Young teens using DIY kits????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

del3

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Ok this is the 1st time I’ve posted a thread, so here goes.
This morning I had the biggest shock when one of my daughters friends told me she had bought a Rio kit from Argos and was going to 'do nails' to earn some pocket money (she's 15 and obviously had no training whatsoever).
After picking my jaw up from the floor I asked her how much she was thinking of charging for a set of nails and she replied £15!!!:eek:
I explained the dangers of doing this and showed her some 'nails gone wrong' pics (infections ect) but she didn't want to listen and thought her idea was the best ever.
Now as I’ve said in a previous post I spend a fair amount of time helping clients, that have either had a bad service elsewhere or attempted diy, restore their nails back to good condition.

Now to get to my question (at last), knowing what girls of this age are like for wanting all the 'pretty stuff' I’d like to know what you think of offering a reduced price service to girls aged 14-16 (with parents consent)
I don't normally encourage anyone under the age of 16 to have a set of nails done but, in view of the fact that these kits are so readily available I was thinking it may be a good idea, if only to prevent them from creating anymore damage.

Please be gentle with me (give me time to duck before you shoot):lol: I’m only obeying Geek Commandment No15

:hug:[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
hiya Del,
well tbh, that friend will probably ATTEMPT to do one friend's nails and decide that they can't do it as well as they thought they could, the results will be rubbish, the time taken will be forever and both the 'client' and her will realise that it wasn't such a good idea.

to answer your question, I would accept children that age for massage if it warranted it, but I would have to have the parent present.

[FONT=&quot]Ok this is the 1st time I’ve posted a thread, so here goes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This morning I had the biggest shock when one of my daughters friends told me she had bought a Rio kit from Argos and was going to 'do nails' to earn some pocket money (she's 15 and obviously had no training whatsoever).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After picking my jaw up from the floor I asked her how much she was thinking of charging for a set of nails and she replied £15!!!:eek:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I explained the dangers of doing this and showed her some 'nails gone wrong' pics (infections ect) but she didn't want to listen and thought her idea was the best ever. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now as I’ve said in a previous post I spend a fair amount of time helping clients, that have either had a bad service elsewhere or attempted diy, restore their nails back to good condition.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now to get to my question (at last), knowing what girls of this age are like for wanting all the 'pretty stuff' I’d like to know what you think of offering a reduced price service to girls aged 14-16 (with parents consent)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don't normally encourage anyone under the age of 16 to have a set of nails done but, in view of the fact that these kits are so readily available I was thinking it may be a good idea, if only to prevent them from creating anymore damage.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please be gentle with me (give me time to duck before you shoot):lol: I’m only obeying Geek Commandment No15[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]:hug:[/FONT]

thought you was going to say that this 15 year old girl is doing nails without traing...how can i tell her NOWAY.....not to charge less for young girls....

ok hun...here goes....for starters these stupid rio kits have been in argos for a while...i noticed that they have gel,acrylic perdicure/manicure now..aswell as nail art...this girl is MAD..MAD..MAD doing this...tell her she might get sued for alot of money for damageing nails...THEN she might stop...secondly....you should not be doing nails reduced cos of age....its like someone saying "ok...bring a friend and i will do hers for nothing"....your selling yourself short hun...dont do that.it DOES NOT make you look professional at all and if its clients you want...you wont get it like that.x

yes, I agree about not selling yourself short. If someone booked in for a massage, they get charged the same regardless of age.

i have to admit i had one of them rio nail kits but i never even dreamed of offering it to people to earn extra money.it did however make me relise that nails was what i wanted to do so i got rid of my kit and went to college.
anyway i do my friends daughters nails who is 15yrs and i only charge her £15,partly because thats all she earns each week but also because i know that if i didnt she would just go else where,probably to a oriental nail salon(where i used to go:eek:) so atleast i can explain things to her and give her as much info as possible as i know they wont from my own experience.
ger auntie actually does nails but wont do hers as she says that she should just grow her nails even though she doesnt actually bite them and as we say say that if nail extensions aredone properly then there will not be any damage to there own nails so im not really sure what her anties real reason is.
so i do understand where you are coming from.xx

thought you was going to say that this 15 year old girl is doing nails without traing...how can i tell her NOWAY.....not to charge less for young girls....

ok hun...here goes....for starters these stupid rio kits have been in argos for a while...i noticed that they have gel,acrylic perdicure/manicure now..aswell as nail art...this girl is MAD..MAD..MAD doing this...tell her she might get sued for alot of money for damageing nails...THEN she might stop...secondly....you should not be doing nails reduced cos of age....its like someone saying "ok...bring a friend and i will do hers for nothing"....your selling yourself short hun...dont do that.it DOES NOT make you look professional at all and if its clients you want...you wont get it like that.x

i wasn't thinking in terms of gaining new clints(i'm lucky to be quite busy since i'm the only QUALIFIED nail tech in my area) i was thinking of a way to discourage the use of these kits and prevent nail damage......it's a HUGE bug bare of mine. :evil:

thanks for your reply though
:hug:

i wasn't thinking in terms of gaining new clints(i'm lucky to be quite busy since i'm the only QUALIFIED nail tech in my area) i was thinking of a way to discourage the use of these kits and prevent nail damage......it's a HUGE bug bare of mine. :evil:

thanks for your reply though
:hug:
[/color]

i would point out to her that nail techs know what they are doing and she does not....tell her she can get sued for damaging nails and who will pay for that...tell her parents that if you have to cos i bet all my money in my bank (£0.00!!!!) that she has NO insurance and without insurance she cant touch people nails.hth xx

Last edited:
Hi

I have learned at school that its a nono to do nails on a girl under the age of 16. The nail is still growing and the acrylics penetrate the nail much faster because the nail is not fully grown. So its not only the danger that the nailartist is damaging the nail but also the produkt thats a more danger to the nail.

bubbles

Hi

I have learned at school that its a nono to do nails on a girl under the age of 16. The nail is still growing and the acrylics penetrate the nail much faster because the nail is not fully grown. So its not only the danger that the nailartist is damaging the nail but also the produkt thats a more danger to the nail.

bubbles

what !!!...Acrylic does not penetrate nails...It sits on top....and Acrylic does not damage nails....Bad nail technicians and clients that pick, damage nails.

Angie this what i have learnd and all the nailartists in the netherlands. If you dont believe me that your thing.

bubbles

Angie this what i have learnd and all the nailartists in the netherlands. If you dont believe me that your thing.

bubbles

No it is not Angie's thing. She is correct.

What you have been taught is not factual and I would listen to those who know If I were you.

No nail product damages the nail plate or penetrates it. What utter rubbish you are being taught!!

Bad nail technicians who don't take care of the natural nail and naughty clients damage nail plates through bad practises and incorrect removal.

The information you have been given is wrong ... incorrect ... not true ... whatever it takes to help you realise what you are learning form whoever you are learning it is not right. Maybe a copy of the book by Doug Schoone "the world authority on nail products and chemistry" as well as the natural nail will convince you if we can't. Buy it. You will learn the truth for a change.

I wasn't thinking in terms of gaining new clints(I'm lucky to be quite busy since I'm the only QUALIFIED nail tech in my area) I was thinking of a way to discourage the use of these kits and prevent nail damage......it's a HUGE bug bare of mine.

Dear girl you are like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. :)
Forget your crusades and just get on with building your own reputation. Since when has any young person listened to the likes of us?? Eh?? You won't change anything. Forget it Get on with your own business.

Last edited:
The only reason that it is advised not to put l&p on people under 16 is because they are generally still in school and doing all sorts of activities that can break the enhancements and they also don't really know how to look after them with home maintenence or they pick or chew them off.
I'm 37 and my nails are still growing, how do you think that I get them long?

The only reason that it is advised not to put l&p on people under 16 is because they are generally still in school and doing all sorts of activities that can break the enhancements and they also don't really know how to look after them with home maintenence or they pick or chew them off.
I'm 37 and my nails are still growing, how do you think that I get them long?

Actually I have found that some of my young clients look after their nails much better than their mothers. They all know how to look after them when I have finished with them. :) And most of them do not chew them or pick them. THEY LOVE THEM.

By not fully grown in mean that the nailplate is not that firm as when you are fully grown.

Ok i will buy the book or do more reading. Its difficult to hear so many other things when you learn a nother thing here where i live.

bubbles

after writing the thread i sat and thought about this point and mayby i would be creating more problems than curing them :eek: but as geeg said they might be more inclined to look after their nails than some adults.

talk about confused.com:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
By not fully grown in mean that the nailplate is not that firm as when you are fully grown.

Ok i will buy the book or do more reading. Its difficult to hear so many other things when you learn a nother thing here where i live.

bubbles

By the time one is a teen the nail is fully formed and perfectly strong.

Does anyone have any idea how BIG the teen market for nails is in the USA??? They all wear them.

Teens also have a larger disposable income ... sometimes larger than their parents!!

Do not ignore this very important sector of the market.

Not every school in the Netherlands teaches the things you are being taught. There are some excellent companires that teach the facts. Whoever is guiding you is teaching her thoughts and not what is the factual truth. Very bad thing to do.

I agree... the Netherlands have some great educators and this is certainly not taught by the companies that I know of.
The teenagers are the clients of tomorrow so I don't refuse them I ask for parental consent if under 16.
A lot of kids try the Rio and then realise it's rubbish and see the light so to speak so try not to worry about it...hopefully there may be a true tech in the making who will learn the hard way but go on to better things x

I agree... the Netherlands have some great educators and this is certainly not taught by the companies that I know of.
The teenagers are the clients of tomorrow so I don't refuse them I ask for parental consent if under 16.
A lot of kids try the Rio and then realise it's rubbish and see the light so to speak so try not to worry about it...hopefully there may be a true tech in the making who will learn the hard way but go on to better things x

so what do you think of the idea of offering a slightly reduced rate, for the reasons i mentiond in my origonal post?

so what do you think of the idea of offering a slightly reduced rate, for the reasons i mentiond in my origonal post?

It's up to you, a lot of places do a reduction for students, often on their quieter days so that the busy days are still taken up with full paying clients. But I think if you are looking on it as a crusade then you will be mistaken - having had two girls I know that at that 14/16 years period they think they know it all and what the hell do we know anyway? ... I mean it's not like we were ever young lol!

At 15 they are young women not children anymore.I have done my daughters friends.
I tend to put them off having them in term time because they are playing sports and also schools do not like them having them on.
Prom time is coming up and this is an ideal time to promote your nails.If you dont do them they will go and get them done at the local nss.
The only problem is if you are insured to do them under a certain age.

Latest posts

Back