Wowcher/Groupon for residential salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

I recently contacted Groupon as I need to build my business back up after having over a year off work due to medical issues and thought Groupon would be a great way to start.

Turns out as I have a salon at home it's classed as a residential business and therefore wouldn't count.

Does anyone else work from home? Are you able to recommend any services that work in a similar fashion to Wowcher & Groupon?

I offer FREE beauty treatments to people with brain tumours perhaps someone could help with ideas to promote this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!

I recently contacted Groupon as I need to build my business back up after having over a year off work due to medical issues and thought Groupon would be a great way to start.

Turns out as I have a salon at home it's classed as a residential business and therefore wouldn't count.

Does anyone else work from home? Are you able to recommend any services that work in a similar fashion to Wowcher & Groupon?

I offer FREE beauty treatments to people with brain tumours perhaps someone could help with ideas to promote this?

Thanks in advance!

Look at the CCC group. Www.clickconnectioncorp.co.uk go into the membership tab and click on hair and beauty group, I have recommended this company a few times and geeks have been successful from this. I have a testimonial on there also on the hair side. It helped me when I first started out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you tried Facebook offers?

Have you tried Facebook offers?

Do you mean on your fb page? My residential nail salon only has 27 likes so wouldn't go far :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You'd be surprised how quick your liked will go up. In order for anyone to enter they must like your page and share the competition

Make it worth their while and you will gain plenty more likers. But you really want "buyers" not likers. So once you have a good number of fans offer a discount for Facebook fans etc

The main thing with Facebook is to keep your page updated using the 80/20 rule. 80% interesting relevant stuff 20% business

If a liker doesn't interact with your page Facebook assumes they are no longer interested and they remove it from their feed

Another way is to create a Facebook offer. You can set budget target your location etc etc

Do you mean on your fb page? My residential nail salon only has 27 likes so wouldn't go far :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could always join forces with other pages that compliment your business and offer discounts for their fans ( making sure they like your page in the process of getting the discount)

Get your friends to share and review your page. Tell them all instead of a Christmas card you want a share on Facebook lol

If a liker doesn't interact with your page Facebook assumes they are no longer interested and they remove it from their feed

Hmmmm that's an interesting bit of knowledge Wifey, thank you. And would explain a lot!
So does it vanish from their feed forever??

Hmmmm that's an interesting bit of knowledge Wifey, thank you. And would explain a lot!
So does it vanish from their feed forever??

No but they manually have to click a setting somewhere to view everything. Most people don't realise and safe to say my personal Facebook goes round with only a few friends status's I see.

FB likes can build really quickly. We did a series of giveaways, free product or free service, and ppl had to "like" the post to be in it but could double their chances by clicking "share" and commenting. Make sure you put "winner will be selected on..," then you can choose a good winner (ie someone localish with a ton of Facebook friends!) rather than pretending it's random. About 5 times out of 10 they will post on their timeline that they've had a lovely cut or whatever.

Phil xxx

No but they manually have to click a setting somewhere to view everything. Most people don't realise and safe to say my personal Facebook goes round with only a few friends status's I see.

Hmmm thank you BP :) but how an earth do you inform then to click n set etc when they can't see it ... Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread :)

Livingsocial always chasing me to feature.

local selling pages on facebook have been good for me recently, the trick is to find a picture that people connect with, its taken me 4 pictures (including a free comp) to find what people want to see from me.

What i find is people dont like my page, but they do message me. Im ok with that.

I didnt get anything from the free comp i ran, i got maybe 20 likes, it was a real struggle, ive given up now pushing it as scrooge has set in, i dont want to give anything away so it'll sit there for 6 months at this rate before I hit 100 likes! :irked:

I honestly would say dont go down the road of deal sites. From experience it is more hassle than its worth, plus it makes it so hard to put ur prices up to what they should be afterwards. Just advertise as much as you can, attend local events such as xmas fayres and promote your business that way so that people know you are out there. Sometimes its just a case of letting yourself be known.

Hope this helps xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Look at the CCC group. Www.clickconnectioncorp.co.uk go into the membership tab and click on hair and beauty group, I have recommended this company a few times and geeks have been successful from this. I have a testimonial on there also on the hair side. It helped me when I first started out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi do are you still a member, this company has rang me today was it really as good as they say? 😏
Thanks x

Hi do are you still a member, this company has rang me today was it really as good as they say? ��
Thanks x

I have never had a problem with this company, I know Geeks that have got involved with them through my recommendation. However if you are not sure how they work I will explain.

Click corporation advertise in the big high profile magazines like Gracia, Elle, etc in the form of competitions, advertising etc generally stating that if you (the public) fill out your contact details you will receive a complimentary cut and blow dry/beauty treatment - There are hairdressers and beauticians all over the UK that are members of this scheme, the cost for a lifetime membership is circa £50 and your salon is given exclusivity for the postcodes you will stipulate. (no good really servicing clients 50 miles away).

Every Friday you are emailed (by click corporation) a list of contact details from entrants of click corporation's adverts within the postcodes you have stipulated, you then call and make arrangements for them to book an appointment in your salon for either a free cut and blow dry or if beauty, a beauty treatment of which you can decide. You do not receive any money for this whatsoever, your job is to complete the service and retain the customers. Some weeks I have no clients from this, the next week I'll have two clients so on an so forth, I have never received more than five in any one week. You chose what days, times and who will complete the service within a three month time scale, good for minimum wage staff, perfect for newly qualified or any free time for seniors if trying to build a column.

Upsell is the key here! It works very well for me, we have retained about 70% of these clients and have been working with Click Corporation for about a year. This is different from a deal site, like I say you do not get paid, the complimentary cut and blow dry does not change, and you do not get 200 clients at a time. It is very relaxed and easy and the customers are not looking for a cheap deal as this is not a deal site!

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with this company, I know Geeks that have got involved with them through my recommendation. However if you are not sure how they work I will explain.

Click corporation advertise in the big high profile magazines like Gracia, Elle, etc in the form of competitions, advertising etc generally stating that if you (the public) fill out your contact details you will receive a complimentary cut and blow dry/beauty treatment - There are hairdressers and beauticians all over the UK that are members of this scheme, the cost for a lifetime membership is circa £50 and your salon is given exclusivity for the postcodes you will stipulate. (no good really servicing clients 50 miles away).

Every Friday you are emailed (by click corporation) a list of contact details from entrants of click corporation's adverts within the postcodes you have stipulated, you then call and make arrangements for them to book an appointment in your salon for either a free cut and blow dry or if beauty, a beauty treatment of which you can decide. You do not receive any money for this whatsoever, your job is to complete the service and retain the customers. Some weeks I have no clients from this, the next week I'll have two clients so on an so forth, I have never received more than five in any one week. You chose what days, times and who will complete the service within a three month time scale, good for minimum wage staff, perfect for newly qualified or any free time for seniors if trying to build a column.

Upsell is the key here! It works very well for me, we have retained about 70% of these clients and have been working with Click Corporation for about a year. This is different from a deal site, like I say you do not get paid, the complimentary cut and blow dry does not change, and you do not get 200 clients at a time. It is very relaxed and easy and the customers are not looking for a cheap deal as this is not a deal site!

Thanks, good to hear from our side so to speak, i have a junior doing level 3 im going to start a column for in the next month so could be good for her,

Thanks, good to hear from our side so to speak, i have a junior doing level 3 im going to start a column for in the next month so could be good for her,

Yes don't rule it out. For me personally I tend to use the girls that know how to sell and retain clients when they have a free hour here or there. It is pointless for me to use timid or newly qualified member of staff here, the client will walk in, have the free service and walk straight back out potentially without rebooking and no purchases and this is not what you want to achieve. So bear this in mind with your staff member. Like I say it is not for everyone but is good for me.

Yes don't rule it out. For me personally I tend to use the girls that know how to sell and retain clients when they have a free hour here or there. It is pointless for me to use timid or newly qualified member of staff here, the client will walk in, have the free service and walk straight back out potentially without rebooking and no purchases and this is not what you want to achieve. So bear this in mind with your staff member. Like I say it is not for everyone but is good for me.
Yes id thought about if shes confident enough to up sell, but ive spent more on adds in the local paper and got nothing, so at lease you can cap it to a few clients, thanks for your help, definitely worth more thought x

Latest posts

Back