Your children and chores ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Just out of interest how much does your child do around the home,i.e washing

up,hoovering,ironing etc?How old were they when they started to help out?Do you have

the opinion that it's unfair or wrong to ask children to do any chores?Is this how they make their pocket money?It's interesting listening to my kids telling me what their friends DONT have to do.:irked:

I don't have kids.......BUT
I always helped about the house with chores when I was young, as did my sister.
OK I moaned....but it was part of life....and it has stood me in good stead.

My main chore when I came in from school, would be to set the table, and get the tea started before Mum came home from work, peel potatoes get things prepared etc...and I would be about 12 yrs old then. I could already make a mean pot of soup at that age!
I would also do my own ironing, and just generally help with the washing, bearing in mind these were the days before automatic washing machines....those twin tubs were hard work lol:lol:!!

In fact I think at age 14yrs I went out and got myself a part time job after school and on Saturdays.....just to get a rest from the housework. Although once working my pocket money stopped and I had to pay for all my own personal items like deodorant make up etc, and make my pay last all week!

When I worked full time during the summer holidays...I got to keep my 1st full weeks pay, thereafter I paid dig money to my mother for my keep!!!

I left home at 19 through my career choice....and I could manage my finances and keep a nice tidy flat, and cook & feed myself.....so it worked for me!!

My opinion is..it isn't chores kids are doing...it is life skills they are learning!!

All of my children have chores to do (how else would I have the time to geek!) even the 3 year old.

Now these chores vary hugely, the 3 year old is of course expected to help tidy up his toys, but he also has to put his underwear away when it has been washed.

My 8 year old has to put all of her washing/ironing away, and her job is to put the boxes of cereals away after breakfast. She also feeds her guinea pig.

Both of these 2 are only little, and although this is what we aim for, it isn't a huge problem to me if they don't always happen, I just think that it a good idea for them all to understand from a young age that they need to be helpful.

At the age of 10 they start getting pocket money, so the chores HAVE to be done.

My 11 year olds job is to unload the dishwasher and to clean out the guinea pig. He also puts his own washing away.

The 12 year old has to load the dishwasher and to make the bread every evening (chuck the ingredients into the bread maker) He also has to put his washing away.

Now IMO none of these jobs are too hard, but it does make them all understand the importance of 'mucking in'

My 3 year old can't wait for the baby to arrive, apparently HE is going to look after it for me :lol:

I have three boys ages ranging from 4-13
Each of them have a job that they hve to do which is from filling up dishwasher to hoovering the house.

They have to make sure that there rooms are immaculate otherwise heads will roll
my philosophy is you made it a mess you clean it up
i still have to go behind them all though

I have a 13yr old son and two stepsons (aged 9 and 6) and for the last 2 yrs they have been doing the washing up. They do the washing up on the days that they eat with us. My son does the washing and the other 2, dry the dishes and put them away. Initially they all protested, but now they know it's whats gonna be or they don't get either, out to play, on the computer, watch their tv programmes or maybe an ice lolly!

The youngest still protests bitterly, but I think that's just for the banter!

I did get my son to do some ironing, but now I use a steam press and think it's too dangerous for them to use. They all have to clean and tidy their rooms once a week. The only thing I will do in their rooms, is change the bedding. They have to make the bed, dust the shelves, tidy toys or games away and hoover their floor.

They don't get regular pocket money, but they do get taken to pictures, money for tuck shop at youth club etc.

My son gets his mobile bill (£30 max per month) and his golf membership paid for, so he's going to be getting more chores added to his list! He tells me his mates don't have to do anything, but I say "tough, you do, end off!"

Just to add :lol:

I honestly think that the children helping has made them more understanding of things. For instance 2 weeks ago when I fell and hurt myself, for 3 days my eldest boys put dirty washing in the machine, turned it on, put it in the tumble drier and then bought it to me ready to be folded once it had dried, they did this happily because they knew that I couldn't lift/bend etc.

My friend has twins that are the same age as my eldest, they don't do chores. A few months back she has a small op on her back and her 2 wouldn't help her AT ALL. I guess they just don't understand.

I know which little ones make me happy :hug:

I think its really good for kids to help out in the home, it teaches them independance, the value of money and gives them foundations for a good work ethic.

My kids all help out, even the little one whos not even two yet helps me hang the wshing on the raditors and 'polishes'. :)The eldest two who are 11 and 8 have to help wash & dry the pots in an evening, put their ironing away, hang washing on line and polish their rooms. My 5 years old has just started helping put pots away. they all have to make their own beds in a morning. They actually fight over who wants to do jobs for me, although I bet it wont last!!:lol:

In return for them helping they get pocket money and oher rewards.

No little ones around the house for me yet, but I remember always being asked to help my mum with washing/wiping up, tidying up, watering the garden etc.

I think that although I was always reluctant to help out and was probably asked a million times, I did do what was asked me of me eventually!

There's no harm in asking is there? In fact there are so many things that you do for them, having an extra pair of hands to help out occasionally is always going to be a bonus for you.

How about offering an incentive, like a bit of extra pocket money?

I have Jacob (aged 15:smack:) and I have always tried to trained him from an early age to help around the house.

My thoughts are that all children will one day be independent and they need to know how to do certain things. If it is indoctrinated into them from an early age then it shouldn't be a problem for them when they are older. They will also have the correct tools to survive the transition from dependancy to independence.

When he was younger he would help me load the washer and put the pots away. He has even been known to use a duster and he loved the hoovering.

However, despite the early training he seems to have forgotten it all. I think they loose brain cells and memory when their hormones are rampant! The indoctrination went out the window!!!:irked:

I have to bully, shout, cajole and everything else to get him to do anything now.

He is expected to keep his room clean and hoover it once a week. It is also his job to pick up the dog doodoo from the back garden.:eek: He also empties the kitchen bin.

I have tried to get him to do a bit of ironing and washing but he has no interest and would probably wear dirty, wrinkled clothes if I didn't do it for him.

But he does have a paper round and earns £15.00 a week doing that and he also works on the market helping Andy pack up stock and take it to the cellars every night. He earns £20.00 a week from that.

So all in all I can't complain.....but I do...often!!!:)

My two boys dont do anything around the house, that was up until I read this. It will all change from tonight though. I do everything from wash, iron put their clothes away even down to their socks and pants, pick up toys after them both. I am ashamed to say that I do it all. :cry:
I do agree that it does give them a sense of responabilty and be a little more independant.

(I have now found out why I feel cream cracked all the time):lol:

I have 5 children... 20 years old...16...10...6... and 1 years old. The all do chores and have done since they could walk... ( which was 7 months old for one of them! ). I have just bought my youngest one a toy dustpan and brush...and he uses it to sweep up his crumbs ( all our floors are tiled so he has watched me sweeping up about 10 times a day ) which he enjoys but is actually getting him in readiness for the chores of the future!!!! :lol: His first birthday is tomorrow so I will give him the day off from sweeping but he can get straight back onto it the next day :smack:

Mine have all done the usual chores...and I have made sure they all start cooking/making their own food from a very early age too. My ten year old has been making pretty impressive poached eggs on toast for ages now... and my 20 year old was making roast dinners from about 8 years old.

The reason I have made my children do lots around the house is because I had EVERYTHING done for me when I was a child..I was mollycoddled big time...and although I can cook well...it's made me a right lazy bugger when it comes to housework/housewifey skills...:irked: I do the basics but thats it...why dust when you can read!

So my philosophy is I am creating perfect wives/husbands for the future!

:lol::lol::lol: xxx

My opinion is..it isn't chores kids are doing...it is life skills they are learning!!

absolutly...!!!!

my kids do chores...the chores are chosen to be acceptable for there age....i don't want my kids growing not knowing how to look after themselves...infact i would go as far as to say i had failed as a parent if they did.

They do not get paid for doing chores....i give them pocket money as standard....not much...enough for a colouring book or magazine....however...if they misbehave...pocket money stays put in my purse.

My eldest who is 13 does the hoovering, polishing and general clearing round but he claims he doesnt know how to wash up!!!! for goodness sake, soon gave him a lesson in washing up, wether he does it properly is another matter lol.

I do think its good for kids to help around the home, im trying to train my youngest whose 7 to get his hand dirty but its a battle at the moment, we will get there.

I used to do chores for my mum when i got home from school, didnt have to be told just done it, she cam home from work with it spick and span wasnt i nice :lol: xxx

As others have said you are also teaching them life skills, i mean i dont want my son thinking he can laze around and watch his partner do it all no way hose........
Great Thread Babsann
Juliex

My children are 3.5 & 5.5yrs old. And they have chores. :lol: I'm starting them young.:lol:

• It's their jobs to feed the cat and dog at meal times.
  • They clean up their own toys.
  • Put their own dirty laundry in the hamper.
  • Make their own beds (ok, not really well, but I hate climbing on top of the bunkbed, so as long as it looks "kinda made" I'm ok with that LOL)
  • They put their dirty dishes in the sink when they are done.
  • They put away their own socks and underwear when I've done laundry.
  • And they like to help me unload the dishwasher (I prefer that they dont, but ah well, they mean well lol)
I grew up doing chores; doing nightly dishes, peeling potatoes at dinner, friday cleaning (bathroom & vacuuming and such), yard stuff, shovelling the snow in winter.... I plan on it being the same around here. Everyone works together and benefits by having free time together. It also teaches them responsibility.
While I don't intend on them having as much to do as I did (my father was ridiculous:irked: and ran the house like a naval ship), they will have their own little jobs.

It's important that the family works as a team, and shares the responsibility. Because we did chores growing up, it meant my mom had more free time for us. And free time with mom was hard to come by as she had a full time job. When we didn't get our chores done, we lost out on activities. It'll be the same here.

PS: when they grumble about their toys, I tell them "Momma's working too, they're not my toys and I didn't play with them, I'm not your maid. Pick them up, or I bin them". They pick them up and that's the end of that. Sometimes they're quick about it, sometimes they're not. But they have learned that there is always a benefit to cleaning up their toys, there's always something for us to do together afterwards.

My kids are 16 and 10, they have always had chores, my 16 year old walks the dogs once a day, brings the washing in, has to clean and tidy his room once a week.

My 10 year old is really helpful, she helps with most things but when it comes to her room :mad:, she drives me insane, in fact she has just been sent to tidy it, I couldn't see the carpet this morning.

I should let them help more in the kitchen but I'm afraid of them burning themselves etc., not so much my 16 year old, but Caitlyn, she gets to make toast but at the moment the kettle is a no-no.

This has made interesting reading,my kids have chores to do BUT they dont half moan about it.I have all the speel about how their friends dont have do anything:eek:

Since I broke my arm they have been good but I still get the odd grumble,I believe it's very important to teach children how to manage chores,as mentioned it puts them in good stead for life,none of this, having my boys grow up unable to iron because they didn't even know how to switch an iron on.:eek:I want my kids to grew up being able to fend for themselves if need be.I dont want slaves for kids,dont get me wrong but...I think a little work never hurt anyone and it teaches them to appreciate how much us mums and Dads do for them.

When I think what I did from the age of 11 they have it easy,if they dont do their chores they dont go out,simple as....cant really enforce that on my 19 year old though,unfortunately.She obviously knows which side her breads buttered on otherwise she wouldn't still be living at home at nearly 20.:green:

My kids do nothing apart from hang their clothes up, which in itself is a problem to get them to do.
My middle child (14) seems to think it's a chore when I ask him to have a shower.:smack:
It's my own fault..I know but after running around after them for 16 years I've made a rod for my own back.:irked:
No wonder I'm so knackered.
If I ask anyone here to do anything they either do it wrong or take so long I tell them not to bother and do it myself.

My kids are 8 & 10 and do things such as laying the table, clearing the table, putting their clothes away, putting clothes in washing bin, helping feed the guinea pigs and put them in and out of their run etc (and there's 5 of them lol), occasionally helping make sandwiches, preparing a few veg etc.

Then there are other jobs which I bribe them to do such as hoovering, hanging washing out, pairing hundreds of socks, various little cleaning tasks, these things pay from 50p so if they get busy they can have a bit of spending money. We don't just give pocket money as standard . . . but this might be under review soon as I feel perhaps they ought to have pocket money without having to do chores? I don't know, I'm torn . . . and then I don't know how much pocket money we ought to give them. Maybe another thread coming up there lol)

Good thread, interesting to hear what everyone does

my boys are 12, 10 and 9 they do the usual tidy their rooms and make their beds ...too their standards pmsl.
i have a calender with their names and who ever name is on that day has to lay the table, make the drinks etc.
if i ask them to do something...they do it...but they dont hoover, sort their washing out etc.....
i was the eldest and had to take my brothers to school on buses at 8 and do a hell of a lot......so i go a bit easier on the boys...but i have started to teach my eldest how to make (me) a cup of tea.
as long as you go along the way over the years and teach them to use a washing machine and teach them to do things like make omlettes, spag bol etc......then there isnt much more you can do, cause they will learn when they leave home. But they should look after their rooms, their toys, and clean up after them selves.......
reguarding pocket money.....that depends if they have given me any attitude during the week lol.

. . . and then I don't know how much pocket money we ought to give them. Maybe another thread coming up there lol)

Good thread, interesting to hear what everyone does

well i give Amber (7) & and Tayla (6) £1 per week each.....there is a price saver shop that sells everything and anything near us so they can choose something from there...or if they don't have enough, they save for it.

Ria is older (11) and does get more....she plays out with her mates now so she often says can i have 50p for this and that...and she and her mates go swimming in the holidays and thats about £2 a go....so over a week she gets about £4-£5 .... so we don't give her pocket money during the holidays.

While she is at school we give her pocket money and she is so wise with it...she wanted a DS last year..(was £100)...i said "well its not your birthday or christmas and thats alot of money...if you save hard for it and save at least half i will give you the other half"....and she did.

Latest posts

Back