yellow/orange hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janette_wtmr

Reaction score
I'm mousey brown naturally and I normally have high lights, I decided to go block blonde and it went yellowy but I would say more orange!!! :rolleyes:
I have family with red/ginger hair and I must have red tones in my hair.

My question is.... Now that this has happenedl the next time I have it done will it still be orangy or will it go? I didn't have bleach, I think I had a low % put on afterwards it came out like that but it still didn't do much and I also had purple stuff (forgotten what it's called) and still no joy.

Can someone please advise me on what might happen to my hair?!:irked:

Thanks
Janette xXx

was the purple stuff a mousse they put on at the basin, or was it like another colour put on, it sounds like they have tried to tone it. . if it was a mousee it cud have been sumthing like 10v mousse which is fine for a slight hint of brassyness but doesnt really do the trick if u need a lot more toner. . if u have had it all coloured blonde, u shud only really be getting ur roots done the next time, u dont want the lenghts over proccessed, as for a toner, i wud suggest something along the lines of a pastel toner, like 10/1, this is a very effective wella tint that can be used as a toner for brassy blondes, xx

No the purple stuff she put on was after all colouring, not another colour, it was jus to try to calm it down a bit wich it did a fraction but not much!
If she put a low % on again just on the roots do you think it will strip away the orangey colour? Should I suggest to use bleach do you think?

depends on how light you want it ! the next stage after orange is yellow , and then white ,so i think you will probably need a toner anyway . think carefully about the condition of your hair and the upkeep , because the other option would be to h/l the top sections of the hair to get rid of the orange ,and then tint/semi the rest to a deeper shade of blonde . all over blonde looks great ,but it needs lots of trims ,conditioning treatments and is not great if you are growing your hair . some pics would be nice then it would be easier to see if its a disaster or something that needs a little help .

Hi, I notice that you are a student on your profile , you could ring up your local college and book in for a colour correction ,
The students are very well supervised there , and Merseyside has some of the very best training Colleges ,

the Tutors will guide them to do a fab a fab job for you, :hug:x
this will take away all the guess work for you
and the colour and peroxide strengths will all be worked out correctly by Tutor and student,
the whole process will be very well supervized too

please dont try to put it right yourself as its a pretty big job
and you may be tempted to put a darker colour on it rather than getting it fixed properly,
plus any darker colour could end up way too dark on the ends , kahki or patchy

I think you should get a pretty nice colour from what you already have
if you get a colour correction ,

plus at the college it will only be a fraction of the price of a salon ,
Ps don't forget to mention that you are a student too

hope this helps :hug: x minky

sounds like they used so silver shampoo to try and calm the colour any way as its got brassy tones you really need to an ash tone to counter act the warm orange colour but as a student i would go to the college it would be good for the students to get hands on experience and the tutors wont let them do anything to make it worse if they feelit beyond thier students they will advice you to go to a salon hth

Oh I totally agree, I go to Liverpool Community College and it's got a good reputation for beauty. I have got my hair done there many times before and I have always been very happy with the results, and it only used to cost £14 for h/l cut&blow, but the only problem that I have occurred with them is that because they're so organised and watched by their tutors it takes so long to complete the whole service as each step needs to be ok'd and give the go ahead. The first time it took 4 1/2 hrs and the 2nd time my app was 5:00 and I left with security and got the train home with the student gone 10:00 o'clock. Apart from that my hair was great! :lol: But I've got babies to get back to!

I went to ask a bit of advice from one of the tutors today and she advised to use a low % bleach and that will deffo lift it. The other suggestion was to use a silver toner is that right?

I'm just a bit worried now that it might go from orange to yellow!:rolleyes:

I had the same problem, (my dad is ginger so I must have red undertones as well).
I went to a salon and they put blonde low/high lights and said it would take a few applications to go completely blonde (as I would like it).
I am now bleaching my hair at home every now and then and the blonde colour I want is coming back!!!!
hth
xx

Oh I totally agree, I go to Liverpool Community College and it's got a good reputation for beauty. I have got my hair done there many times before and I have always been very happy with the results, and it only used to cost £14 for h/l cut&blow, but the only problem that I have occurred with them is that because they're so organised and watched by their tutors it takes so long to complete the whole service as each step needs to be ok'd and give the go ahead. The first time it took 4 1/2 hrs and the 2nd time my app was 5:00 and I left with security and got the train home with the student gone 10:00 o'clock. Apart from that my hair was great! :lol: But I've got babies to get back to!

I went to ask a bit of advice from one of the tutors today and she advised to use a low % bleach and that will deffo lift it. The other suggestion was to use a silver toner is that right?

I'm just a bit worried now that it might go from orange to yellow!:rolleyes:

Hi, I assume the ginger bits used to be natural hair colour in between the highlights ?
if so ,
the problem that you now have is that the highlights and the ginger tones are all mixed up together ,

you needed the ginger bits to have got past that yellow stage and up to a creamy blonde before it was taken off,
but if it was an all over colour that was used and it was placed on top of your other highlights too ,
then your other highlights, may have disintegrated along with the lightening colour that was used , if you had let it go that blonde .

So now you may have very dry white highlights in your hair which if they have anymore chemicals on them at all ,
(especially bleach) may break off

you could ask the hairdresser
to scatter some bleached highlights and lighter brown lowlights but onlythroughout the ginger bits this will cool down the look a lot without looking too dark
and you wont be touching the other already lightened highlights,

this should produce a nice result
hope this made sense
Ps, afterwards you will need a good shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair :hug: x minky

HI,

The ginger bits was just purely on the roots and area. I have always had foils done and now that wanted to go block blond it happened.

I recently had my hair done again and with toner again, and a few bleach foils to break it up on top. Don't get me wrong it gone lighter but its still orangey but not as dark.

My hairdressers telling me the same as Miss pink 23's did "it would take a few applications to go completely blonde (as I would like it)."

But will it?????? I'm now worried as minky said" So now you may have very dry white highlights in your hair which if they have anymore chemicals on them at all , (especially bleach) may break off"

HI,

The ginger bits was just purely on the roots and area. I have always had foils done and now that wanted to go block blond it happened.

I recently had my hair done again and with toner again, and a few bleach foils to break it up on top. Don't get me wrong it gone lighter but its still orangey but not as dark.

My hairdressers telling me the same as Miss pink 23's did "it would take a few applications to go completely blonde (as I would like it)."

But will it?????? I'm now worried as minky said" So now you may have very dry white highlights in your hair which if they have anymore chemicals on them at all , (especially bleach) may break off"

Hi Janette , if its just the root area that you are having the highlights applied to
then that is fine ,

as long as the ends arnt being overlapped with bleach,
(this is what can damage the ends of the hair )

if she is just doing the roots and not taking it right through the ends

then the condition of your hair should be ok ,
hope I didn't scare you too much lol x :hug:

:hug: x minky

Latest posts

Back