Yellow nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Dinky Geek
Reaction score
Hello everyone...
This is the first time i have posted a thread so be gentle with me please :)
I would like some advice on how to deal with a client that suffers with yellow nails, her natural nails that is!
She has worn inexpensive nail varnish constantly for a very long time and although her nails are long and very strong they have gone yellow.
I am wearing white tips with twilight on the tips and she would like to have this on her nails but not with acrylic.
So... first question...How can i get her nails back to a nice colour?
Second question...is there something in cheaper nail varnishes that cause the nails to go yellow? if so what is it? and is it present in 'Creative' varnishes/products?
Third question...How can i achieve my glitter french look with varnish alone?
She is coming to me on thursday (I work from home and also mobile) so i would really like to know before agree to help her so's not to look foolish :rolleyes:
Many thanks.
Denise Jacqueline.

The cause of yellowing in natural nails that constantly wear nail enamel is the Formaldehyde in the enamel. It also contributes to making the nails hard and eventually brittle as the chemical dehydrates the nailplate. A light buff of the nail surface with a very fine block buffer or other fine buffer usually removes much of the yellow colour, which is only a surface thing.

Creative enamels do not contain formaldehyde in the same format as these other polishes. Creative use Formaldehyde resin in their enamels which is a different form of the chemical and does not cause yellowing or over-dehydration of the plate.

You can create a similar look to the one you are wanting by using nail enamel by using your french colours and then painting over the white with a soft glitter enamel.

Thank you for your fast reply.
I thought there was something in the cheaper brands of varnish that maybe was causing this...all i need to do now is learn how to say it and remember it. :lol:
Also, when do i put the glitter on before or after the negligee? and is the northern lights the best for this?
Many thanks.
denise jacqueline.

You could apply either way you suggest. I would try both on a tip and see which look you prefer. Northern Lights would create a nice look I think.

Thanks again for your reply.
I don't know what i would do without this site i have learned sooooo much from it. I spend hours looking at it.
Would like to say a BIG thank you to everyone for making it a brillent site for nails tech's.
I trained with 'Creative' in June 2003 and only just started charging for my services...there is soooo much to learn.
Many thanks.
denisejacqueline.

geeg said:
The cause of yellowing in natural nails that constantly wear nail enamel is the Formaldehyde in the enamel. It also contributes to making the nails hard and eventually brittle as the chemical dehydrates the nailplate. A light buff of the nail surface with a very fine block buffer or other fine buffer usually removes much of the yellow colour, which is only a surface thing.

Creative enamels do not contain formaldehyde in the same format as these other polishes. Creative use Formaldehyde resin in their enamels which is a different form of the chemical and does not cause yellowing or over-dehydration of the plate.
Hi Geeg

Sorry about this:o, but there's been a thread just recently about yellowing of the natural nail plate. A number of us teks are witnessing it. Samantha has taken up the challenge to try and find out what's causing it.......as I'm afraid it's not limited to cheap polishes. I use CND Toughen Up/Stickey, CND polishes and Super Shiney and my nails/clients always end up yellow - not very nice.

At the moment, when a client asks me why her nails are yellow, all I can say is that the top people are on the case;)

Adele

The yellowing you are refeing to Adel is not the same as the condition this girl is refering to in her post, which I have seen many times in the past on ladieis' nails who continually wear polish. I stand by the informantion I have given out to the writer of the post. Formaldehyde is the cause of yellowing and the dry condition of the natural nail plate in this instance. I have not mentioned 'cheap' polishes as particularly being a culprit here.

The phenomenon you are refering to (if I understand correctly) is seen randomly on some nails only and not on others (even when the same treatment has been given to all the nails) ... I for one have never seen what you and others have decribed on any clients or on myself so it is a bit of a mystery and at this stage I would not know to what it could be attributed, and, as far as I am aware, Creative have not changed the formulation of their enamels so nothing 'new' or different should be happening, so as you say, we are getting the big boys to look into it.

Hi...
Thanks to all who gave me advice.
The client with the yellow nails came to see me today and WOW were those nails yellow. (you could see then in the dark!)
First of all i buffed the nails with my 'koala' then i soaked them in 'bubble white'...still yellow. I then put nail brite on them (underneath and top) and gave them a litttle scrub...and guess what...yes!...still YELLOW.
I think by doing this the colour was reduced by about two thirds but they still looked yellow, especially the tips.
Then i buffed the nail again (very gentle), trimmed the nails down by about half but still left her with a nice length.
I gave her a french polish, and when i put the negligee on i must say i covered the nail so well you could not really tell.
While i was doing her nails she told me how she wears nail varnish 24/7 and has done for many years.
My advice to her was to visit me everytime her nails needed tyding up, varnish wise, and not to use anything else on her nails and hopefully the yellow would grow out and with a treatmnt every visit she may get to the stage that she can just wear a base and top coat. (this is the look she is aiming for.
As money is a issue with her (or rather lack of it), i said to just invest in one or two 'creative' varnish and stick to them.
I know this may be a silly question but how long does 'creative' nail varnish stay on for?
Also do you think what i did today was right for her?

I am not sure if you mentioned previously, but does your client use a basecoat when she applies her varnish. If she wears strong colours, the use of a basecoat will help to protect from discolouration. If she used something like Toughen Up, it will be conditioning her nails as well as protecting them from yellowing.

Just another thought.

denisejacqueline said:
I know this may be a silly question but how long does 'creative' nail varnish stay on for?
Also do you think what i did today was right for her?

Creative enamel will last as long as any other top quality enamel, but of course this is dependant on how well the nail surface is prepared first isn't it??

Most end consumers do not prepare the nail surface as well as a professional Nail Technician. The surface should be free of all oil and contamination and 'squeeked' really well with something like ScrubFresh, before application of the enamel,for maximum adhesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back