Writing the Perfect Leaflet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Seen a few threads recently asking what they ought to put on a leaflet. However, without us knowing too much about your business it's tricky for us to give specific advice.

So, thought I'd post this up. This is an article from a newsletter I sent out recently to my clients. I did a fair bit of research (as it's a question a lot of my clients ask me) - and lot of this made sense.

A key piece of content marketing material is an eye-catching, service-selling leaflet.

Don’t be fooled however, into thinking that because it’s only a small leaflet that it doesn’t deserve the same care and attention as your website, Facebook page, or any other weapon in your marketing arsenal.

First of all, let's remind ourselves about why we want to write a good leaflet in the first place. A great leaflet can...

• Grab the attention of potential customers
• Sell the benefits of your business
• Make someone keep hold of it- and possibly show others.
• Make someone buy from you

However, a poorly written or put together leaflet can:

• Go completely ignored
• Bore your audience
• Not inform an audience about your business benefits
• Make you look unprofessional

So, to improve your chances of your leaflet being kept in a warm pocket rather than a kitchen bin, here are some simple tips to bear in mind.

Know what you like
Go to the nearest shop, salon, train station, pub or café and you’ll see thousands of different leaflets. If you’re taking the time to write a leaflet, it’s worth checking out the competition. Which ones catch your eye? Which ones hit your blind spot? Make a pile of the good versus the bad and try to identify the trends.

Chances are the good leaflets:

• Have an interesting design (not necessarily elaborate)
• Are easy to read
• Use language that appeals to you
• Are clear in what they offer

And the pile of bad leaflets:

• Look dull and /or are boring to read
• Are unclear, or have too much information
• Insult / patronise or annoy you
• Sound insincere
• Have grammatical or spelling errors (I know this is enough to send some people into a rage)

So once you have the good the bad and the ugly examples, it’s time to start drafting your own.

Start with a hungry headline
Your headline is always the most important words you write when advertising.

That’s because whilst 8 out of 10 people will read your headline, only 2 out of 10 people will read the rest. And that means if your headline fails to bite, the rest of your message is lost.

Headlines that leave readers hungry for more will-

• Hone in on your biggest benefit.
• Focuses on something that really matters to your target audience.
• Builds desire to discover more.

So don’t just settle for the first idea that pops into your mind. Your headline deserves more attention that that. Instead brainstorm ideas and take the time needed to ensure you opt for the right opening. It will make the difference between a success and a flop.

Write to your audience
This might sound a little obvious, but the main thing to remember when composing any content marketing material is that, it’s not about you.

It might be about your business, but it’s not actually about you, it’s about your audience. It’s about their problems, their needs, their dreams. Before writing your leaflet, take some time to think about who will be reading it and who you are trying to appeal to.

By thinking like your potential customer you can answer their questions with your leaflet rather than hoping that the information you include will be of interest to them.

Take some time to ask yourself these questions:

• Who do you want to appeal to?
• What are they interested in?
• What questions might they have?
• What do they want to achieve?
• What problems do they have?
• How can you solve their problems?

Focus on benefits NOT features
A common mistake is to focus on features in your advertising.

On the surface it makes sense – after all you’re telling customers what they are going to get. However people rarely make buying decisions based on need (apart from the essentials of course). Instead we buy because we want. And it’s product / service benefits which elicit the emotions that draw out the “I need that now” feeling.

To achieve that you need to work out how your product or service enhances your customers’ lives.

Take some time out to work out what you are really selling And then weave that into your sales message.

Answer these two pressing questions

Potential customers are cynical and tough. And they want to know two things. And to have any chance of persuading them you need to answer these two pressing questions:

• What’s In It For Me?
• Why should I pick you over everyone else?

In truth that’s all customers want to know.

And if you can’t answer these questions you’re going to struggle to attract attention and capture the interest.

The answer will often be found in your Unique Selling Point. And whilst tempting, don’t make the mistake of making your advert all about price.
You see, if price is the only thing you can compete on beware, someone can (and will) always undercut you. Instead focus on the aspect of your business that only you provide, then craft a message that attracts customers based on that.

Focus on persuasion
One of the biggest (and most common) mistakes with leaflet writing is focusing on information instead of persuasion. Don't bore your audience with reams of useless information, instead focus on snappy sentences which will persuade the audience to use you.

Ask your audience to do something
Your call to action is copywriting jargon for what you want readers to do next? Every piece of persuasive writing MUST have a call to action.

Skip it and you’ll leave your audience hanging and miss out on sales. “But it’s obvious” I hear you cry. And here you’ll be right. But it’s obvious to you because you know your business inside out and upside down. However it’s not obvious to a reader who may have simply glanced at your leaflet and half-heartedly scanned your offer.

So remember this rule. If you want people to respond, you’ve got to ask them…and when you do you need to be clear, specific and straightforward…

Last edited:
Thanks for this, very informative.

Great advice thanks.

Could you elaborate on the Call for Action bit? Do you mean having a statement on a flyer/postcard that literally states "give us a call today"?

You're welcome :)

Yes, the call to action is literally an invite to DO something with the information you've given them. Such as;

"Call us today on..."
"Visit our salon at..."
"Bring this leaflet with you to redeem..."

And so on...

There's no point being shy about it- ask them to come and see you!

Great! I'll give it a go!!

Great post Carl. I would make it a blog post if you haven't already :)

Regarding the social media aspect, would you recommend having your twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook icons on a flyer as well as your website?

Regarding the social media aspect, would you recommend having your twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook icons on a flyer as well as your website?

Absolutely- not point having them if you're not going to tell people about them! :)

There's no point being "reserved" with your marketing. No-one else is going to promote your business- so you have to grab every opportunity you have. Be confident about your business and "sell" it, it's not something that comes naturally to people, but if this is your living then it's important.

Absolutely- not point having them if you're not going to tell people about them! :)

There's no point being "reserved" with your marketing. No-one else is going to promote your business- so you have to grab every opportunity you have. Be confident about your business and "sell" it, it's not something that comes naturally to people, but if this is your living then it's important.

Great piece of advice! Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back