Wraps done with different materials?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahknm

Reaction score
Not sure it this thread is in the right place but here goes.
I was doing one of my ladies who moved here about 6 months ago she has acrylic with me. She was telling me that before she moved she used to have silk nails but the technician used to go to a material shop and buy dress silk by the metre she then used to cut it up herself and use it on peoples nails.

Now I don't do silk only for repairs but I wouldn't have though you could do this or am i wrong.:!:

By the way just noticed the little face at the side of my thread. My little boy pressed this on just as I was posting it. I bet I look like a right one!!

People have all sorts of things for names so don't worry!!!

I've heard someone mention it I'm sure, I seem to remember someone telling me it was possable to do this with coloured silks too but whether this is true or not i'm not sure!

i have heard of ppl using silk scarves when doing wraps for a different look or effect before

.... if you have a willing volunteer give it a go ;)

I would imagine that the silk 'material' would have been encased after the regular silk/fibreglass had been applied.
It would be difficult to get the resin to penetrate through the material unless it was an extremely thin viscosity resin like Fabric# Bond.

If you positioned the fabric on the first layer when it was still slightly tacky it might be ok

Hmmm well, I've encased other fabrics.....

So, I am supposing it's possible, IF as stated, the fabric is thin enough AND the resin thin enough as well.

Hmm would like to try the coloured one.. sounds interesting :wink2:

ive read this somewhere before.. but although i havent tried it myself... i think they use to use this method before the silk with the sticky back that we use nowadays came along... i think they also used to use linen as well..

what i do know though, is that.. i used to work with many many types of silk.. (i used to work in a company which makes wedding dresses) and ive seen very very fine silk.. even finer than the silk we can buy these days to use as a wrap...

so i guess its possible..?

ive read this somewhere before.. ?

Was it in Octobers Scratch?
There was an article about wraps there, & in a column by Vicky Peters (I think) there was mention of this.
She mentioned that some 'very experienced' techs like to cut pieces out of silk from a haberdasher's...
using paper & linen were also mentioned as potential wrap materials.

Yes this can be done. The woman I work with has her nails done in this way and apparently it's really quick and her nails always look lovely.

She explained to me that her nail tech gets a square of the silk, lays it over the nail and gathers it up underneath the finger and twists it so it lays tightly against the nail ( like a sweet is wrapped if that makes sense ) and then applies the resin in several layers as normal and activates. When this is done she then buffs of the excess silk when finishing the nail. It saves messing about with the fiddly stick on silk which I find can be a bit tricky especially when doing an infill. I've never tried it myself but she showed me the silk she uses and it's the very finest 'wedding' silk as she calls it, no thicker than the stick on silk really. She gets it from a big dept. store which sells materials on the rolls. It works out a lot cheaper too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's where the term 'silk wrap' comes from?

There are lots of materials you can use with EC Resin, they just have to be thin, so the nail doesn't end up to bulky looking...I have used a lot of silk ribbons, the one you use for wrapping up pressy's....they are a bit fiddly to use, but a doddle ones you get the hang of it....
Well worth a play I say xxxx

I have used a lot of silk ribbons, the one you use for wrapping up pressy's....they are a bit fiddly to use, but a doddle ones you get the hang of it....
Well worth a play I say xxxx
so would you apply as per normal fibreglass, ie size to fit the area of the nail etc?
I'm assuming you can use coloured silks and have the effect of a painted nail but without using enamel???

so would you apply as per normal fibreglass, ie size to fit the area of the nail etc?
I'm assuming you can use coloured silks and have the effect of a painted nail but without using enamel???

Here is one Technique I use on a clear tip....Elaine Watson

If you want to cover the whole nail, cut the strip so it looks the same as a pre cut sticky back looking silk strip,leave the edge overhanging, place a tiny drop of resin in the center of the nail in zone 3.
Place your pre cut silk on the nail and push it down with the resin nozzle, still my favorite resin lol, then when it is pretty much adhered, run a line of resin down the centre towards the free edge of the nail and spread it out evenly.
Then when it is nearly dry pull gently at the free edge to bring it in flush with the sides. Resin again and let it air dry, Resin again with a thick viscosity resin and activate, then file, to tidy up the side walls a slim Kanga will do the trick and buff to finish.....
There are lots of different ways to do this and if it works for you then it is the right way for you.....
Have a play, lace is fab and so is netting.... netting comes in some fab colours and is such fun.....
HTH

thanks for that link Ruth, those nails look pretty fab :D
I can see I'm going to have to go into the local haberdasheries and have a try at this technique... it's not something I thought possible, thanks for the insight :D

Wow, i'm loving this idea. Never thought of using anything other than fibreglass.

Thanks for the link Ruth.:green:

thanks for that link Ruth, those nails look pretty fab :D
I can see I'm going to have to go into the local haberdasheries and have a try at this technique... it's not something I thought possible, thanks for the insight :D
Never mind the haberdashery, have a look what you got laying about..... you will be amazed what can be recycled.... old stockings, use the lace from them as long as the lace is pretty thin.... even use the stocking material itself....... Have a play babe xxx

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Ruth those nails are fab. Can't wait to have a go myself.

Thanks x

Latest posts

Back