Your favourite strengthener/treatment for brittle, peeling nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
I have a client who's just come back to me after a while of looking after her nails at home.
She is on thyroid medication and has always had problems with her nails peeling at the ends which can get quite bad and negatively affects her polish wear.
Her nails are also quite hard and very ridged.
Right now she is using some Mavala nail treatment which she says is like a brush oil/liquid (not a strengthener) in a little bottle which soaks into her nails.
However, ideally I'd like to recommend her a product that I know is targeted especially for her nail type - as I don't know what's in the Mavala strengthener I don't know if it's actually suitable. For all I know it may be drying her nails out even more!
Obviously I've recommended cuticle oil but I just wondered what people had had good results with on this type of nail.

I always recommend Solar Oil ... the trouble is though clients tend to apply it when they remember and not on a regular basis which they should be doing!

I know! I always say to people - if you can't remember it regularly, keep it by your toothbrush and apply morning and night as part of your usual routine. I don't know if they take the advice though :|
I've found a link to the Mavala website with what she is using:
Mavala Scientifique
It says it is designed for peeling nails.... at the same time it says do not apply under nails or get it on the skin, which worries me slightly! I'd love to know what's in it...

Either Nailtiques formula 2 or Nail Envy by OPI for peeling nails. the hairdressers i used to work with used to have terrible peeling nails and both of these sorted it for them. However it may make the brittleness worse so apply a good cuticle oil as you say several times a day. Also don;t use treatments with coloured nail polish as it tends to lessen the effects ... at least that's what I was taught by Nailtiques. Also make sure she uses rubber gloves when necessary as the constant wetting and then dehydration is what makes peeling worse ... which is why hairdressers usually suffer.

Edited to add, regular fortnightly manicures by you will make a tremendous difference too

The reason they say don't get strengtheners on the skin is because it's a treatment to harden the nails and so will treat the skin too and make it go hard. it's always one of the after care advice tips I give to clients when they buy a strengthener from me.

Thanks Sassy :)
I wouldn't advise ever getting a strengthener on the skin, I'm just curious as to what this product actually is as it's not in traditional strengthener form (ie, looks like a basecoat), it's a funny blue liquid that soaks into the nail.
I know what you mean about the drying effect which is why I'm hoping to find a moisturising product to use but I think at this rate oil may be the best bet.
I know the Soft & Peeling Nail Envy is the only one of that range not to use formaldehyde although I'm not sure what the active ingredients are.
And I will try to get her onto the manicures! :lol: She comes regularly but only for a shape & paint, I'm trying to talk her up into a manicure instead!

I use CND Toughen Up on all my natural nail clients and have had great success with it - also as has been said before, regular Solar Oil.

The only thing that's worked for me is enhancements (well, nno gels in particular) :D:D

I think I used that Mavala stuff years ago and it can make your nails VERY brittle. It is quite strong from what I remember and stings the skin. :eek:

Fusion by Jessica is really good. I've had some excelent results with that.

For nails that have delamination I use the Re:fusion machine invented by Mum to reseal the nail plate layers together then oil and seal the free edge to lock the oil into the nail plate.
David

I would use EZ Flow's natural nail treatment, which is great to strengthen without causing brittleness.

I love it, i especially offer it to clients who go from natural nail overlay to natural nails completely. They love it.

Latest posts

Back