WTK how to treat ski-jump nails. Please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speaklowlove

Reaction score
So, here's my story:

I'm 20 yrs old & have stopped biting my nails for at least 10 yrs now. My nails had always been weak & brittle for the most part. I tried acrylics/gel enhancements for a couple months & while they did look very nice, I knew I couldn't have my manicurist keep re-filling. Your natural nails need to breathe every once in a while! During the time they were removed, I was able to detect how these enhancements had actually worsened the condition of my natural nails. So,I decided to grow them out myself! With dedication, daily intake of Biotin, weekly @home manicures & a healthy diet, I was finally able to have long nails of my own. However, this is when things turn sour. I realized that the profile of my fingernails looked 'abnormal.' I have not been diagnosed for ski-jump nails but I'm fairly certain that I have them. Looking at pictures on the web & reading how past chronic nail biting can result in this has convinced me. I don't want to believe that there is no way to beat this. I've worked so hard to grow & maintain the ones I have now & don't want to resort to cutting off all the free edge I've tried so hard to attain just to apply acrylics once again. Is there any way I can make them grow normally & curve down like other people's fingernails? I won't say NO to all enhancements. I've no idea if there are even new ways that won't damage/weaken your natural nails. Help, please!

Here's an img of my nails currently:
http://i50.tinypic.com/wrxhkl.jpg

Hiya,
It looks like you are not a pro and so this post will probably be moved to consumer queries soon.

I don't know what if any treatment there is to stop your nails growing out this shape, but just wanted to point out that you absolutely can wear acrylic enhancement on your nails non-stop, if the tech is looking after your nails properly, if you develop no contra-indications that would mean you'd have to stop, and if you looked after your nails also. Acrylic enhancements do not damage your nails and are a good option to redress the balance and look of a ski-jump nail. You'd need to find a good tech using top quality products to work with if you wanted to go this route,

Just wanted to let you know you don't need to let your nails breathe at all, but they do need to be cared for properly while you have enhancements on if you go that route again.

Hopefully another geek can answer your other questions xx

Latest posts

Back