wages coming in until you have found another position where you are more appreciated.

i would tell her you will happily change your method......... providing she sends you on a course for this method xx

For now i am going to the salon only if are already have clients booked.If no,i stay home,so if business goes down...is first of all bad for me.So pretty much i am trapped. For 2 days now i cant sleep...i am thinking over and over what to do.
About her promises of full time contract,well she would pay for me no insurance as this are coming from UE fonds(special programs for employment),only my salary.
I tried to expline her many things during this 9 months( what is a c curve,upper apex,that shellac is ok for pedi too,that L&p will not kill us) but with no result...
Thank you v v v much for your replies:hug:...i hope i will find another job soon

i would tell her you will happily change your method......... providing she sends you on a course for this method xx

paid for by her, and not a moment before......

Latest posts

Back