SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently been advised to use Young Nails Protein Bond to prevent lifting on my gel extensions. I am currently using IBD hard builder gel. Does anyone have any experience in hai g this particular combination. I’m not sure if I should be mixing brands?

If you change some ingredients in a recipe, would it be the same? :)

The rule of thumb is don't do anything the chemist didn't reasonably expect. They develop products as a complete system, which for gel and gel polish includes their brand UV lamp. Stepping outside this, you are opening yourself to potential problems.

The adhesion of modern gels and acrylics is far more than it used to be in the past. This means there is no need to use acid primers (often a recommendation on FB) and that nearly all lifting problems are due to application - usually nail prep - a poor mix ration for acrylics or using the incorrect UV lamp.

Company don't produce products that lift - that would be a fast road to a bad reputation. The products will have been tested in the lab and field tested by Educators usually.

So start by having a chat with the IBD educator - if they are any good, they will welcome the chance to help and also keep a customer :)

I mix combinations all the time without any problems xx

That attitude is why there is an epidemic of nail product allergies. People who think that they know better than the product chemists.

There shouldn't be lifting when using the complete system, so you should look at what you might be doing wrong before adding other products to the mix. Having said that, protein bond by young nails is very good and the people who manufacture it say it works with any system. You could try it out on the occasional problem lifter to see if it helps. But if you experience lifting on a lot of clients, then the problem is likely with your prep or application, and therefore even the protein bond won't solve those issues. :)

That attitude is why there is an epidemic of nail product allergies. People who think that they know better than the product chemists.
Actually the manufacturing companies themselves say whether their particular system is compatible with other systems. As publicly stated by multinationals such as Nail Harmony and TGB. So it's not my "attitude", actually. Choose your words more carefully.

Actually the manufacturing companies themselves say whether their particular system is compatible with other systems. As publicly stated by multinationals such as Nail Harmony and TGB. So it's not my "attitude", actually. Choose your words more carefully.

Perhaps you can provide links where these companies confirm that mixing products is acceptable? The two chemists that I employ and a third who is a personal friend, all state that complete systems should be used.

Latest posts

Back