Would you say something to client badmouthing you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty belle19

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have a gel polish nail client who has visited a handful of times. When she first came she told me that previous nails hadn't lasted well so I said she could try and see how she gets on with mine and went through aftercare, she was happy to proceed. She has returned since and made the odd comment that is cutting but not quite enough to be classed as a complaint such as 'as you can see they're all off' and each time I do a consultation talking her through what to do and not to do, why her nails may be peeling and therefore why the nails may not be lasting as long as others. She always seems fine and says she wants them done again and rebooks.

Another client who is a friend of mine told me that the client I've mentioned noticed her nails were chipped and asked at the top of her voice (she's very loud and brash) if I'd done them. My friend said no I hadn't, that they were polish done by herself and that she had never had any problems with mine and a few others agreed. Of all places it was in the middle of a playground and she started saying how her nails are chipped that I've done (no mention of anything I'd said about her not looking after them and that she had wanted me to go ahead anyway) and few people heard her (she's VERY loud) I can 100% trust that what my friend has told me is the truth and not exaggerated and she also slated her as she's a hairdresser so it's not just me.

I'm not at all offended or worried, I have minimal problems and lots of happy clients but it's really bugged me that she's shouting in front of lots of current and potential clients. My dilemma is do I confront her about it?? Part of me thinks it's not personal to me and that's just what's she's like but on the other hand I've worked very hard to build up my business for someone to be badmouthing me for something that's not my fault. It's her choice to not look after her nails properly, not take my advice and continue to have them done. I wouldn't be aggressive with it maybe just say that my friend mentioned she wasn't happy so is she sure she wants to go ahead and maybe drop a little joke in that I've been quiet since as it was in the playground and people heard What do you guys think??? Any advice much appreciated TIA

Nope, say nothing. Everyone clearly knows your work is good and they know she's loud and brash. You can over think it but there is nothing to be gained from mentioning it apart from outing your friend as a gossip and potentially embarrassing everyone involved.

I'm like you - I'd really want to say something, but as frustrating as it is, I'd be inclined to leave it. You already have a client base who know that you're good at what you do. Plus if she's been bad mouthing others, I bet most people know exactly what she's like and take everything she says with a pinch of salt so I wouldn't worry too much about it impacting potential clients.
If she books in again then that just shows the type of person she is!! And if you never see her again then that's a bonus!

I've had a couple of clients who moan and moan about other therapists / hairdressers / GPs / dentists ....you name it! I sometimes wonder if these same clients say the same about me when they go else where. Its always everyone else's fault when they don't listen to recommendations and advice.

The part of me who would want to say something would do something along the lines of:
When she walks through the door, say "oh I'm surprised to see you again because I'd heard you weren't very happy with your nails last time". I bet she'd be mortified :p

Thank you both so much for posting.. I think I'll wait and see if she says anything. As for being embarrassed or mortified, she could stand naked on stage at the o2 and not even blush she's just one of those people ;)

Thank you both so much for posting.. I think I'll wait and see if she says anything. As for being embarrassed or mortified, she could stand naked on stage at the o2 and not even blush she's just one of those people ;)

But you could embarrass your friend or others in the group

If she's that oblivious calling her out won't make any difference anyway

But you could embarrass your friend or others in the group

If she's that oblivious calling her out won't make any difference anyway

Yes I know I was just joking. My friend had said initially she didn't mind me asking as she knew it would be in a concerned way but as I said I'm going to leave it to see if she says anything to me. Thankyou :)

Say nothing......and be 'busy' next time!:cool:

I agree with the previous posters and don't mention it. Most people aren't stupid and will have clocked her negativity. I'd also be unavailable next time.

Sorry but I'd have to say something. I'd wait until she tried to rebook and tell her that I won't be accepting any more bookings as she's clearly unhappy with the service I've been providing, and she'd be better off finding another nail tech. And without referring directly to the incident your friend told you about, I'd make it clear that you know she's been badmouthing you. That's just me ;)

I think I would suggest she doesn't have gel polish any more. Tell her they should be lasting much longer and they're obviously not suitable for her needs and you feel she is not getting value for money from them. She is making your work look bad!

Latest posts

Back