Young teens using DIY kits????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's up to you, a lot of places do a reduction for students, often on their quieter days so that the busy days are still taken up with full paying clients. But I think if you are looking on it as a crusade then you will be mistaken - having had two girls I know that at that 14/16 years period they think they know it all and what the hell do we know anyway? ... I mean it's not like we were ever young lol!

lmao i totaly agree my 2 are 14 nd 15....and tell me Often enough that i can't possibly remembr as far back as my teen days:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually I have found that some of my young clients look after their nails much better than their mothers. They all know how to look after them when I have finished with them. :) And most of them do not chew them or pick them. THEY LOVE THEM.

:lol: Yep I certainly do agree with you on that one, my younger clients (most around 18-20ish) look after them much more than my older ones.
Re reading what I wrote, I should have put one of the reasons, not the only reason, sometimes I type faster than I think.:lol:
This was one of the reason explained to me when I was training.

I wouldn't offer a reduced rate for any teenager....they aren't paying!!!

I have never had a problem doing a teens nails, I have a problem with them coming back with broken nails and expecting a free repair BUT I have only ever had that once, she got mum in because I always tell them how much before I start, I explained to mum that I had told her they were to long and mum paid for the repair, had me shorten the whole set and mum was a regular client until she moved to France.:green:
I would not do them cheaper, why should I? Do my products cost less? Will it take me less time? Will I be less skillful?
Also if they pay the going rate they are more likely to think, must look after these they cost me £... and I don't want to waste it.
As for the rio PMSL sit back, say nothing, even assuming she manages to put a set on that look good:rolleyes: how long did your first sets stay on?
Her friends will expect their money back.
My models were my daughter and her friends, I didn't charge them and they still expected me to drop everything and fix their nails, money involved:Scared:
She'll be lucky not to get lynched:)

As Gillian said, Prom time is coming up, so you could maybe consider offering a special then? I know for a fact that in my area, one salon offers a set of nails and full make up at just the price of the nails, another gives a 25% discount to Proms, somewhere else does a spray tan/nails package, all aimed at the Prom market. I wouldn't discount just because they're under a certain age though, hell, some of the ones I've had ought to pay double - they arrive with either the sulks, the giggles or a mobile phone which has to be answered about every 30 seconds . . . nah, no discounts for them lol!

Thank you all for your comments. i will have to think more about this one.(I think i am on a bit of a crusade :o )
i have in the past visited a number of youth clubs in the area as a guest speeker about hair and beauty i think another visit might help...this time about the dangers of diy nails :lol:

:hug:

I forgot to say, Del3, I do understand the thinking behind your "crusade" and I think you sound like a very caring person. :hug:

I forgot to say, Del3, I do understand the thinking behind your "crusade" and I think you sound like a very caring person. :hug:

Awww thanks blossom. I don't know how caring i felt this morning though when this girl told me of her plans :grr:. I think i could have thrown her and her kit straight into the Irish Sea :lol:

:hug:

Ok heres my tuppence worth :)

I know some nail bars do offer 14/16 a reduced rate, For example Afull set of L&P over white tip £15. They also recieve a suprise free gift .......... Thin weak nails, no prep and in one case recently (friends daughter) Bleeding.

If i offer nails to 14/16 i would have to seriously think about competeing with these nail bars. Because as was said before, it doesnt matter how many times i try to educate over nss, they dont listen and why should they are invinceable at that age. They dont believe in scare tatics nor do they think it matters. And trust me i have had plenty of conversations with girls around this age about this only for them to say " oh god i didnt realise. i deffanetly wont go there again", only to see them several weeks later sporting a set of unpreped mma L&P.

Also another consideration is, that yes it is normally the parents that pay, but what with everything else, mobiles etc. Nails are normally the first to be knocked on the head. So the best way is to weigh up the pros and cons of offereing a reduced rate. Would you benefit as a business in offering a cut rate for 14/16 yr olds. Im sure you will make the right choice. xx

P.S. Just to throw the spanners in the works. Last week a local comprehensive has enforced a complete ban on nail enhancements. They made every girl show their nails and any girl wearing enhancements was instructed to get them removed immediately. I believe many other schools are to follow suit and we are talking about 15/16 yr olds. So maybe the market for 14/16 yr olds getting nails done will fade out because of this.

Nails isn't just about enhancements though...what about natural nail care...not all teenagers are cannibals and some have nice nails but want the "false look"...

so the schools are stomping nail enhancements out.....i wouldn't cross them of my client list...i'd think of something else i can do with them....like a nice french mani for the weekend...:lol:

Ok heres my tuppence worth :)

I know some nail bars do offer 14/16 a reduced rate, For example Afull set of L&P over white tip £15. They also recieve a suprise free gift .......... Thin weak nails, no prep and in one case recently (friends daughter) Bleeding.

If i offer nails to 14/16 i would have to seriously think about competeing with these nail bars. Because as was said before, it doesnt matter how many times i try to educate over nss, they dont listen and why should they are invinceable at that age. They dont believe in scare tatics nor do they think it matters. And trust me i have had plenty of conversations with girls around this age about this only for them to say " oh god i didnt realise. i deffanetly wont go there again", only to see them several weeks later sporting a set of unpreped mma L&P.

Also another consideration is, that yes it is normally the parents that pay, but what with everything else, mobiles etc. Nails are normally the first to be knocked on the head. So the best way is to weigh up the pros and cons of offereing a reduced rate. Would you benefit as a business in offering a cut rate for 14/16 yr olds. Im sure you will make the right choice. xx

P.S. Just to throw the spanners in the works. Last week a local comprehensive has enforced a complete ban on nail enhancements. They made every girl show their nails and any girl wearing enhancements was instructed to get them removed immediately. I believe many other schools are to follow suit and we are talking about 15/16 yr olds. So maybe the market for 14/16 yr olds getting nails done will fade out because of this.

Yes. They've also been telling them to wear a skirt that covers their backside for about 5 years.
They still call at my door for my sons every day.
WITH the nails and the skirts.
I won't lose sleep tbh.

and let's not forget something else... when a teenager is told NO.... they more than likely, DO THE OPPOSITE... or if they were anything like me they did:rolleyes::eek::).

No way can schools stop that... its like saying no makeup but you can't just remove nails that easy.... considering you can F blind and whatever in class now... do you think banning nail enhancements will cause all girls to remove them???

I seriously think NOT!! :!:

and let's not forget something else... when a teenager is told NO.... they more than likely, DO THE OPPOSITE... or if they were anything like me they did:rolleyes::eek::).

No way can schools stop that... its like saying no makeup but you can't just remove nails that easy.... considering you can F blind and whatever in class now... do you think banning nail enhancements will cause all girls to remove them???

I seriously think NOT!! :!:

Well the girls at this school did as they were told they could not come back untill they did. But you are right it wont last too long like most other things. Honestly cant see the reson on the ban unless some enhancements have been long etc but do not understand the reason behind the ban.

The ban is because a lot of the girls are all going to the same place and wearing the nss nails.They look false,start to look awful when not maintained and one smack with a netball can rip your own nail off.

You are talking to a mother whose boy was sent home btw...not until she had COLOURED IN THE WHITE ON HIS BLACK SHOES..whatever name they were...I was made to look bad my son wasn't.
Yawn....yes I know there are rules. They are broken on a daily basis and why?
Because most parents are more concerned that the kids are getting a great education.
Anyone over 30...tell me now you didn't roll your skirt up on the bus to school and roll it down on the way home?
Did the world stop turning???

I have just contacted my friend as it was her daughters school that has enforced the ban. YOu will never believe the reason behind the ban..........

THEY SCRATCH!!!!

Suppose i can see the 18th century logic, they most probally think they can be used as weapons. Maybe one of the girls went in with a nice set of stiletto enhancement and the 98 yr old music teacher got the fright of her life. :eek::)

in the school my daughter will hopefully be attending this year, my 12 year old neice was told to BITE off her gorgeously long natural nails (she kept them lovely)
in home ec..(cooking class)
as it was unhygenic !!!

I was fuming, her nails were soooo lovely grrrrr !

But can i also say, I dont think that people who buy the rio kits ect...are stupid, they just dont know any better,
Me and my mates used to play around with nail kits all the time,

I applied my first stick on's (yes the rubbish glue on ones )when I was 9 years old...
So without realising then....mabey I was always destined to be a nail technician lol,(even though i wanted to be a famous fashion designer !)

This young girl has a business sense about her...ok shes doing it the TOTAL wrong way....
But its education she needs, and mabey after a few ballsed up sets and mates moaning about "what she did to their nails"
She will THEN realise it isnt as easy as
pop to argos....buy a kit...whack um' on ...make a fortune !!!!
all by herself lol

Well the girls at this school did as they were told they could not come back untill they did. But you are right it wont last too long like most other things. Honestly cant see the reson on the ban unless some enhancements have been long etc but do not understand the reason behind the ban.

At my high school (Geez, seems a million years ago and I'm only 23) we were not allowed anything outrageous, nobody listened to the teachers. Then one day a friend of mine got sent home for having one, single, solitary streak of red in her hair!! Madness. Especially when half of the chavs were walking round with black hair and bleached blonde fringes!! (Ooh, don't you love fashion). On topic though - it was the rio kit that made me want to do nails properly. Hubby bought it for me and when it took me 5 hours and they looked rubbish, I realised how much I wanted to learn properly. Binned rio and enroled in college.

Debs

i do a few youngsters, and they all regulary come back for maintenence,
no probs,
they have the money saved up for it,
and they do look after them i have to say,

appearance is everything nowadays to kids,

yep judy i did used to roll my skirt up and put my scholls on( lol) then roll it back down and then remove scholls!!!( loved the way they sounded!!!)

well... from 2013 all schools will offer Hair and beauty to 14-16 year olds as part of the national curriculum and in some its already in place manicure, nail art etc so their curiosity will naturally lead them to nail enhancements i should suspect ( if it isnt alredy included by the time 2013 arrives!) sooo one good thing to come out of it at least will be that teenagers WILL be educated on the dangers of nail diseases etc!

Latest posts

Back