Your Own Natural Nails....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
I soaked my enhancements off last night and my natural nails are is such bad condition some worse than others :cry: . I no it's down to me when I was new and practising on myself and getting a little carried away before, but now I'm feeling the pain :cry: :cry: :cry: . Why did it not hurt weeks ago when I was doing it and now that I'm more practised it does.:cry:

The thing is when I'm doing clients nails I'm so careful, but with my own I want them to look super dooper so I file and file until they are smooth and no ridge around the cuticle.

I was so embarassed I have put them all back on today at college to hide them, but my ring finger is throbbing and I want to take it off but I don't want to be odd and a bad advertisement for my business if anyone saw it.

I just wondered if anyone else has this problem or am I insane?:irked:

Sadly this sounds horribly familiar. At the beginning I overfiled, cut myself witht he file and even 'gave myself' onycholisis on 2 fingers, just before I went to my Creative l&p induction! I felt so stupid.

If you've got solar oil then use it lots and if you havn't then try and get some.

IMO keep the enhancements on as they protect your sore nails but keep them short.

Finally, be kinder to your nails.

Now just because I did something similar doesnt mean that you aren't insane. Can't help you with that I'm afraid! lol xx :hug:

i've taken them off once, only once!
i have crap for nails anyway, so i will never do that again.
thank God for acrylic!
i will be burried with acrylic nails with a great design!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

when i was training in nail enhancements i wouldn't let anyone put tips on only overlays i ahve quite long nails and i was determined not to have them ruined

and i very rarely practice putting tips on myself unless it was to even up my nails if i have a short one

don't be silly, you are not insane you just need be more careful thats all

im sure most of us have done it hun
i know i have , i gve myself onycholosis , too , my nails were so weak , i couldnt not have enhacements on ,
i found my right hand was the weakest by far , i think this is because i couldnt file that hand properly , and i do admit to biting them off quite a few times too ,
but i have to say GET SOME SOLAR OIL :green: i got some a few weeks ago and have been applying it religiously also got some Creative "Toughen Up" nail strengthener , and my nails are fab now , i cant even bend themat all ..
bloomin fantastic !!!

Speaking as a GIT, um....I've done the same thing. They're actually mostly grown out now but I've kept the enhancements on to protect them for the past several weeks. I redid them with emerald green glitter tips last week for St. Paddy's day and that cheered me up considerably. This time, I avoided giving myself rings of fire. Finally!

It's just practice, practice, practice. Break out the dowels or clothespins or nail trainer or polish bottle and forms and go to town! One thing I did earlier in my course was to attach full tips to my clothespins with acrylic (don't use adhesive as they don't stay put). I shaped them, then polished them with bright red for practice. Then, I cut them short and put on tips and blended. That way, I could see if I would have been damaging the natural nail if the polish was removed or scratched.

My desk at home has a huge pile of nail tipped clothespins in various stages of completion. It's not the same as a real hand, but it beats mangling myself anymore. If you don't have a nail trainer, check it out. They get raves here. DH just ordered me one as a gradation present so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

S

I soaked my enhancements off last night and my natural nails are is such bad condition some worse than others :cry: . I no it's down to me when I was new and practising on myself and getting a little carried away before, but now I'm feeling the pain :cry: :cry: :cry: . Why did it not hurt weeks ago when I was doing it and now that I'm more practised it does.:cry:
You probably find that if you have filed away that much at your natural nail, that it has thinned out and now is a lot more sensitive to touch, especially when naked!:eek: (The nails that is!:lol: )

Get a nail trainer hun and practise your file control nothing worst than a tech with damaged nails :)

Iv done the same thing kim as im training at college,iv always had nice nails but iv ruined them.Anyway i bought some solar oil and toughen up and my nails are looking ok now within a week so its good stuff.Iv also just bought a nail trainer to do this on aswell,get some oil/toughen up its fab xx

Oh hun,

I've done exactly the same thing doing infills on myself! I had some quite bad lifting at the cuticle so filed it all away nicely (or so I thought!) before infilling. A couple of weeks later when I decided to soak my nails off, I realised I'd filed away such a patch on my right index nail that, if I pressed it, it would dip down!:Scared: Am much more careful on myself now, but still need loads of practise blending.
Keep going, but just be careful. Look at Geeg's filing tutorial, it may help.

http://www.salongeek.com/finishing-maintenance/8286-file-control-part-1-getting-grip.html

i have done it too.....but now i don't play with them and just infill every 2 weeks instead of taking them off...putting them on....etc....

definitely get a nail trainer...they are brill for practising on. xx

aww hun i can totally sympathise with you, only a few weeks ago i was in so much agony with my nails when i removed my enhancements, it turned out i had koilionchyis(sp) spoon shaped nails due to iron deficiency and then i got oncholysis on 4 nails too because of severe zinc defiency, i was soo gutted, cos my nails looked awful and were so sore, i decided to grin and bear it and not put any back on, i have lathered them in solar oil and though they still look short and awful to other poeple, to me the difference in 3 weeks is staggering i have only one nail with oncholyosis left just a slight bit on it and the pain has gone the nails have toughened up and the condition of them is soo improved, the splits that were right down my nails have almost grown right out, i loooove solar oil lol

hope you get some relief soon hun, i remember not being able to sleep the pain was so bad after taking them off, but within 2 days the pain had subsided, feel better soon hun xxxxx:hug:

I have been using Creative "Solar Oil" morning and night and it should be re-named 'miracle in a bottle'.

My nails arnt brilliant but after using it for 2 weeks I can see/feel the difference in strength (I have dry flakey nails). Use it even if in the beginning it doesnt feel like its doing anything...it will take time.

I think you can tell we arestudents by the state of our nails. Before this we (my classmates and I) all did the Man & Ped course. Everyone's nails were great. Not now!!!

I have holes and gouges in the nail plate and the free edge on two nails is just passed the lunula there is hardly anything to stick a tip on. I don't know if they will ever be the same again.

Good luck with the Solar Oil I've been practically bathing in it!
Jane x

I feel so much better now that I'm not on my own. All the other girls at college have lovely nails then theres me with mine.

I've taken the enhancement off the bad nail and i've put avoplex oil on it 4 times already today and it's stopped hurting already.

Latest posts

Back