Yearly income as a mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Changeofcareer

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm 48 years old with about 16 years previous experience in Beauty Industry with a small amount of hairdressing experience. (1 years training in college and assisting and working alongside hairdressers). Although I have many years behind me in the Beauty Industry, I have also been away from it for the last 13 years due to having 3 children and being a full time mum.
I now wish to return to work and being divorced with 3 children, I wish to seek some financial independence again.
I am interested to get back into hairdressing and do a full time course while my children are in school. I particularly like the idea of working for myself so I can work around family. I do not wish to do Beauty as a mobile therapist as the bed, wax pots, etc are quite cumbersome to transport, and set up. I also am now more interested in hair as I did the beauty for so long I really need a change from that. I would be interested in teaching beauty (I have one years teaching experience from many years back but as I said, I now have a 13 year gap from it too). I would be reasonably interested in having a beauty salon but I'd need to look further afield as we already have one in my village and I don't really want the overheads or the need to find someone else to run it during the many weeks school holidays. (I need to be home with the children most of that time so mobile is far better for me).
My main concerns are that mobile hairdressing may not provide a good living. By that, I mean enough to support a family. My ex does of course support us financially too and it won't matter if I don't earn much in the first year or two but in the long term I'd need to know I will be able to make a living out of it?
Would any mobile hairdressers be happy to tell me roughly how much they actually earn from year to year? I appreciate it will vary between hairdressers depending on location, clientele, prices, services offered etc but it would be good to get a realistic idea.
Also, by the time I qualify I will probably be 50-51 years old. I will do other courses too once I complete my training to advance my skills. I already possess the qualifications and experience with regard to many areas I'll probably do on the course etc so I'll find much of the theory very easy. Any views on my age for starting out again? And please, any information on actual income would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back