Would you use MMA? Are you tempted?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expected people to give an opinion and not jump down my throat, after all as you say were all professionals :hug:

Ah but you see my friend with true professionalism comes a firey passion

(which can often be mistaken for the "jumping down the throat" as you describe it :wink2:)

Exactly.........

I was simply wondering from a professional group opinion who, if any of you had had this thought or whether you were money hungry enough to be tempted :confused:

For those of you who have jumped down my throat, questionng my professionalism, education or ethics :eek: Wind your necks back in !!

Angel fingers :) Spot On :)

I have to say I have never considered it, I am trained in Acrylics aswell as my choosen brand and am constantly faced with clients who have experienced nail 'treatments' from NSS.

:lol: Just minding the gap :lol:

J
I have only just seen this thread and to tell you the truth I am absolutely gobsmacked - not only by the question but by the fact you tell us to "wind your necks back in !!" HOW VERY RUDE!

Asking a question to evoke a debate is fine and is always welcomed, and perhaps if worded differently could have been - but surely you realise that on a professional forum everyone would be up in arms with a question like the one you have posed and the way in which it has been asked ?? - sorry if you don't like what I am saying - but I certainly won't be "winding my neck in" on this opinion!

I expected people to give an opinion and not jump down my throat, after all as you say were all professionals :hug:

Of course we are mate..and we do love a good debate here.
But to ask a question about us even considering MMA is a bit of a non starter tbh.
It's a bit like asking the Pope to consider taking illegal drugs.
jmho

Have a read of those two articles above, why on earth would any self respecting, ethical, professional technician want to use a product that isn't intended for use on nails?

For those of you who have jumped down my throat, questionng my professionalism, education or ethics :eek: Wind your necks back in !!

I have to say I have never considered it, I am trained in Acrylics aswell as my chosen brand and am constantly faced with clients who have experienced nail 'treatments' from NSS.

I was the person who mentioned ethics but they weren't your ethics, I said "why would any self respecting, ethical, professional technician want to use a product that isn't intended for use on nails?"
I won't wind my neck in, not where standing up for a professional product versus MMA is concerned, and I know I'm not alone with that thought!

You said you are constantly faced with clients who have experienced nail 'treatments' from NSS...
What are their opinions after they've have a professional treatment from yourself?
Would they go back to having MMA or do they prefer to go to a technician who has their natural nail health at the forefront of their mind even though the treatment takes a bit longer and is possibly more expensive?
I'm hoping you're going to say that 99% of them have stayed with you and wouldn't step foot in a NSS again :green:

There was nothing wrong with your question...it was your reasons for anyone who had been tempted to use MMA that i personally found ill informed...quicker and stronger !!...thats simply not true.

My neck is as it should be...:lol:

Yes, your right 99% of them have come back (that's not a true mathematical conclusion but a guide)... the trouble I faced was getting them to agree to come in and see me to start with, a more expensive and longer treatment. which may I add does last and is of a good quality but sometimes not as 'Rock' solid as MMA.....

Simply a debate :green:

Yes, your right 99% of them have come back (that's not a true mathematical conclusion but a guide)... the trouble I faced was getting them to agree to come in and see me to start with, a more expensive and longer treatment. which may I add does last and is of a good quality but sometimes not as 'Rock' solid as MMA.....

great to see that clients when educated of the dangers, stay with you:hug:

I expect they will see the most amazing difference in the condition of their nails with you offering Calgel.:hug:

MMA is extremely hard and as such having MMA on your nails can cause very serious problems. When enough force is applied to an MMA enhancement to break it, the result is usually enough force to tear the natural nail plate apart. This can lead to permanent nail plate damage if the tearing is located around or near the matrix or lunula. It can also result in an increased risk of serious infections due to the tearing and exposure of the nail bed or surrounding tissue.

Due to the severe hardness of MMA, the only way to file is through excessive drilling. Most techs irresponsible enough to use MMA are far too irresponsible to use an electric file. Techs that use MMA could care less about the health of the natural nail plate and as a consequence, the client suffers. Much of the damage associated through the use of MMA comes from severe damage attempting to apply and maintain the indestructible enhancements with a drill. The extra amount of drilling required to maintain these enhancements leads to situations where technicians burn the nail bed, over-thin the plate, and even drill through the natural nail plate.

So after reading this (in one of the articles already quoted to you) do you think "rock" solid is such a great idea?

Debating is fine - being rude isn't!

"Rock" solid as MMa isn't good though is it - if a nail is caught, it will certainly be ripped entirely off as a whole rather than if there is flexibility with it - hope I am making myself understandable - long day...........

You are concerned that we may have been insulting to you, by the manner in which we responded to your question, but if you refer back to my original post:

I have to scratch my head in wonder that you would ask a question like that.

This site is a VERY professional site RAMPANT with dedicated, skilled, conscientious and respected technicians.
I would be flabbergasted/shocked/stunned if any here would even think of it for a second, never mind give thought to it and consider using it.

That you would ask such a question like this of technicians of such caliber is, in a word........... insulting.
We fight it daily, and the damage it causes to our industry.
We rant and rave about it nearly daily.
Where have you been that you don't see us fighting against it?

I'm thinking you missed your morning cuppa. That's the best I can figure, if you ask a question such as this.

I found the question, in of itself, to be insulting to US.
I fail to see the necessity of posting such a question. It has done nothing but wind people up.
We are often advised to think, before we post a thread/reply to a thread.
Had you done that and had you considered the QUALITY and CALIBER of nail techs on this forum, you would never have posed the question in the first place.
With a glance at the threads that appear daily, your answer to this ridiculous question was already there.

jmho, shoot me if you must.

i have spent far more on training and top quality products than i have made back but would not even consider it an option :eek:
not jumping down anyones throat just saying it as it is for me , and to be honest i dont think anyone on here would even know where to get the dodgy stuff from :lol:
i have seen wrecked nails done with professional products so god only knows what they look like with mma :eek:

Enough with this rise of defense!! I haven't commented on this topic, only because I can see everyone has it under control!! :wink2:

I just want to say how much I appreciate all of YOU guys and gals, for your professionalism, drive, and patience, and all your help. Weather it be to fellow geeks, this industry, or the communities we serve. I have truly learned a lot from all of you, and I really try to help out when I can, if I can. We eccept eachothers individualities, but sometimes they cause threads like these, I know I've been in them, but you learn!! Thats what we are here for! :hug:

And when someone who isn't in this industry or is new to this industry reads this thread, they will know TO STAY THE H*LL AWAY FROM MMA!!
:mad::mad::mad: :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

*snort*

I KNEW this would be better than watching TV today!

I've brought cookies, popcorn gets stuck in my teeth :D

Now where do I get a good drink.....

*snort*

I KNEW this would be better than watching TV today!

I've brought cookies, popcorn gets stuck in my teeth :D

Now where do I get a good drink.....

Yep, you sure have a way of getting the party started!

Of course we are mate..and we do love a good debate here.
But to ask a question about us even considering MMA is a bit of a non starter tbh.
It's a bit like asking the Pope to consider taking illegal drugs.
jmho
Or asking if he'd convert to Islam.....personally I wouldn't use it because of the reasons already stated.

I would say however, coming from my own clients experiences of the NSS salons who use this product, the service is not always quicker, it depends on which tech you get sometimes you can be in there for 2 hours for a new full set....

and if you go in for a fill as a walk in.....which is what they advertise....walk ins welcome....you can be sat waiting for a very long time as they take the new full sets in before they even consider the fills. An appointment system doesn't seem to exist here in the Bristol NSS.

Rock solid nails.......... Hmmmmmmmmmm............
In enhancements strength doesn't equal hardness.. strength is measured by flexibility and to be able to flex and provide movement without breaking.....not something that is rock solid..... When something is rock solid it becomes less flexible and more likely to shatter. There is no give, it shatters on impact and the results can be horrendous. EMA is the way to go.....

The strength that is needed in an enhancement, comes from using a good product that provides flexibility, a product that has the technology to link polymers like say a wire fence. The skills of a good and sound technician to know where to place the apex and make the nail structurally sound. Bring all this together with a fab nail friendly preparation of the nail plate and there is no reason on earth why anyone would want to use MMA.

Have I ever been tempted to use MMA, nope never......
It makes no sense to me to use a technology outdated product. A product that is so hard to file that I have to use an e-file. (No disrespect to E-file users here as they have their place in the industry). Discolours and is only marginally cheaper then a good sound EMA monomer. A product that actually doesn't like Keratin much and needs a rough surface like Velcro to stick to and smells like cats pee when filed............I am a Nail Technician not a Nail Butcher.... my first and foremost responsibility is to have the greatest respect for the natural nail and give my clients a nail that is beautifully to the eye and not an underlaying can off worms should they want to go "eau natural".....

JMHO

Why should MMA not be used? There are four main reasons:
  1. MMA nail products do not adhere well to the nail plate. To make these products adhere, nail technicians often shred up (etch) the surface of the nail. This thins the nail plate and makes it weaker.
  2. MMA creates the hardest and most rigid nail enhancements, which makes them very difficult to break. When jammed or caught, the overly filed and thinned natural nail plate will often break before the MMA enhancement, leading to serious nail damage.
  3. MMA is extremely difficult to remove. Since it will not dissolve in product removers, it is usually pried from the nail plate, creating still more damage.
  4. The FDA says don't use it! This is clearly the most important reason. The FDA bases their prohibition on the large number of consumer complaints resulting from the use of MMA nail enhancements in the late 70's and they continue to maintain this position today. In the early 1970s, FDA received a number of complaints of personal injury associated with the use of fingernail extenders containing methyl methacrylate monomer. Among these injuries were reports of fingernail damage and deformity, as well as contact dermatitis. On the basis of its investigations of the injuries and discussions with medical experts in the field of dermatology, FDA concluded that liquid methyl methacrylate was a poisonous and deleterious substance that should not be used in fingernail preparations. The agency chose to remove products containing 100 percent liquid methyl methacrylate monomer through court proceedings, which resulted in a preliminary injunction against one firm as well as several seizure actions and voluntary recalls.
  5. Although there is no specific regulation prohibiting the use of liquid methyl methacrylate monomer in cosmetic products, FDA continues to believe that this substance, when used in cosmetic fingernail preparations, is a poisonous and deleterious substance.
    How do you know if your salon or technician is using MMA?
    • MMA has an unusually strong or strange odor which doesn't smell like other acrylic liquids. Odor is present during application and when filing cured product (for fill-ins or repairs).​
    • Enhancements which are extremely hard and very difficult to file even with coarse abrasives.​
    • Enhancements that will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics.​
    • Cloudy or milky color when cured.​
    Additional warning signs though less definitive:​
    • Low price of fills and full sets (MMA cost 1/3 of EMA)​
    • Dust or ventilation masks used (many technicians use dust masks today who do not use MMA)​
    • Unlabeled containers - technician will not show or tell the client what brand of product is being used.​
    For more information on MMA, please visit this site: http://www.beautytech.info This site has many articles relating to nails for the consumer, and is very informative.​

Rock solid nails.......... Hmmmmmmmmmm............
In enhancements strength doesn't equal hardness.. strength is measured by flexibility and to be able to flex and provide movement without breaking.....not something that is rock solid..... When something is rock solid it becomes less flexible and more likely to shatter. There is no give, it shatters on impact and the results can be horrendous. EMA is the way to go.....

The strength that is needed in an enhancement, comes from using a good product that provides flexibility, a product that has the technology to link polymers like say a wire fence. The skills of a good and sound technician to know where to place the apex and make the nail structurally sound. Bring all this together with a fab nail friendly preparation of the nail plate and there is no reason on earth why anyone would want to use MMA.

Have I ever been tempted to use MMA, nope never......
It makes no sense to me to use a technology outdated product. A product that is so hard to file that I have to use an e-file. (No disrespect to E-file users here as they have their place in the industry). Discolours and is only marginally cheaper then a good sound EMA monomer. A product that actually doesn't like Keratin much and needs a rough surface like Velcro to stick to and smells like cats pee when filed............I am a Nail Technician not a Nail Butcher.... my first and foremost responsibility is to have the greatest respect for the natural nail and give my clients a nail that is beautifully to the eye and not an underlaying can off worms should they want to go "eau natural".....

JMHO

Yes.....what she said!!

No need for debate on this ....we are professionals and have no need for MMA, not now, not ever, never.........

Yes.....what she said!!

No need for debate on this ....we are professionals and have no need for MMA, not now, not ever, never.........

good debate all the same though. although it has been raised before, the whole issue might be new to some of the boards most recent members.

its a good way of educating more techs on the dangers of mma.

Latest posts

Back