Wrist pain, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a beauty therapist for 2 years now and my most popular treatment is massage.

I’m really struggling with my wrist and thumb pain and have tried everything to try to help it!
I’ve done exercises, Epsom salt baths, massaging with only my elbows and forearms and nothing is helping it!

I have tiny wrists so I don’t know if that could potentially be causing the problems?

If I go to the doctor can they do anything to help me?

It’s starting to effect most things I do (even typing on my phone is becoming painful) and it’s making me not want to do it anymore :’(

Just looking for some advice really!

Thank you[emoji173]️

A doctors visit will help to identify your problem, and then probably send you for physiotherapy .
Wrist strengthening exercises will help and maybe use a wrist brace(s) to help keep your wrists straight whilst in bed sleeping. I had my wrist braces provided by the physio dept at my local hospital
I use mine from time to time when I have a tendonitis flare up or my bones just hurt! Unfortunately it is your work and you need to make some changes to reduce the overuse of your hands.
I already have arthritic fingers and wrists ,so have almost completely stopped massage to save them from further wear and tear.
I use my elbows to really get deeply into the tissues if I have the occasional back massage booked in.
You may have to look in wrist saving new massage techniques such as :- Lava shells, hot stones, bamboo massage to name a few alternatives. Let the heat do the work for you..and you will be charging higher prices for the new techniques.
You need to make something else your most popular treatment for a good future ahead in the business, so i wish you well.
So off you go to your GP as your first step in looking after yourself.

A doctors visit will help to identify your problem, and then probably send you for physiotherapy .
Wrist strengthening exercises will help and maybe use a wrist brace(s) to help keep your wrists straight whilst in bed sleeping. I had my wrist braces provided by the physio dept at my local hospital
I use mine from time to time when I have a tendonitis flare up or my bones just hurt! Unfortunately it is your work and you need to make some changes to reduce the overuse of your hands.
I already have arthritic fingers and wrists ,so have almost completely stopped massage to save them from further wear and tear.
I use my elbows to really get deeply into the tissues if I have the occasional back massage booked in.
You may have to look in wrist saving new massage techniques such as :- Lava shells, hot stones, bamboo massage to name a few alternatives. Let the heat do the work for you..and you will be charging higher prices for the new techniques.
You need to make something else your most popular treatment for a good future ahead in the business, so i wish you well.
So off you go to your GP as your first step in looking after yourself.

Thank you so much! That reply really really helped xx

Hiya, and you’re only a little way into your career bless you! I’ve been a beauty therapist for over 30 years and have had both shoulders operated on, regular steroid injections in my right wrist and broke my left at Christmas!! Doing the job we do really takes it’s toll and if you’re already suffering, my advice is take it easy on the massage etc and space out your appointments if possible... you have many more years to go! Good luck x

Hiya, and you’re only a little way into your career bless you! I’ve been a beauty therapist for over 30 years and have had both shoulders operated on, regular steroid injections in my right wrist and broke my left at Christmas!! Doing the job we do really takes it’s toll and if you’re already suffering, my advice is take it easy on the massage etc and space out your appointments if possible... you have many more years to go! Good luck x

thank you for your reply! It does really take it’s toll but after having 3 months off work my wrists are feeling great! I also got a new job as a medical aesthetician so I won’t be doing hardly any massages anymore so I’m hoping my wrists stay this healthy :)

I have had no neck pain since being off work, however all this sewing lark has made my thumbs complain a bit.....I am just getting too old for anything involving repetition.
I did fancy being a modern day fruit picker as a "land girl" Until my husband said "I'll give you 2 hours there and you will soon be back home in agony"
The hot wheat bags and ibuprofen would have been used continuously. The thing is that he wasn't joking.

Hilarious ,can't stop laughing about it. I still think I am 20 ! Ha ha.

Hi Littlelifestyle

I’d say that you need to retrain in hands free techniques. There are some short courses run by Jing massage, who also offer BTEC level 6 courses which teach you how to do an awesome massage without putting any strain on wrists and thumbs. One of the instructors said that she trained with Jing after her 12 year career as a physio had left her in agony and unable to work. She said it literally saved her and now she’s working full time and busier than ever (obs before lock down lol).

Bear it in mind for the future. Good luck with your new job

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back