Yellow nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppercorn Nails

Reaction score
What's making my natural nails yellow. I use either Jessica basecoats or Stickey, but if my nail varnish is on for about a week, when I remove it all hey presto, I have a positively yellow glow to them. This is regardless of whether I use a dark or light colour. (varnishes are CND/Essie/Jessica/Zoya)

Why I ask!

Adele

Dear Adele,
If you leave your polish off for a while (say 1 week) do they stay yellow?

I don't want to worry you and I might be completely wrong here! ( I am sure some of the girls will put me right if I am). I have seen yellowing nails before and It turned out to be a nail infection which was cleared up quickly by a doctor. I would try gently buffing off the yellow, leave your nails naked for about 1 week and see if the yellowing returns. If it does you can then go to a doctor and get it checked

Hope this help's

Sharon X

In the case of the person who ALWAYS wears nail enamel, the culprit that causes the nail to yellow is Formaldehyde (sometimes on the ingredient list as Formalyn).
CND enamels contain Formaldehyde RESIN which does not cause yellowing.
Whatever base coat you use, it will not help against this happening. I would lay off the polish for a while, use some Nail Brite which has a slight abrasive action as well as a natural bleaching agent. If you buff the surface do it VERY lightly indeed with a soft white block or similar. Don't overdo it.
Use SolarOil every day to condition the nails because they will be dry and brittle from wearing polish for so long. You may find that they split and peel or break easily. Formaldehyde is very drying to the natural nail.

The only polish that I can't say whether it has Formaldehyde in it or not, is Essie. All the others that I use contain Formaldehyde resin.

Does anybody know whether Essie contains Formaldehyde or not?

Adele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back