Yellowing nails with Vinylux

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma@TheLaurel

Reaction score
Hi can anyone suggest any reasons as to why one of my ladies nails have started going yellow after continually using Vinylux on fingers. It's not good food staining. Could it be because there is no base coat? cheers

Hi Emma,
As you know, Vinylux is designed to work without a base coat. The quick drying formula and the way the colour coat adheres to the natural nail means that the pigments in the colour coat should not be able to penetrate the nail plate and cause staining. Once the colour is dry, the pigments can not 'escape' or 'seep' into the nail plate. However, it has been recognised that certain factors could lead to a colour deposit being left on the nail plate:

- If the client's nails are flakey or delaminating (peeling) the colour can make it's way into the peeling, flakey layers during application.
- If removal of the colour is done with a remover that contains lower levels of acetone it takes lots of remover and lots of scrubbing to get the colour off, at which time the pigments are swimming about in the remover and are more free to 'soak in' to nails especially if they are very dry or porous.

CND recommends pure acetone or CND Nourishing Remover so that removal can be clean and quick, eliminating the the second issue listed above.
On clients with flakey or peeling nails, I would recommend applying 1 coat of a light Vinylux colour such as Lavishly Loved first - so rather than a dark, heavily pigmented colour getting into flakey nail plate layers, the light colour serves as a protective layer preventing dark pigments getting in there.

I have been using Vinylux from the start and I have seen staining occur, albeit very rarely. When it did happen I was able to remove the staining by gently smoothing the nail surface with the 1200 grit side os a Koala Buffer.

Applying a base coat is not a good plan with Vinylux, it will negate the week long wear we expect from the colour on fingers. On nails I suspect may absorb dark pigments, 1 coat of Lavishly Loved first always does the trick and as a result I have not seen any staining for a long time.
The other thing i do is give the client a little lesson in proper removal - that is, removing a week after application and doing it quickly and cleanly with the remover I recommend.

Hope this helps x

That is a super answer. Cheers to you. Xxxxx

Latest posts

Back