Would you sell retail items to a non client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
I was just having a think this evening, and a question occurred to me:

There was a recent thread on here asking which enamels people rate, and a few folk said that they wouldnt use anything that the client can get easily on the high street, which I totally agree with.

So, what would you do if someone came into your salon who was not a regular client, who was not intending to book a service, but just wanted to buy a product? Would you sell to them? Personally I'm thinking that when I set up I would only sell to clients. Earlier this year I was having my enhancements done when someone came in and asked to buy an enamel that her friend had recommended, and the tech sold it to her no probs. It was clear that she wasnt a client, I cant help thinking that I would have said that products are only available for sale with a service, or would that be wrong?

How would you deal with a situation like that, just out of interest??

i would definately sell retail products to anyone and his wife!!!!

gosh yes !! why wouldn't you??

gosh yes !! why wouldn't you??

I think its because of the theory behind the reason for not using products that the client can easily buy on the high street, and also because I would want to encourage that person to book a service. I dont know if thats what my definite policy would be once I'm open to the public, its just a question that occurred to me and that was my initial reaction :)

i would most definately sell too non clients.
i use bed head products and their is a salon that i dont go to for a service but i go there to buy my bedhead products.....they know what and how i should use them....
if you dont sell to non clients they will spend their money else where...you know the products so can advice...
why wouldnt you sell to non clients ??????????

Would I turn down a sale because they are not a client, nope huni......
That's how I sell my Solar Oil, my enamels and anything else that I have on retail display...it's there to be sold lol.....
They read about it in the glossies and I sell it..... there is no small print in the glossies saying that they have to be a client to purchase this. I run a business and retailing is part of this, every penny counts as they make pounds. They know that I am a CND Technician and can get their wanted goodies from me. Many times people have actually called Hyperion group and asked about a polish colour or Solar oil that they have seen a write up about, Hyperion asked their location and then referred them to me.... this is how we keep CND retail items of the supermarket shelf.... by making it exclusive for sale only at CND Salons.... and who knows hun, the sale of one little bottle of say Solar Oil can lead to them wanting other things like a fab Spa Manicure and then bingo they become a client..... and it keeps them off ebay and on my doorstep lol..........
JMHO
xxxx

I think its because of the theory behind the reason for not using products that the client can easily buy on the high street, and also because I would want to encourage that person to book a service. I dont know if thats what my definite policy would be once I'm open to the public, its just a question that occurred to me and that was my initial reaction :)

right I see your point, but (even if you own a high street salon )your not retailing/using high street products, your retailing professional retail products, iykwim xx
I love opi products but my main reason for not training with them is that they (polish etc) are available from high street stores, I buy my facial products from my beautician, even though I could buy them from a department store, I trust the professional.

Would I turn down a sale because they are not a client, nope huni......
That's how I sell my Solar Oil, my enamels and anything else that I have on retail display...it's there to be sold lol.....
They read about it in the glossies and I sell it..... there is no small print in the glossies saying that they have to be a client to purchase this. I run a business and retailing is part of this, every penny counts as they make pounds. They know that I am a CND Technician and can get their wanted goodies from me. Many times people have actually called Hyperion group and asked about a polish colour or Solar oil that they have seen a write up about, Hyperion asked their location and then referred them to me.... this is how we keep CND retail items of the supermarket shelf.... by making it exclusive for sale only at CND Salons.... and who knows hun, the sale of one little bottle of say Solar Oil can lead to them wanting other things like a fab Spa Manicure and then bingo they become a client..... and it keeps them off ebay and on my doorstep lol..........
JMHO
xxxx
perfectly put, thanks ruth !!

Yes of course,we have many walk ins where people just want to buy a bottle of polish or something.They may never require a treatment but so what...its a sale and at the end of the day and puts food on our tables.:green:

Hi, I completely understand what all of you are saying, and I too will be making the most of retail opportunities when I "go live". Being that the initial reaction seems to be that you would def sell to non-clients, I would be inclined to do the same if thats the standard industry practice.

The only thing thats baffling me now is this (please excuse me if I'm coming across as thick, I'm really not, but I'm new and still getting to grips with how things operate in the industry!). If you openly sell to non clients, what separates the CND brand from the brands that are easily available on the high street? As most people said in a previous thread, they wouldnt use products that the client can easily buy?? I know that the quality of the products is far superior, but I was under the impression that it was the fact that its an elite product which is not generally available.

Am I barking up completely the wrong tree here? :lol:

CND is not easily available on the high street as in.... supermarkets, chemists aso..... it is only available from a CND Salon or CND Technician.
CND for example is a professional brand only available from a CND if you like approved source. When we say using a brand that is not generally available we mean, one that is exclusive to only CND Salons and Technicians......... Exclusive yes, but not so unavailable that people get fed up with it not being available at all or it comes with a only available to client clause attached to it......
This puts the product on the top shelf, but not out of reach if you know what I mean...

well even though we all sell it, its still not generally available is it, if i now wanted to get get a creative polish (or any other professional enamel)at this time of night i couldn't get 1, but if i popped down to any 24 hour supermarket i could get lots of varnishes there, what i'm trying to say you do still have to go out of your way to get it, not every body has it only profesionals, thats why is elite as you say!

think you bet me there ruth!

and explained it much better than i! although i meant exactly that

jan
x

Yes of course,we have many walk ins where people just want to buy a bottle of polish or something.They may never require a treatment but so what...its a sale and at the end of the day and puts food on our tables.:green:
Amen to that!:lol:

I have had lots of people walk in to buy products that have not been a client for a treatment...dont get so hung up on it hun,you are providing a professional product,have faith and know you are the professional here,and have the knowledge to ratail a particular product to that persons needs,wether it be skin care or hair or nail care.You stock a salon professional brand,that cuts the cake with high street OTC products,and you cant compare...happy retailing!!:hug::green:

If you openly sell to non clients, what separates the CND brand from the brands that are easily available on the high street? As most people said in a previous thread, they wouldnt use products that the client can easily buy?? I know that the quality of the products is far superior, but I was under the impression that it was the fact that its an elite product which is not generally available.

Hi Chelle,
I understand your point. I think the difference is that you are a trained professional retailing a product you have specific training in. Even though they don't purchase a service, you can advise them on proper use and recommend other products too.

you're shooting your self in the foot if you start restricting your market!!!

sell!!!!!!

sell!!!!!!

sell!!!!!!

Thankyou all, your advice has helped me to "get it" if you know what I mean!

To be honest, it was just a question that occurred to me while I was washing the dishes last night, my future salon is within a tanning salon on the first floor of a complex, and so I dont imagine I'll be inundated with retail only requests, as there's no passing trade. Some tanning clients might be intrigued I suppose though.

Well anyway, thanks again, it's been nice of you all to share the benefit of your experience with a newie I appreciate it :green:

Hmm not sure if you have confused yourself here! There is a difference between buying an OTC (over the counter) product and a professional product. The former is usually of lower quality (but not always) than the latter and its sale is not restricted to professional salons. The good thing about clients buying from a good professional is that they get proper advice on getting the right product and how to use it to get maximum results.

Would I sell retail products to non clients? You bet your life I would.
Would I sell a product just to get a sale? No I wouldn't, if the product was not right for the client then I wouldn't let them waste their money

I was just having a think this evening, and a question occurred to me:

There was a recent thread on here asking which enamels people rate, and a few folk said that they wouldnt use anything that the client can get easily on the high street, which I totally agree with.

So, what would you do if someone came into your salon who was not a regular client, who was not intending to book a service, but just wanted to buy a product? Would you sell to them? Personally I'm thinking that when I set up I would only sell to clients. Earlier this year I was having my enhancements done when someone came in and asked to buy an enamel that her friend had recommended, and the tech sold it to her no probs. It was clear that she wasnt a client, I cant help thinking that I would have said that products are only available for sale with a service, or would that be wrong?

How would you deal with a situation like that, just out of interest??

Of course I would sell retail products to non clients. :eek:

Todays non clients are tomorrows clients.

That's what retail is all about!!! Selling to the customers who come into the salon, whether or not they have a nail service. Man alive I wouldn't even consider not selling to anyone who wanted to purchase my retail items.

I'm in BUSINESS

Hi, I completely understand what all of you are saying, and I too will be making the most of retail opportunities when I "go live". Being that the initial reaction seems to be that you would def sell to non-clients, I would be inclined to do the same if thats the standard industry practice.

The only thing thats baffling me now is this (please excuse me if I'm coming across as thick, I'm really not, but I'm new and still getting to grips with how things operate in the industry!). If you openly sell to non clients, what separates the CND brand from the brands that are easily available on the high street? As most people said in a previous thread, they wouldnt use products that the client can easily buy?? I know that the quality of the products is far superior, but I was under the impression that it was the fact that its an elite product which is not generally available.

Am I barking up completely the wrong tree here?

CND is an elite product that is only sold through professional salons. That is the difference.

Hi

If someone wants to buy my products i sell them with a smile and a thank you for your custom! Anyone who walks through my door is a potential client, retail or professional.

I wouldn't refuse ever, a sale is a sale :wink2:

Latest posts

Back