Your facial procedure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
When you do a facial what do you do when the mask is on ? Also for those of you that are clients what would you like your therapist to do ?

The reason i ask is when i was on holiday i had a 1 1/4 hr facial with two masks totaling 30mins and the therapist did absolutley nothing in that time just went off for a fag break (i know as i could smell it when she came back). I wasn't very happy about this as it cost over £40 so i was expecting at least a hand massage but got nothing :irked:

When i do a facial my client has a scalp and hand massage then i spend a couple of minutes filling in the prescription form.

I massage their hands,scalp and feet i know all my clients very well so they are prepared for me to do their feet but i wouldn't automatically do everyones feet.I would never just leave them.

As a Therapist, I havent done any massages as yet on my clients when they have their masks on, but it sounds like a great idea to me!

I have however done a file and polish in the time though!

About the smoke on the Therapist that you smelt .... not too professional!

I always do a head and shoulder massage whilst the mask is on. I would never leave the client just lying there. Very unprofessional me thinks.

Like the feet idea, used to use hot mitts on them at my previous salon.

When i have a facial i always ask now when i book what happens when the mask is on just to make sure im not lying there twidling my thumbs. Apart from clarins every other place ive worked or had a facial has either done nothing at all or wizzed through a scalp massage :irked:

Thing is at college we were never told to do anything, we just sat there for 15 mins so i can't understand why lots of therapists don't do anything as they've never been told to.

Like the feet idea, used to use hot mitts on them at my previous salon.

When i have a facial i always ask now when i book what happens when the mask is on just to make sure im not lying there twidling my thumbs. Apart from clarins every other place ive worked or had a facial has either done nothing at all or wizzed through a scalp massage :irked:

Thing is at college we were never told to do anything, we just sat there for 15 mins so i can't understand why lots of therapists don't do anything as they've never been told to.

Would you charge extra for the treatment? Whether its hand, scalp or foot massage?

Would you charge extra for the treatment? Whether its hand, scalp or foot massage?

Ive incorporated the prices into the whole treatment procedure but if i hadn't then yes id probably charge an extra £5 or something.

I also mention it in my price list to. Ive had new clients just from hearing that i do a scalp & hand massage in the facial and they've left salons that they have been going to for years :) X

I always do a hand and lower arm massage while the mask is on. The only time I stop with any hands on is when I go and replenish the water with some nice warm water to remove the mask. I would feel quite vunerable to be left on a couch with product covering my face if I didn't know where my therapist was.

Actually i am the total opposite. i had the most fab facial in Spain and when the masks went on the therapist left the room. It was so wonderful to be able to just totally drift away without worrying that someone else was in the room. Thus now when I leave the mask on I leave the room too - I tell my clients before the facial starts that I'll do this and so they can just totally drift away. Nearly always when i come back they are asleep!

I agree though, coming back stinking of smoke is not good.

Actually i am the total opposite. i had the most fab facial in Spain and when the masks went on the therapist left the room. It was so wonderful to be able to just totally drift away without worrying that someone else was in the room. Thus now when I leave the mask on I leave the room too - I tell my clients before the facial starts that I'll do this and so they can just totally drift away. Nearly always when i come back they are asleep!

I do this to Sass, I think the client relaxes more.

After I've applied the masque, I fill out a product presription sheet, then do a hand and lower arm massage. I never leave the room during a facial.

I always massage the hands and arms, scalp, and/or feet while a mask is on - not only is it incredibly relaxing for your client, it's an excellent opportunity for them to get a feel for your touch and will help to sell your other treatments.

Think about it - if you notice they have dry skin on their hands or feet, if their cuticles are less than perfect, their eyebrows could do with a tidy, or you pick up tension in their shoulders, it's an ideal opportunity to mention it whilst going through their homecare... "Jon/Jolene, I noticed you had a bit of tension in your shoulders today, have you been aware of this yourself? Have you thought about booking yourself in for a back massage, I'm sure we can get to work on that and sort it out in no time... etc etc"

I turn about 80% of my first-time male facial clients into repeat bookings for back massages, eyebrow waxes, manicures and hot towel shaves - and all it costs me is a few pence for the extra massage cream!

Andy x

i too do a hand and lower arm massage - was taught that this was a 'nice touch' at college (which i think it is)

Im off to champneys springs (last years christmas present needing to be used up !) in a couple of weeks, cant wait to see what their treatments are like !!

Amb x

I also do reiki on them as part of a treatment I know you are probably not attuned to reiki but think about it for the future as it compliments massage and any type of relaxation treatment very well

I normally discuss with them before the treatment starts. I either offer a hand and arm massage, or a foot massage. Some clients prefer to have nothing done, in which case, I let them relax on their own.

I think you just have to go with what you client decides.

I normally discuss with them before the treatment starts. I either offer a hand and arm massage, or a foot massage. Some clients prefer to have nothing done, in which case, I let them relax on their own.

Yes definately what you should be doing.

I massage the decollete and shoulders for 15-20 mins during the mask. :lol:

This is what I do too. I think most people are so relaxed by this point it's nice for them to just have a bit of time to themselves. I just cover their eyes & softly tell them I'm going to get fresh water & leave them for a couple of minutes. They can lay there & listen to the music & dooze off.
The skincare range I'm about to take on, does do things like hand massage etc while the mask is on though, so I'll probably follow their routine.

I massage the decollete and shoulders for 15-20 mins during the mask. :lol:
I do this during the facial massage, when the mask is on I apply it to this area as well.

We are the same at our salon Sass,in our facial we leave the client,they love the fact that they can really relax without worrying that they are being watched.Our mask is only on for 10 mins so its not long.

When we do the non surgical face lift we do a hand massage when the mask,that's plugged into the machine is on,It would be a bit claustaphobic if we left the room with the client plugged into the machine.I dont think our clients would like that at all.:eek:

We do a longer Haute Corture facial whcih does incorporate a hand massage when the 2nd mask is on and I also do this when I do the luxury Eve Taylor facial.It would be just too long if we didn't do anything,other than leave the room.

When I worked in my last salon there were a lot of therapsists that smoked,I actually had some of them complain to me about the smelly breath,clothes and hands.If you are a non smoker nothing can mask these smells from you.

Although I'm still training to do facials, this is what I've been trained to do. Having read other posts different clients must like different things so its best for them to choose for themselves.

Latest posts

Back