Your opinions on what this is?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline90

Reaction score
Hey geeks :)

So my cousin said she wanted to start coming to me regular for Enhancements!
She came over yesterday evening and i noticed this on her nails.. ( il post a pic below)
I asked her about it and said she started to notice a discoloration in her nails a few weeks ago.. She went to her GP as she taught it was a fungal infection, her GP said it was fine as her nail beds were clear, just to apply an anti fungal nail lacquer and it should be fine.. She said she did this and trimmed her nails to keep them short but nothing has changed.. Her nails are very thin and bendy and she longs for strong natural nails, i would of taught it was a bacterial infection! Any opinions or advice would be appreciated :)
Caroline x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395090740.889597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Just a thought has she been applying self tan??

yes i agree her fingers also look a bit discoloured, as if she has been applying fake tan?

a fungal infection would take months to clear up, it wouldn't go in weeks. The only way to clarify this is for her to do some nail clippings for the doctor to send away and be tested, they will give her a little kit to do it with, but i don't think they look fungal x

Can't see much! It looks like stains from fake tan or hair dye. Doesn't look like anything at all to be worried about and id still do the enhancements on her.

I can't actually see anything ON her nails just UNDER them. Looks like self tan/hair dye possibly makeup.

I have asked her about tan/hair dye and she said its not either of them.. She said she clips her nails and they look ok but when they grow out abit it comes back, she said she has cleaned under her nails and it still comes back.

Caroline x

Is she a smoker? Have u tried buffing over the nail to try and remove the discolouring?

Does she use saffron or turmeric when cooking?

I have asked her about tan/hair dye and she said its not either of them.. She said she clips her nails and they look ok but when they grow out abit it comes back, she said she has cleaned under her nails and it still comes back.

Caroline x

Tbh i'd still say its just dirt/food/tan stuck under the free edge. Sorry to be disgusting lol i'd just tell her to get a nail brush under them & give them a good clean

The actual nail plate looks fine! Gawd knows why the doctor has given her a fungal spray! This just looks like staining from something or plain old dirt. She doesn't use play dough a lot does she? My sister is a t.a. and every time they use brown or yellow play dough her nails get stained.

I have very thin bendy nails like this and my free edge is always discoloured or transparent. I think it might just be the way her nails are as mine are similar :s

I have very thin bendy nails like this and my free edge is always discoloured or transparent. I think it might just be the way her nails are as mine are similar :s

No she doesnt smoke or use tumeric or anything.. i can see where it looks like it could be tan but she is adamant its not as she doesnt use tan.. she has told me that she clips them and cleans them but they still grow back this way so im not so sure its dirt.
From looking at them on Sunday evening the free edge does look very transparent!
Il see if i can get a better picture of her nails as that one isnt great
Caroline x

No she doesnt smoke or use tumeric or anything.. i can see where it looks like it could be tan but she is adamant its not as she doesnt use tan.. she has told me that she clips them and cleans them but they still grow back this way so im not so sure its dirt.
From looking at them on Sunday evening the free edge does look very transparent!
Il see if i can get a better picture of her nails as that one isnt great
Caroline x

To be honest I don't know what all the fuss is about, there certainly doesn't look anything medically wrong. I would do the enhancements for her with colour or French to disguise and I'm sure she'll be chuffed.

Is she colouring her hair herself?

Latest posts

Back