Wow - the ugly face of disappointment!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
So I’m reopening on Saturday, and have been posting on my website & Facebook from the beginning of the lockdown, that those who were cancelled due to Covid will be given priority when I can reopen and as I work alone, and was booked 3 months in advance, I will be unable to accept new bookings till at least mid August/September......
I have been ‘pestered’ - for want of a better expression - by those who were not in this category - to remember that they need seeing ASAP - to which I always replied in the same way ....
‘Only those who were cancelled will be contacted with a new appointment - unfortunately if that was not you, I cannot book any new appointments until I have honoured those who were cancelled’
Today, yet another rude response....
This client had her appointment cancelled - 3 weeks into Covid
So keeping things fair, I rebooked her 3 weeks into the reopening
“I want to be booked for a cut & colour on July 11th @ 2.00...”
“Sorry, as you were 3 weeks in - your slot is July 16th @ 2.00...., I am however trying to recruit another stylist, so if successful I can book you in with them, or should one of my clients cancel that week I will obviously let you know......”
“ I am so disappointed in you - after all these years.... I will have to look to go elsewhere...

I shouldn’t be surprised - but I am!
It hurts as I am trying to be fair, looking at taking on extra costs by employing to keep everyone happy.... doing a 6 day week..... and then a reply like that lands
Yes I have done this ladies hair for years...offering excellent hairdressing at a very affordable price.
I do not owe her!

Sadly I think we will get quite a few responses like that, it hits even harder when the sender is someone we may have considered a 'friend'

She's unlikely to get in anywhere decent any quicker. She'll be a new client to whoever she tries to book in with, they too will be prioritising their faithful, loyal regulars. Anyone with availability would concern me. When she comes back remind her your prices have increased ;)

How rude. Don’t give in to people like that. For the sake of waiting a few days more, pathetic.
You sound busy enough with people like that lovely never fear x

I am a beauty therapist, so when we got the news that only hair salons would be opening on 4th the messages still came rolling in... I had 2 very different responses within an hour, one was a lady who is a bit of a whirlwind, and is “desperate” for an appointment and when I told her that I don’t have a date to reopen yet, she said that she’s sorry for me and that I deserve the break & to make the most of it and let her know as soon as I know.. nice response and she will definitely get a call from me ASAP... on the other side I got a response “that’s ridiculous, I can’t see why you can’t just do my nails...” this was from my best friends mum! I was pretty shocked. So, it becomes obvious who is out for themselves and who are actually thinking about the impact this has had on our lives as well as theirs!!!

I have had such a wake up call during lock down. I would regularly work 80 hrs a week, putting the needs of my clients before my own. Never again. I've had clients tell bare faced lies, trying to manipulate me into working before restrictions were lifted, and others being totally inflexible. I learnt a long time ago that clients are not friends, if they can get the same result £5 cheaper elsewhere, they will go. Usually they come back, at which point any discounts, or 'above and beyond' treatment stops - that's reserved for loyal clients. I hate to be so negative but I think we're all in for a bit of a turbulent time.

About one month into lockdown - we were being spoken about as if we were ‘Demi Gods....’
Gush gush.... “ I can’t wait for my lovely hairdresser to return...”
Now however we are back to being at their service - bottom rung of the ladder...apparently at their beck & call
Their belief is that by now we are so skint - so desperate that we will be happy working ‘round the clock’ to pander to their every whim

I have booked to open 6 days for the he first 2 weeks - trying to be accommodating.....
I have - as yet - not increased my prices
I’m starting to think why not!
Price the miserable b******s out
At least if they still come - they will have to pay for it!

About one month into lockdown - we were being spoken about as if we were ‘Demi Gods....’
Gush gush.... “ I can’t wait for my lovely hairdresser to return...”
Now however we are back to being at their service - bottom rung of the ladder...apparently at their beck & call
Their belief is that by now we are so skint - so desperate that we will be happy working ‘round the clock’ to pander to their every whim

I have booked to open 6 days for the he first 2 weeks - trying to be accommodating.....
I have - as yet - not increased my prices
I’m starting to think why not!
Price the miserable b******s out
At least if they still come - they will have to pay for it!
:D We're not even back yet! I dread to think what this post will be like by the end of July :D:eek: But 100% agree with everything you've said

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all good after this lockdown and feel refreshed for a new beggining. I feel like sharing my experience here for some comforting, if i may, as i feel i got so derailed by the change of my work situation, that i am struggling to get back on track...

I have been working with a salon for about a year and a half now, a startup founded by people from other fields and while it has been a nice experience, with great clients, they strectched their expansion and has been struggling with lack of staff (for a reason which is still a mistery for me, how on earth is possible not to consolidate 3 locations in 2 years with proper team members, but anyway..
I have seen good people leaving without any explanation from the owners and therefore, it has always been necessary to overwork to cover those other shifts. In parallel, i was working with another place and all together, have been many weeks of 60-80 hrs cumulated to please all sides and cover the gaps.

With the startup, during the lockdown, we have been on about a promotion for myself(i'm the second oldest in the team since opening), had to inform the other salon about my notice(leaving them extremly gutted, but somehow understanding for my new career step) a great training plan, a new recruiting strategy- it got me so excited and i couldn't wait to roll my sleeves and rock and roll.

However, last week when i received the schedule, i was shocked to see i am expected to do 12/13hrs shifts, for 4 days a week(+2 days for the one where i have my notice), so literally ending up to work 70 hrs, due the team being incomplete and them not filling up the roles, despite saying throughout the whole lockdown they are working on it and have 3 people on standby, ready to be prepared and trained with the brands techniques, bla bla bla.
I really felt like i would be an idiot to belive again it will be another "short while necessary to be flexible" and exhausting myself, especially after a 3 months break.

I got so furios, i have sent an email where i spoke everything i have on my mind regarding how dissapointed i am that for 3 months it has failed in being made a structure and we end up in exactly the same rubbish situation of lacking staff, inhumane hours, etc and finally, told them i will not be coming back.

Not even today, have i received a reply on that email and i am flabergasted, thinking that i worked for a year and a half and not even a "sorry it didn't worked out" didn't came back. In a way, it makes me see how they handle these situation and points out that it's not a place for me to be anymore, but in the same time, i really feel dissapointed, feels like breaking up without a closure, lol.

I have been thinking of leaving this place for a while now, as i really want to focus on color (which was not offered there) and also mobile/freelancing. I have worked 2 days on putting my personal website ON, after months and months of postponing, so in the back of my mind, i was prepared to make the step forward, but i feel it was very abrupt and i am trying to get over this remorse and anxiety i have.
Although, being extremly honest with myself, i really don't see myself working there anymore (gutted for the clientele, though, as they are a cool bunch).

As much as i love changes and wanted to do it, now i feel like there's a huge rock on my shoulders and i feel almost paralyzed and i am trying to figure out how to accelarate digesting this whole thing now and focusing on my next steps.

It even feels stupid how attached i got to that place and clients, despite being so demanding with the schedule and not with great benefits coming from it, except money, as i was Self Employed with them.

I'd love to read how you guys got over this kind of situations...

I am a beauty therapist and when I found out I couldn’t re open, messaged all my clients to explain the situation and letting those who had ‘provisionally’ booked in know that I would prioritise them when I was allowed to start. I made it very clear to everyone that was not opening due to Government guidelines amen that it was deemed unsafe to do so.
Within minutes I had a call from a client TELLING me that she would come to my garden for a coffee and I could then wax her!!!!
so selfish and so rude! I told her clearly and politely that NO I wasn’t doing that and that I would let her know in due course when I could!!

I am a beauty therapist, so when we got the news that only hair salons would be opening on 4th the messages still came rolling in... I had 2 very different responses within an hour, one was a lady who is a bit of a whirlwind, and is “desperate” for an appointment and when I told her that I don’t have a date to reopen yet, she said that she’s sorry for me and that I deserve the break & to make the most of it and let her know as soon as I know.. nice response and she will definitely get a call from me ASAP... on the other side I got a response “that’s ridiculous, I can’t see why you can’t just do my nails...” this was from my best friends mum! I was pretty shocked. So, it becomes obvious who is out for themselves and who are actually thinking about the impact this has had on our lives as well as theirs!!!
See my reply hun - I’ve had a very similar experience!!x

So I’m reopening on Saturday, and have been posting on my website & Facebook from the beginning of the lockdown, that those who were cancelled due to Covid will be given priority when I can reopen and as I work alone, and was booked 3 months in advance, I will be unable to accept new bookings till at least mid August/September......
I have been ‘pestered’ - for want of a better expression - by those who were not in this category - to remember that they need seeing ASAP - to which I always replied in the same way ....
‘Only those who were cancelled will be contacted with a new appointment - unfortunately if that was not you, I cannot book any new appointments until I have honoured those who were cancelled’
Today, yet another rude response....
This client had her appointment cancelled - 3 weeks into Covid
So keeping things fair, I rebooked her 3 weeks into the reopening
“I want to be booked for a cut & colour on July 11th @ 2.00...”
“Sorry, as you were 3 weeks in - your slot is July 16th @ 2.00...., I am however trying to recruit another stylist, so if successful I can book you in with them, or should one of my clients cancel that week I will obviously let you know......”
“ I am so disappointed in you - after all these years.... I will have to look to go elsewhere...

I shouldn’t be surprised - but I am!
It hurts as I am trying to be fair, looking at taking on extra costs by employing to keep everyone happy.... doing a 6 day week..... and then a reply like that lands
Yes I have done this ladies hair for years...offering excellent hairdressing at a very affordable price.
I do not owe her!
Rude - you so don’t deserve this! Chin up, you’re the better person here x

it has always been necessary to overwork to cover those other shifts. In parallel, i was working with another place and all together, have been many weeks of 60-80 hrs cumulated to please all sides and cover the gaps.
However, last week when i received the schedule, i was shocked to see i am expected to do 12/13hrs shifts, for 4 days a week(+2 days for the one where i have my notice), so literally ending up to work 70 hrs, due the team being incomplete and them not filling up the roles, despite saying throughout the whole lockdown they are working on it and have 3 people on standby, ready to be prepared and trained with the brands techniques, bla bla bla.
Although, being extremly honest with myself, i really don't see myself working there anymore (gutted for the clientele, though, as they are a cool bunch).
It even feels stupid how attached i got to that place and clients, despite being so demanding with the schedule and not with great benefits coming from it, except money, as i was Self Employed with them.

What you’ve described sounds like a typical illegal sham employment situation.

When self employed in hairdressing and having responsibility for your own tax and NI contributions, you’re effectively running your own business within a salon setting. The salon owner is simply your landlord and should have no input into how you manage your business.

You’re not an employee with the benefits that entails, so you shouldn’t ever be covering shifts for missing staff. That’s not your problem to solve.
You set your fees for services, take client monies and determine your working hours.

How did they pay you?
Who kept the client details?
Who set the cost of services?

You probably ought to report them to HMRC because otherwise, they’re going to continue operating unlawfully and duping other unsuspecting hairdressers. Plus there’s potentially breach of GDPR regs.

Terris, it seems as though you have complained about being given a 48/52 hour shift by your main salon after a 3 month period when you weren’t earning. Many people are desperate for extra hours, so it seems your salon hadn’t understood that you only wanted 24-36 hours after lockdown as you are still working 2 locations.

As an employer, on the few occasions I’ve had a staff member make it clear she isn’t a good cultural fit for my team, I often feel a huge sense of relief as I realise I’m better off without the stress. Follow your gut. It sounds as though you’ve made the right decision for both of you.

They’re reopening in a few days. They may not mean to be rude - they’re probably struggling to stay afloat.

it’s daunting taking a step into the unknown. You’re suffering from “analysis paralysis”. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself the advice you’d give a friend and write yourself a job list. Too much time can be a problem so I’d suggest you give yourself a structure whilst you reset your energy levels. Can you rescind your notice in the other salon?

What you’ve described sounds like a typical illegal sham employment situation.

When self employed in hairdressing and having responsibility for your own tax and NI contributions, you’re effectively running your own business within a salon setting. The salon owner is simply your landlord and should have no input into how you manage your business.

You’re not an employee with the benefits that entails, so you shouldn’t ever be covering shifts for missing staff. That’s not your problem to solve.
You set your fees for services, take client monies and determine your working hours.

How did they pay you?
Who kept the client details?
Who set the cost of services?

You probably ought to report them to HMRC because otherwise, they’re going to continue operating unlawfully and duping other unsuspecting hairdressers. Plus there’s potentially breach of GDPR regs.

Hi AcidPerm,

Thank you for your reply.

It is a false SE, as they admit it, basically what they say is that in a few months from now, some of the people will get to be employed with paid holiday etc, more as a "bonus" than an entitlement. The "being a startup and need to keep costs in control" card was kept being played and all the staff members are aware, but somehow put with it, as it is a cool, relaxed atmosphere and just got into being sweet talked, i guess.
Probably why so many people keep coming and going in the company, as well....

The structure was you get signed on as Contractor, shifts are sent through an app, you accept/decline/drop/exchange them with the other members of the team, paid an hourly rate + a commission for the service and retail products, all the guests are booking on the company's website/app and they are directly their clients, not yours as staff member, number of hours being anything from 16-40 PW per staff.

The meniu of services, the prices, the marketing, social media content- everything was set by the company, not by the staff members.

Based on the above stated, you reckon can be legally considered False Self Employed? Any missed benefits during this year and a half, could i backdate them in any way or there's any institution which can be a mediator?

Terris, it seems as though you have complained about being given a 48/52 hour shift by your main salon after a 3 month period when you weren’t earning. Many people are desperate for extra hours, so it seems your salon hadn’t understood that you only wanted 24-36 hours after lockdown as you are still working 2 locations.

As an employer, on the few occasions I’ve had a staff member make it clear she isn’t a good cultural fit for my team, I often feel a huge sense of relief as I realise I’m better off without the stress. Follow your gut. It sounds as though you’ve made the right decision for both of you.

They’re reopening in a few days. They may not mean to be rude - they’re probably struggling to stay afloat.

it’s daunting taking a step into the unknown. You’re suffering from “analysis paralysis”. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself the advice you’d give a friend and write yourself a job list. Too much time can be a problem so I’d suggest you give yourself a structure whilst you reset your energy levels. Can you rescind your notice in the other salon?

Hi Duchess,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I totally understand we need to make up for this 3 months and like everyone else, i was looking forward to it. The idea was very simple- let's work more days in a week with less hours per day between 2 stylists and then we can all be happy and cover all the demand...

I have been a manager myself for a 30 staff members establishment, i understand so well the business needs, the cash flow we'll have to intake- all the aspects. But in the same time, i know it's far from sustainable to have 1 person in a place for 12 hrs covering all the services, for 4-5 consecutive days.

My frustration is, probably, that the team is being seen as factory workers (no disrespect at all for the people who work in factories) and not like people who, at the end of the day, provide a service to other people. This is supposed to be a marathon, not a sprint where we burnout in 2 weeks...

On the other hand, thank you for you advice. The other salon will be happy to hear i am not leaving, as they even threw in a counter offer for a potential business partnership between us, but as i was keen on this one, i kind of dismissed it.
So i will take the chance to have a more thoroguh chat with them about it on thrusday, when we'll have a brief about the opening.

I totally agree too much time is too much, even writing it down here helped get more at ease with it and i already have my head more clear. :)

So thank you all for the support.

Based on the above stated, you reckon can be legally considered False Self Employed? Any missed benefits during this year and a half, could i backdate them in any way or there's any institution which can be a mediator?

Oh yes! Contact ACAS and tell them that your think your ex bosses know what they’re doing is illegal but persuaded you that you would be employed eventually if you accepted their current terms for a few months, but they’ve still not agreed to employ you properly.

HMRC can investigate and if they agree that it’s a sham employment arrangement will require them to pay you any outstanding monies inc. accrued money in lieu of holidays and sickness benefits.

To be honest, I’m surprised that previous disgruntled ‘employees’ haven’t already shopped them.

Oh yes! Contact ACAS and tell them that your think your ex bosses know what they’re doing is illegal but persuaded you that you would be employed eventually if you accepted their current terms for a few months, but they’ve still not agreed to employ you properly.

HMRC can investigate and if they agree that it’s a sham employment arrangement will require them to pay you any outstanding monies inc. accrued money in lieu of holidays and sickness benefits.

To be honest, I’m surprised that previous disgruntled ‘employees’ haven’t already shopped them.

Thank you, AcidPerm!

After lockdown here in Aust. I got a sms from my bosses daughter (I have a day job, not just a nail tech). Asking when she could book in to have her sns nails removed.
Firstly she is not my client.
I replied saying I don't do sns removal as I don't offer dip services and secondly even if I Did I am unable to at present as nail salons are not allowed to operate due to Covid.
Which I am sure of course she knew.
Needless to say I did not get a response from her. Rude much?
Sheesh the nerve of some people.

I have had such a wake up call during lock down. I would regularly work 80 hrs a week, putting the needs of my clients before my own. Never again. I've had clients tell bare faced lies, trying to manipulate me into working before restrictions were lifted, and others being totally inflexible. I learnt a long time ago that clients are not friends, if they can get the same result £5 cheaper elsewhere, they will go. Usually they come back, at which point any discounts, or 'above and beyond' treatment stops - that's reserved for loyal clients. I hate to be so negative but I think we're all in for a bit of a turbulent time.

Hey just wanted to comment on your response as I completely agree! Clients are out for themselves and when you actually think they are your friends they are not! It’s quite sad! Definitely feel used and abused sometimes and Iv gone above and beyond! Starting lash appointments at 7am in the morning just to make clients happy and get them in because I’m so busy! This lockdown has taught me I need to slow right down! And do what’s right for me not everyone else as they won’t do you any favours! Xx

This is why I left the beauty industry. Clients are certainly not friends. They don’t turn up to appointments or cancel last minute. We listen to all of their problems which is exhausting. I even had clients who got their treatment then when it was time to pay they said they didn’t have any money to pay me.

This is why I left the beauty industry. Clients are certainly not friends. They don’t turn up to appointments or cancel last minute. We listen to all of their problems which is exhausting. I even had clients who got their treatment then when it was time to pay they said they didn’t have any money to pay me.

That’s horrendous. Hopefully you didn’t rebook them! What did you do?

I was absolutely furious as you can imagine and told them not to come back. You can’t go into a super market and fill a basket then at the checkout say “I can’t pay you” so why do people feel it’s ok to do that in a beauty salon. We are often individuals working to pay the rent then see what’s left over for us. The god damn cheek of the public!!!

Latest posts

Back