Yellow Pages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachel019102

Reaction score
Does anyone advertise in the Yellow Pages? Do you find it brings in many clients?

Hi, I do. This year is the first time and I have been lucky. The clients I have must have paid for the ad over and over. I only have 2 from it mind you, but the book only came out Oct 07. I am pleased I advertised it YP's HTH's

my hubby advertises in yellow pages...we do get some calls from it...the only thing is the people from yellow pages calls you about more advertising + YOU paying.....just say no hun....xx

Yep Ive had loads from it. Id say about 50% of my clients in fact! The other 50% have been from word of mouth, I have done flyer drops and things but havent really had that many clients from that!
Id say it was definately worth it!

xxxxxxx:hug:

With those of you that have had a success with Yellow pages do you think it was something in particular about your add that made it a success i.e. add in colour, the size, names brands, pictures etc or do you not feel it made much difference. How is your add different to the others in your section.

Initially....i would of said no....but after talking to my rep,and have rebooked in my advert,and looking at the figures....i would say yes...and i actually got a walk in for herself and partner for massages...and it was supposed to be my day off....luckily she came in...and i just can not keep away from the salon i suppose:lol::rolleyes:

I asked her why she picked my salon...because of the colour,and the attention to detail,it "stood out from the rest" were her words....if you have the capital and means to advertise,then yes it helps....but reccommendation,is still the best word of advertisement in my eyes:)

With those of you that have had a success with Yellow pages do you think it was something in particular about your add that made it a success i.e. add in colour, the size, names brands, pictures etc or do you not feel it made much difference. How is your add different to the others in your section.

My feedback I got, knowing there are not many Nail Techs in the book in my area, was that she at the top and worked down the list, one is now not operating one was an answer phone and I actually answered and am now her regular tech! My ad is not the smallest but has my name in bold with my email too. It worked for me!

As some of you know I used to be a yellow pages advert sales rep - I did get rep of the year!

I advertise in YP I also have a weblink advert with yell.com

I spend over £630 a year with them, which is a skip load of dosh to me as a one woman band!

Why do I do it?? I know it works.

2 points to remember.....

1. When people want a nail tech & don't have anyone to recommend them , they are likely to use YP

2. IF you have been recommended by someone, they have to find your number from somewhere!

another point .....IMO being in YP with an advert, not a lineage, gives kudos to your company, as it looks good, professional & people (public) have an impression of an established company.

When it comes to ad design etc, you do have to make it stand out if you can afford to. I have a semi-display ad andI can only incorporate the CND logo, but that says it all for me - quality.

Ages ago, just before Sassy did her 'guide to advertising' I did a thread all about the best forms of advertising etc, http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/21939-do-you-need-help-advice-about-advertising.html
try searching and you'll come up with lots of info - SassyHassy's guide is an invaluable thread & worth printing off as a good guide too.

Some people say no to YP others say yes, personally it worked for me in fact that with local advertising I was nearly doing full time. ALso had a yell.com ad. which brought in some work (not as much)

Some say also that it depends where abouts in the UK you live, I lived in affluent Surrey so got loads of bookings around and about and some closer to London.

I've had my salon for 16 years & I've always advertised in YP, usually with good results. The last 2-3 years hasn't brought in as many clients as previous years, so I decided to take the brave step of not paying for an ad in the current book.

I just have my free lineage and since the book came out in August, we have not noticed any difference in the amount of new clients coming in. I'm a happy bunny as I'm shed loads of money better off (& I mean shed loads!).

I'm lucky enough in that the salon is on a busy main road so most of our clients come in from just seeing us in passing. Once they're in the door we market to them to get them to part with their dosh.

There are 1200 hair salons and hairdressers advertised in my yellow pages. You either have to spend a whack to stand out or be very lucky to win against these odds.

Cheers

Pete

on yp you can have free advertising which is .....your name...add...then phone number....or you can pay out and have a box...the bigger the box the more money you pay.....my hubby has paid out for the tattooing but i have not for nails....i only put nails in last week.....i have the free one....hubbys is doing well ....te only trouble is....the yp people dont stop calling for you to pay and hve a box....just tell them NO like me...and stop calling....hth huni xxxxxxx

on yp you can have free advertising which is .....your name...add...then phone number....or you can pay out and have a box...the bigger the box the more money you pay.....my hubby has paid out for the tattooing but i have not for nails....i only put nails in last week.....i have the free one....hubbys is doing well ....te only trouble is....the yp people dont stop calling for you to pay and hve a box....just tell them NO like me...and stop calling....hth huni xxxxxxx

Thanks SJ. Has your hubby got sufficient return from the yp advert - what kind of add did he have - size? boxed? picture? colour etc?

My husband has a roofing business and he paid for a small boxed advert with just words and no pictures. We cant say that it bought in any business, but we are thinking that if the add was changed then it may work better.

Thanks SJ. Has your hubby got sufficient return from the yp advert - what kind of add did he have - size? boxed? picture? colour etc?

My husband has a roofing business and he paid for a small boxed advert with just words and no pictures. We cant say that it bought in any business, but we are thinking that if the add was changed then it may work better.

just a small box...like you hun...no pic...just words...no colour...were lucky as its brandon tattoos so we are the first people see!!!....i would not say sufficent return but it has helped....next year we might do colours/pics so if you and your hubby do let could you let me know if it was better than before please hun?????...thanks in advance as i know you will cos your a angel xxxxxxxxx:hug:

just a small box...like you hun...no pic...just words...no colour...were lucky as its brandon tattoos so we are the first people see!!!....i would not say sufficent return but it has helped....next year we might do colours/pics so if you and your hubby do let could you let me know if it was better than before please hun?????...thanks in advance as i know you will cos your a angel xxxxxxxxx:hug:

Aaww - thank you SJ - he needs to make a decision pretty quick because I have a feeling that the YP deadline is coming up soon for the next entry. I am also thinking in advance for my beauty/nails for 12 months time.

Do you just wish you could look into the future to know if you would be wasting your money or not x x x :hug:

Aaww - thank you SJ - he needs to make a decision pretty quick because I have a feeling that the YP deadline is coming up soon for the next entry. I am also thinking in advance for my beauty/nails for 12 months time.

Do you just wish you could look into the future to know if you would be wasting your money or not x x x :hug:

if only we could see in the future!!!........well i have my nails in there for free and hubby paid so will tell who gets the most business!!!!!......i hope you and your hubby ges lots of work and lots of money!!!....take care hun xxxx:hug:

I just have my lineage ad now, which is free . . . and I do get some response from it, but when I started I used to have a small box (which was about £350 or so) but it was successful and brought in a lot of new enquiries.

Hi, hope im not intruding on this thread ,but has anybody in the Berkshire area recieved this years yp yet,i phoned to place an advert last November...no sign of this years yp yet???

I have always had a small plain box and got good response from it.

So I decided to go bigger and focus on treatments I want to do more of (less nails iykwim)

Guess what? Have not had a single call and Im paying more - Im not impressed!!!:cry:

Last year I was in mobile therapists and I was the last one on the page you had to turn over. So Im not happy for 2 years now and Iv always praised the pants off the YP and I really cant at the mo.

Yell.com brings in far more - with emails ect.

So next year - back to the cheaper plain box - no frills.

put my ad in yesterday - it should be on yell.com in the next couple of days, and in this years edition of yp, think it comes out may time in my area, so time will tell, but good luck!

Latest posts

Back