Your Local Business Link

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noosha04

Reaction score
Hi All, how you doing? :)

I wanted to post this as I thought it was really seriously useful!

I booked an appointment to see my local Business Link (all services are free). I was so very impressed with their services and advice I felt I had to post this info for all to see!

First off, Linda (Business Link Consultant) asked me what business I was interested in, and where I was at the moment, and if I had any long term plans.

We had a general discussion and she came up with loads of ideas...

She found me "Business Opportunity Profiles" on Nail Technician and Manicurist. Each of these are very, very informative ("The desire to have beautiful nails first began in ancient Egyptian times when the rich would wear shapes made out of gold, bone or ivory on their nails to differentiate them from servants and slaves and to show that they did no manual labour"!!!!)

Information such as:
  • What are the current business issues?
  • What is the market potential?
  • Who are your customers likely to be?
  • Who are your competitors likely to be?
  • What are the marketing and sales tactics?
  • Training and qualifications
  • What additional skills are required?
  • Start up and running costs
  • What prices can you charge? (all up to date)
  • What insurance policies are required?
  • Legal Issues
  • Who to tell (i.e. The Inland Revenue etc)

is all included in all factsheets.

There's also a large Further Information section with telephone numbers and websites at the back of each Factsheet.

:cool: There's a Free Start Up Workshop Programme that runs every two/three months. Topics covered over 3 days include:
  • Legal Status of your proposed business
  • Pricing and costing
  • Record Keeping
  • Allowable expenses
  • Book-keeping
  • Self assessment
  • Marketing your business
  • Understand the marketing process
  • How to get the most from your marketing budget
  • Advertising, promotion, brochures
  • Business planning
  • Personal budgets
  • Business insurances
  • Overheads for the year
  • Cashflow
So, what I'm trying to say is, if you're a new starter (like me) get yourself down to your local Business Link as they've got so much help to offer - and it's all FREE! :cool:

Unbelievable really! Sorry for such a long posting..

N xxx

Thanks for posting Noosha!

I'm sure lots of people will find it useful!

I'm gonna print it out in case there's anything I've missed!

Regards,

Karen

I had heard of them. I did not reliase that all there services are free. WOW gonna phone up my local one !!!! :)

Yes I visited my local business think a few week ago and am booked onto a free course in Sep. Well worth it.

hi is there a main number to phone for this so i can find if theres one near to me ???

Up here in Scotland I think we refer to it as the Small Business Gateway. We covered most of the items you mentioned. The course is run over approx. 4 weeks for around 3 hours each time.

I even got a certificate on completion. (I must put that up on my wall!)

I did the course last year and it was absolutely fantastic. Apparantly some banks will not give you loans until you've done the course they rate it so highly.

Latest posts

Back