Your nail nemesis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confidence!

I've been doing nails since 2001 - and with CND since 2004. Though I already had a full nail enhancement qualification, I wanted to start from the very beginning to make sure that my knowledge was as it should be.

My nails aren't bad. My clients are all delighted with them. I just never feel that they're good enough. :o

I've been desperate to do my masters since I knew it was an option, but never felt 'ready' to do them. That's changed a bit since the event - it was amazingly inspiring! And I realised that it was always going to be a journey.

Btw - my masters are booked for July and August and I can't wait! :D

French manicure (I'm sure this won't be a surprise) and Decadence on tiny nails. I adore Decadence but cringe whenever I get a request for it. I either get it everywhere or do a decent paint and outline but with a massive gap around the edges, never a happy medium.

Also, I need to work on how to neaten up something that's gone awry. Struggling a bit with this at the moment.

And mine!!

Total nightmare, they take SUCH a long time to do, free edge gel runs all over the show and they just aren't strong enough. I've just been on the Brisa Lite build it class and I have to say, it is such a nicer product to build with and stronger too.

My current nemesis is sculpting and form fitting. I will produce a perfect set of sculpts in 1hr 30 by the end of this year if it kills me!

Glad im not the only one who thinks they arent strong enough!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Wedding enhancements/shellac. I know its just a service like any normal one but I stress more about it as I know it's so important for them to be exactly what the bride wants for her special day. I feel I could be responsible for spoiling it :)

Wedding enhancements/shellac. I know its just a service like any normal one but I stress more about it as I know it's so important for them to be exactly what the bride wants for her special day. I feel I could be responsible for spoiling it :)

Yes - mine too!! I probably think more about it than the bride does!?!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

L&p - never seem to get enough practice and the odd set I do takes me a good hour & 45 minutes to two hours and I still rarely have a set come back without lifting. It's a skill I really want to master but it seems pointless paying for more training when I only get asked for them once in a blue moon. But would I naturally gain more clients if I were more confident and could push them more? I talk myself round in circles about it all the time lol !

I'm the exact same way! I just recently switched my mom over to L&P so that I could get regular practice at it...poor mom, she's always my guinea pig lol

Just timings on enhancements. Even when I keep my head down and talk to the hand I'm still at way too long.
Don't think it helps that I'm either at the clients or they are at my home salon it's like they don't want me to go its all chat chat chat
Vicki x

Pedicures! Uuuurgh so boring and awkward to position myself and my products.

Xxx

timing with enhancements can't seem to break the two hour barrier and it gets me down, it doesn't help that i don't do that many.

and removing unknown product

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

It is easy to avoid vapour and odours if you just employ some technique to avoid doing the things that cause it.
Wiping your brush on a paper towel ... do not do it; it is the number one cause of vapours (we do not make fumes).

Sorry meant vapours lol fumes sounds like its from an exhaust!) I've tried to avoid them but even the smell in the drawer before I've opened it is enough to give me the warning signs, luckily my ladies prefer to have natural nails with Gelish so it's not much of an issue unless they break a nail.

Removing "Shellac" that isn't shellac and timing of enhancements' rebalances. Can't do faster then 2.30 hours!

It's a weird one, but a set of 'square' or 'squoval' enhancements only take me a hour... Where as other shapes can take double that, it's not the shaping its the apex placement. Even though it all works the same but different shapes but my brain just has a little block and applying the l&p takes me forever!

Doing the white with gel. Can do it perfectly well with L&P and with Shellac. But the darn gel white has every time!

I think I'm the same as you Shannon, I get in a panic about timings, and I'm only part time with nails right now, but everything in progress. The other thing is filing out my own nails, drives me crazy, always critical of them, never happy, but that's the perfectionist in me lol. X

Ohmygosh! Me too! Time is my nemesis, nothing else. Always time. And not always my own fault with time, like clients being late...so, time. Then, it's my own dang nails! Everyone asks me if I do my own nails and I say "yes, of course, so if someone likes them they can come to me for their nails." Yet I am never happy with them. Maybe I am happy with them for a second then I start seeing flaws nobody else can see so I pretend I love them but just keep thinking about what I am going to do with them next!! Ack!:grr:

Oh my I have a lot!!
L&P- I haven't had much practice, I never even learned how to do a fill in school.
Gels- only did them on one model!!
Cuticle nippers- I'm afraid I will make someone bleed!
I definitely need to work on my confidence! I am too critical of myself.

Where do I start with this lol. My timings people always comment on my acrylic timing which makes me feel worse. And my shellac application I can't help but think I could do better so I'm going to see if I can speak with s2 today see if they can recommend any extra training on making my shellac look pristine like some if the pics I see xx

I would have to say complicated nail art...I have been doing acrylics for years so I feel like I could do it in my sleep but the moment someone wants nail art over the top of their gel polish/shellac like straight lines, major detail etc I stress for a bit (dots, glitter etc is easy) but I really am having problems with my lines...I can do them but they take me forever as I hate them not being perfect, I would prefer a 3D bow etc anyday haha but I know I just need to practise :eek:

One word. . . KONAD!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Mine are my smile lines and complex nail art. I panic whenever people ask for them and try to talk them out of it! That's and my timings which I'm conscious of especially when doing acrylics! I'm a perfectionist so highly critical of my own work and never feel it's good enough!

I REALLY hate removals when the client has been 'butchered' elsewhere. I hate seeing the disappointment in their faces once they see their naked nails again - I feel responsible and that I ought to be able to do more. I hate bad mouthing other techs too :(

Latest posts

Back