Would you 'sack' this client . Sorry long

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angel Fingers ,

I do honestly not know whay she kicked up so much and yes it was awful

Kirsty ,

No in fact she and I have always gotten on like a house on fire . I really like her which made her reaction all the more shocking

You see this is the danger with thinking that clients are your 'friends' . When the chips are down to most you are just the person that does their nails :rolleyes:

Hi Peeps .

Ok can I have some opinions please on what you would do here .I have a very full book . Most of my clients have been coming to me for 5 + years and about 75% have regular slots . ie Mrs A comes every 3 wks friday 4pm , mrs B comes every two weeks weds 10.30 etc etc .These clients have ongoing bookings and never have to book their slots . It is just always there for them . The other clients usualy book two or three appointments ahead when they come .

Anyway I am going on holiday for two weeks and have tried to sort my book ahead so all are accomodated . Today I had a client in who has been coming to me for 7 years. She is booked in for the day before I go on holiday but when she came i noticed she was not booked in for the week I was back . I said I was really sorry and apologised for this and told her it would be four weeks before I could fit her in again .

I carried on with the service and noticed she was a bit quiet . " Are you ok 'A' I said you seem a bit quiet'. Well I am a bit cross she said . What with me I replied .

Karen

Is this client the Mrs A you refer to in your first paragraph who has a 3 weekly appt? I presumed it was as you later referred to "A" when talking about her. If it is, then she is kicking up all this fuss about going a couple of days longer than usual? (as you said it will be 3wks 2 days in a more recent post?) Your first post said it would be 4 weeks before you could fit her in so :confused:? :hug:

Angel Fingers ,

I do honestly not know whay she kicked up so much and yes it was awful

Kirsty ,

No in fact she and I have always gotten on like a house on fire . I really like her which made her reaction all the more shocking

You see this is the danger with thinking that clients are your 'friends' . When the chips are down to most you are just the person that does their nails :rolleyes:

This is the thing hun you just never know unfortunatly its your business and they are clients, i love all of my clients and have really good friendships with them all but i think thats why she has reacted the way she has because she feels like a good friend as she as been with you so long, defo ring her back and work it out just say i am sorry you feel the way you feel maybe we could work something out as you are a good client, but i was also upset that you felt the need to discuss it with my next client?

Hi Blossom . no sorry thats me confusing peeps . She is not client A lol. She has appointments anytime between two to four weeks depending on what 'functions' she is going to . This is a lady with a social life . Unlike me :)

Kirsty . Yes you may be right. Its really good to get all these different perspectives on things . helps to think rationally .

xxx

Hi Blossom . no sorry thats me confusing peeps . She is not client A lol. She has appointments anytime between two to four weeks depending on what 'functions' she is going to . This is a lady with a social life . Unlike me :)

Kirsty . Yes you may be right. Its really good to get all these different perspectives on things . helps to think rationally .

xxx

Ah, I see :)

If she has appointments anytime between two and four weeks usually,and you are asking her to go 3 weeks and 2 days, I don't get why the big fuss then?

I think Kirsty is spot-on about her being upset because she considered herself your friend too.

it is so hard as we have to build a rapport with them also but we have to remember they are clients!!

I have done the same thing with a cliebt she forgot her perse i said don't worry drop the money in tomorrow and haven't seen her since it has been 3 months nearly now and i am more upset because she was one of my favourites really reliable for 4 years etc etc

Deseving tho isn't it !!!

As i said befor you have to think if you sack her will she then say to her friends that she has bought to you and you loose them as well you have to think to yourself is it worth it?

Hth

Yes you are absolutely right . If I 'sack' her will she bad mouth me . I would hope not but you never know . Shame about your money . Shows we live and learn . Its really good to get all these replies . I am calming down a bit already . Thank you all

Hi!

Personally, I think that life is too short to do things you don't want to do, so I would love to tell her to f*** off!!! It's the beauty of having your own business.

I have had one like that in the past, when I have bent over backwards to help her and the moment I go on holiday, it's never good enough. I thought sometimes, she wanted me to stick a broom up my a**e and sweep the floor!!! Although I wanted to shout obscene words at her and bar her from my salon, I was polite and said I was fully booked until she got the message. Don't you just hate it when you have been polite and think afterwards about wht you really wanted to say?!

You have loads of your regular clients that love you and you are a great nail tech, so don't worry about her slagging you off to people. I would tell her nicely, to go away in short jerky movements if you get my drift!!

Sam xxx

Well Sammi . You made me laugh :)

Yes years ago thats exactly what I would have done but as I said I think a little more now.

Hi!

Personally, I think that life is too short to do things you don't want to do, so I would love to tell her to f*** off!!! It's the beauty of having your own business.

I have had one like that in the past, when I have bent over backwards to help her and the moment I go on holiday, it's never good enough. I thought sometimes, she wanted me to stick a broom up my a**e and sweep the floor!!! Although I wanted to shout obscene words at her and bar her from my salon, I was polite and said I was fully booked until she got the message. Don't you just hate it when you have been polite and think afterwards about wht you really wanted to say?!

You have loads of your regular clients that love you and you are a great nail tech, so don't worry about her slagging you off to people. I would tell her nicely, to go away in short jerky movements if you get my drift!!

Sam xxx

You have to be careful of the backlash tho hun it may have not happened to you but if she sacks her as a client even in a nice way,,,, if possible this lady will not be happy!!

Its your business chic just remember bad words spread faster than good!!!!

Personally i think she has probably just snapped.. maybe she had a bad day if you phone her i am sure you can sort it out.

Maybe she was having a bad day before she saw you ......and then when you told her you could not fit her in she was even more upset........we all have days where we are difficult to deal with ......and you don't know what's "really " going on in her personal life

I'd do the client in two weeks and see if you might be able to put her somewhere even if it's late or a day off .....seems like you should do something for such a loyal client.....

I know I would .........and have done this for my long standing loyal clients

By the sounds of it, she needs you, more than you need her.

Wait and see if she comes back, some people do over-react, and then it takes them an hour to calm down, she may see this, and then again may not.

Just carry on being a professional,

and the end of the day you are entitled to your holidays, just like her doctor is/her milkman/her gardener/her hairdresser. (you get my drift)

I was horrified to read about the way she spoke to you. But because you normally get on so well, this is awful, but maybe that's why she was so rude. It's like 'family' -we say things to each other that we wouldn't say to a stranger, if that makes sense, but it's because she's more like family than a stranger that makes her feel able to speak to you like that.

My initial reaction was the same as The Brow Queen, she can whistle... but (1) I suspect she has other issues going on that are making her hyper-sensitive and (2) we know she talks about you - she said she's brought you lots of business, and she's told your waiting client that she's angry with you, so you know she is going to bad mouth you... it will all be over so much quicker if you remain on good terms, if you fall out she will be telling everyone for years.

I have thought about sacking clients in the past, but what normally happens is, the next time I see them I am overtly nice and they are too, and it all gets forgotten about, and I am then pleased I didn't sack them.

My advice would be, to stay on the moral high ground :)

This is a really interesting one, please keep us posted Karen on what happens and good luck x

Some of these replies are really a bit scary!!

Business would be great if we didn't have clients! But we do and they are just people and all different. If you are running a professional business (as opposed to doing friends and family) clients are clients, they are NOT friends. This is mixing business with pleasure and that is often a problem.

I think you should forget it, enjoy your holiday and carry on as usual when you get back. It's just one of those things and you are very lucky if this is the first time you've had a stroppy and unreasonable client that gets to you.

To be really, really blunt: get over it :)

I personally wouldnt sack her over this if she's been with you for years and has usually been a good client.

I would probably see if I could juggle my appointments, then ring her and say "really sorry about last week but I've actually had a cancellation now and would love to see you on such and such a day" OR even say "I've had a juggle about and I can actually fit you in here, would that be ok"?

And when she comes in, then just be super nice and she will either apologise or forget all about it.

If you are super nice she will most probably be very very embarrassed.

Recently I had a client (lets call her Mrs X lol) I thought was due on the Friday but she came in on Thursday, when I said she wasnt booked in til the next day and I was really really busy she really kicked off in the salon, so I said ok, look, come back in 1.5 hour and I will get you done. (cue much sweating and swearing from me! lol)

She came back, luckily I had a dream client in before with no problems so managed to whiz through her rebalance, then when Mrs X came in I sat her down, got started, was really nice and friendly as usual, didnt mention the error, so all of a sudden she apologised for her behaviour and we were absolutely fine after that. She admitted she was having a very bad day and didnt mean to snap! :green:

I personally would carry on with her next appointment as though nothing had happened, with a smile on my face.
You have done nothing wrong but by joining in with her strop she may think you feel you have.
She is a client and although you are friendly, unless she has firm bookings business is business - end of story
Just my opinion of course, good luck to you and have a great holiday

I'd do her nails the next time and act like nothing happened like Adele says.
She may have been having a bad day.
Have a lovely holiday x

Thank you to all for your considered replies . My client is due back in two weeks time . I think after considering all your replies and discounting the not so helpful one I am just going to wait and see if she arrives for her next appointment . If she does I will TRY and carry on as if nothing has happened and behave like the professional I am .

If , however she is till throwing a hissy fit ( as someone said its nails for goodness sake not brain surgery ) then I shall politley but firmly say I am not prepared to continue her nails under this atmosphere and then maybe she would be happier going somewhere else .

If I was a newish tech starting out and neeeded the business then perhaps I may have thought about a different approach . However I am too long in the tooth to take rubbish from anyone especially as I have done nothing wrong . Its her that did not book her appointment for goodness sake .IMO there is no need for any rudeness from anyone .

I have always tried to be curteous to all i meet and expect the same in return .

Thank you all again for taking the trouble to reply and I shall certainly let you know how it goes.

Karen xx

I don't think that you will have to worry.
The lady will of sat there and said nothing as she will have wanted to leave but could'nt as she needed to get her nails done.:!:
I bet anything (well almost) that she thought i'll get them done now and then have time to find someone else to do them!
But she may also try someone else and not like them! In which case she'll say she was desperate whilst you were away to put her on :lol:

you could bend over backwards for all your clients. Most will appretiate it some will not. You certainly in time find out the good from the bad and occasionally you will find that the odd client you do not want around no matter what the money and you will then have to chance the reputation thing. If you are busy and your clients know you this will not matter.

In November I spent 4 days in intensive care fighting for my life with an Asthma attack, which affected my heart. I am lucky to be here and appretiate everyday now. But it made me realise that life is too short to have mean inconsiderate people around me.

A loyal client ( one that also buys you xmas pressies coz u think she likes you) tried to move her app 4ward when i was in hosp. My friend (beauty and tech) gave her lots of alternatives none of which were good enough "oh its just getting worse " she complained "well im not going to no when she can do them am i"
In the end my friend said "well im sorry, i have tried to do my best 4 u and nothing seems good enough, i cant do anymore at the end of the day jo is seriously ill not just laid at home as ive explained"
She only wanted a manicure and the other girls were more than capable:lol:
I had listened to this clients problems (as we do) for hours on end and decided that when i got back to work i didnt want a client who cared nothing for me in return so i sacked her off !!!
I call it 'Youve been turfed'
I could not believe how selfish this woman was but I darnt say shell be the last.
jo x x

Latest posts

Back