Your best advice+tips+tricks for new techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arhnails

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a student in the U.S.
It would be great if all of the PRO's could post information that would help all of us just learning. Things that would help us be better techs. I have been reading and searching alot of posts.
Thanks everyone.!!!!!!
arlene

arhnails said:
Hi,
I am a student in the U.S.
It would be great if all of the PRO's could post information that would help all of us just learning. Things that would help us be better techs. I have been reading and searching alot of posts.
Thanks everyone.!!!!!!
arlene

Hi Arlene! I have a few tips & hints here that may help you out...

Questions to ask....in absolutely random order

What product lines do they carry and use?
What nail services do they offer?
Will they offer any training (usually they want you to learn "their" way)
Will they pay for education?
Are they open to new product ideas?
Are they flexible with products? ( can you bring in new stuff to try)
Will they advertise, run specials?
Can you use an e-file?
Who are the "key" holders and do you have access to the salon when not
working?
Do you have to share a station?
What type of sanitation methods do they use?
What are their length of services? (compare them to yours and adjust them if
you have to)
Do they confirm appointments?
Do they charge for repairs?
Do they charge for No-Shows?
Do you get vacation days and or sick pay?
Do they take walk ins?

I'll call these "The Dirty Dozen":

1) Don't go into this thinking it's easy. It's not as easy as we make it look or the school administration makes it sound.

2) Don't go into this thinking you'll be making a lot of money. You won't. Not for a while.

3) Prepare to hunker down for the long haul. It generally takes 3-5 years of steady work to build up a good clientele.

4) Be prepared to be in the salon for hours on end with no clients on your book. It's called "paying your dues" and all of us old timers have done it.

5) Find a compatable salon and then stay in it for several years. Do not salon hop, unless you want to see your client list dwindle.

6) Grow a tough skin. If you are a quitter or a cryer you won't do well in this business. Clients can be brutal. So can salon owners and coworkers.

7) Don't think that once you have your license (or class certification(s)) you are through learning. Those that have that attitude are left in the dust by those of us striving to learn all we can. Go to as many classes and shows as possible.

8) You have to be a people person to make it in this business. If you don't like talking to people or are shy, then you need to break out of that mold.

9) Speaking of "mold", those green stains are called psuedomonas bacteria. Never call it "mold", even if your school's outdated textbook does. I had to break myself of that outdated notion, too.

10) When in school, practice on as many people as you can. Your skills will advance faster with more practice. Plus it's better to make all your mistakes while you are a student instead of making them on a paying customer.

11) A lot of schools teach outdated material. Be prepared to learn a whole new way of doing things when you get into a salon.

12) Make it easier on yourself.....when you first get out of school go to work for a salon as an employee. Make sure you absorb as much as you can by watching the other nail techs work. Sometimes you even learn what NOT to do.

These I'll call the " Easy Three":

1) Love what you do. If you don't love nails, and love learning more about nails, then this career isn't for you.

2) Be flexible. Your appointment book is not written in stone. It is more fluid and you have to go with the flow and roll with the punches.

3) The longer you stay in this business, the more money you will make. And the perks are great, too. When you are established and in demand, you can move to booth rental or even open your own salon. You can make your own schedule, choose your own products, and even choose the best clients!

Hope I didn't scare you off! Just telling it to you like it is. Good luck and keep on posting.

Latest posts

Back