Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
THIS WAS POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD THE OTHER DAY AND I THINK IT DESERVES SOME MORE DISCUSSION!

I had a lady who has been ringing me up all week changing her appointments.... today I have taken a day off to catch up with the house.. sort bills out.. go to the Dentist.. as much as I can cram in one day.. and then she wanted to come today! So, I had to go up there and when I got there... her nails were extremely badly bitten but she wanted French Polish. I told her that it wouldn't look right, and some of her nails were only half nails, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, I showed her on her worst two nails what the FP would look like... she ummed and ahhhed and told me how much she wanted it.. so I started to do it using the pink she had chosen... but then she wanted peach... so I removed it all again. Then she said she might like just polish, so I said OK, and showed her what that would look like. So she chose a dark polish. Then she wanted to see a light polish.... then said she wanted FP again, asking me what I thought. I told her why not have just a nice polish, then I would FP them when her nails were longer.

Not convinced, she asked Kim to come from the desk and asked her whether she should go for the FP. Kim, being polite... agreed with her and told her to go for it (client is always right must have been her motto :lol:).. so I started to do the FP again but then no, she didn't like it.

She left nearly 45 minutes later with a lovely dark polish and then asked me if there were any job vacancies :eek:.. she did admit to being a pain, and she's forgiven!

I had a sun-bed after that and am now back home cooking dinner.. so it was a welcome diversion after the mess this house is in!

I asked Cadence alex who did the original post if she had charged the client for all the re-polishes and she replied that she hadn't ... had not wanted the confrontation etc.

It struck me that so many when faced with a similar 'tricky' situation become lost for words and the client walks all over you. SO ... I thought ... maybe some of you would like to post about similar dilemmas that have happened to you, where you have lost out to the client who has walked all over you!! I will then help you, if you like, by writing an answer or reply you could have given to your client that would have saved all the hard feelings, avoided a confrontation and left YOU the WINNER.

As an example ... re the above situation that Cadence found herself in: a really simple one.

At the point where Mrs. X (the client) asked Cadence to change the polish colour ALL she had to say was, "Mrs X, I must make you aware at this point and I'm sure you will understand, that if you want me to remove and re-polish your nails there will be an additional charge of 5.00." (or whatever).

A simple but to the point statement which is neither confrontational or argumentative but professional. Mrs X can either say yes or no before any 'situation' arises and she is clear for the future that your time and the products must be paid for. No one gets angry or annoyed and the choice is hers to make. Plus it is subtly implied that if she does not agree to pay more , she would be being unreasonable.

Being ready with these answers is the key to being professional whilst educating your clients. You do not appear to be greedy but you do appear to be businesslike.

Take a look at this.

http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

If you want anymore, I can be your personal Nail Tech agony Aunt in this thread so if you care to, keep them coming and I'll give you my best shot..

No, I charged her what I would usually charge for a 15 minute service, even though it was really frustrating. I was walked all over, and was quite resentful at the time, however, I just accepted it as I tend to do.

I now realise that I have major confidence issues when it comes to services and clients and definitely need to become more assertive. Imagine if I had another client booked in even half an hour after that apointment began? She would have been waiting 15 minutes which would have been awful.

No, I charged her what I would usually charge for a 15 minute service, even though it was really frustrating. I was walked all over, and was quite resentful at the time, however, I just accepted it as I tend to do.

I now realise that I have major confidence issues when it comes to services and clients and definitely need to become more assertive. Imagine if I had another client booked in even half an hour after that appointment began? She would have been waiting 15 minutes which would have been awful.

It is absolutely wrong to ever keep a client that is on time waiting because another client is demanding a service she was not booked in for.

If this ever happened to me in the salon, I always told the client that I had another appointment in so many minutes and could only give her the time I had booked for her.

To be honest Cadence, I do not think you have confidence issues and I don't think you should label yourself that way or even think of yourself that way. The only issue you have is one of inexperience of dealing with these situations at the time they occur and if my example of what you could have said helps you for next time then GREAT.

You do not have to be assertive (which many use to mean be more bolshy and rude) you only have to state the simple facts. "Mrs X, I must make you aware at this point and I'm sure you will understand, that if you want me to remove and re-polish your nails there will be an additional charge of 5.00." (or whatever).

You don't have to be assertive to say that. Just smile sweetly and say it!! EASY.

What would YOU do if someone was ringing you up all week, changing their bookings and had been booked in FOUR different days... but different times.. according to their other messages they had to do today... finally deciding to book you on a day off?

What would YOU do if someone was ringing you up all week, changing their bookings and had been booked in FOUR different days... but different times.. according to their other messages they had to do today... finally deciding to book you on a day off?

I would have done what you did and gone in to take the appointment unless it was your regular day off every week, in which case, no reasonable client would expect you to do that.

But if you take random days off, then that is not giving (in my opinion) a good service to your clients. It is being irregular and does not inspire your clients to be regular either.

I have a question Geeg

Its not nessecerillay about nails,but its getting the clients to re book for regular tratments.
Why to day i had a new client for a full body massage.
However she did not reebook....now i tend to word it,WHEN would you like to re book ,as opposed to would you like to re book.

I suppose its a different scenario,as nails do need the up keep and home care is crucial.

But my question isgetting that client to ree book.....

BTW im asking this on behalf of my husband as well...LOL:green:

Dear Aunt Gigi :), I have a problem with one client regarding payment. I have been doing this client's nails since just after qualifying (she is an nno client), and at first I was charging her minimal prices for the usual reasons, just qualified and lower end product etc.

She has remained loyal to me and for that I am so grateful but...... now I have done my conversion to EzFlow, worked hard on my application and taken a few other classes to improve and be able to offer my clients the best service that I can. I'm still intent on training and progressing but of course as you know this costs a lot of money and time.

The thing is she expects the same prices as when i started but now as I'm using a high end product and especially when she wants colours etc. I have tried to tell her that now my costs are rising then the price of her enhancements have to also, I can never seem to word it right and end up doing them for the same price as before. It is annoying but my fault I know, I don't have this problem with my other clients, but just her as she's been with me right from the start. How would you say to her? Advice please? Thanks in advance :)

I have a question Geeg

Its not necessarily about nails,but its getting the clients to re book for regular treatments.
Why to day i had a new client for a full body massage.
However she did not reebook....now i tend to word it,WHEN would you like to re book ,as opposed to would you like to re book.

I suppose its a different scenario,as nails do need the up keep and home care is crucial.

But my question is getting that client to Re book.....

BTW I'm asking this on behalf of my husband as well...LOL:green:

If you ask "WHEN would you like to rebook" It not only sounds a bit 'pushy and agressive' but this also gives the client the option to say, "Oh, I don't have my diary on me, I'll give you a call." and they go off without the re-booking. But if some one said to me, "If you enjoyed your appointment today, would you like to make another booking now on a day that is convenient to you?" ... I would be far more inclined out of sheer politeness to make the booking then and there rather than let you think I had not enjoyed the treatment. It is a subtle approach rather than being so direct. These things do work as most people do not want to offend. The client could still say, "I don't have my diary with me I'll give you a call", but she/he is less likely to! Get what I mean?

Another approach that is good is to offer the client an incentive to make the booking that day ... say a 2.00 saving (NEVER use the word discount ... it is not professional to discount) on the treatment if she books and keeps the appointment she books with you today! That sort of regularity deserves a reward!!

This is so difficult to say as all situations have to be judged on their own merits.

I used to be the one who would gladly rebook clients even if they have changed a number of times. Now though, i will warn clients that i have many clients that book me 2 to 3 appointments in advance, so if they wish to change i may not be able to accommedate them. Then i will only rebook twice if they keep messing me about, then tell them i am fully book for at least three weeks. This normally works for me as they will end up paying out more as their nails break or look awful and normally costs the same as a new set. I have only had a client do this once, but she soon learnt.

Great thread Geeg.

Dear Aunt Gigi :), I have a problem with one client regarding payment. I have been doing this client's nails since just after qualifying (she is an nno client), and at first I was charging her minimal prices for the usual reasons, just qualified and lower end product etc.

She has remained loyal to me and for that I am so grateful but...... now I have done my conversion to EzFlow, worked hard on my application and taken a few other classes to improve and be able to offer my clients the best service that I can. I'm still intent on training and progressing but of course as you know this costs a lot of money and time.

The thing is she expects the same prices as when i started but now as I'm using a high end product and especially when she wants colours etc. I have tried to tell her that now my costs are rising then the price of her enhancements have to also, I can never seem to word it right and end up doing them for the same price as before. It is annoying but my fault I know, I don't have this problem with my other clients, but just her as she's been with me right from the start. How would you say to her? Advice please? Thanks in advance :)

I would be absolutely honest with her and say that you appreciate her loyalty and the help that she gave you when you started out but that now with your greater experience and extra training and new product, you're sure she will understand that your prices have to rise along with your advanced skill and experience.

Once again, you are subtly implying that if she doesn't understand, she would be being unreasonable. Most clients will be happy to concur and feel pretty shabby if they do not.

loving this....

ok..i have one...

this is what happened....

2 sisters...regular clients for about 7 months...always wanted me to get them in now !!...would ring at 9pm on a Sunday night !!...stopped coming for about 6 months....(both had babies) then came back to me...sister 1 came and had a full set of tip and overlay french....she was happy and left....sister 2 was due 3 days later...just before sister 2 came sister 1 rang but i couldn't take the call cos i was with another client.

sister 2 arrives and i told her that sister 1 had rang but i missed the call.....(they live togther)...sister 2 then tells me that sister 1 was ringing to TELL me to do sister 2's nail better than i did sister 1's.....i asked her what she meant and she said "my sister said her nails are to thick and not flat so was ringing to tell you to do my nails right"......

this is what i did....(think i could have handled it better)

I said in that case i am glad i missed the call as i wouldn't take kindly to being told how to do my job (i know this was wrong i was so angry i couldn't help it)...i told her i would ring sister 1 and ask that she comes to see my so i can see her nails again but am sure that her nails are as they should be...i also explained the difference in there nails....sister 1 tip and overlay and sister 2 had short NNO...so no apex was really required (i am presuming that when she said the nails were not flat she was referring to the apex)

sister 2 seemed fine and said she loved her NNO .... haven't heard from sister 1 although she is booked in next week for infill's.

what should i have done and what should i do when i see her.....and i would also like to address the ringing at all times problem.

At the point where Mrs. X (the client) asked Cadence to change the polish colour ALL she had to say was, "Mrs X, I must make you aware at this point and I'm sure you will understand, that if you want me to remove and re-polish your nails there will be an additional charge of 5.00." (or whatever).

A simple but to the point statement which is neither confrontational or argumentative but professional. Mrs X can either say yes or no before any 'situation' arises and she is clear for the future that your time and the products must be paid for. No one gets angry or annoyed and the choice is hers to make. Plus it is subtly implied that if she does not agree to pay more , she would be being unreasonable.
Take a look at this.

If you want anymore, I can be your personal Nail Tech agony Aunt in this thread so if you care to, keep them coming and I'll give you my best shot..
I have a couple of questions Gigi and thank you for offering your advice as there are many posts where geeks ask, "What should I have done"?

Firstly, the public will most often try to get something for nothing or for very little. When I first launched my nail business I did make the mistake of giving away too much for free or very little. Clients will often say, 'well that's not what my last tech charged' or 'oh my last tech did that for me for free' etc...... Caught off gaurd, I clam up and can't get the right words out. How best to handle this?

My other question, is clients cancelling at the last minute or forgetting appointments because they went out the night before and have overslept etc........ It irks me:irked: as precious time is lost plus loss of earnings. How does one get firm with the clients without being confrontational? Do you think us tech have a right to charge for missed appointments or ask for deposits to secure them?

I would be absolutely honest with her and say that you appreciate her loyalty and the help that she gave you when you started out but that now with your greater experience and extra training and new product, you're sure she will understand that your prices have to rise along with your advanced skill and experience.

Once again, you are subtly implying that if she doesn't understand, she would be being unreasonable. Most clients will be happy to concur and feel pretty shabby if they do not.

Thank you Gigi, I will do that, she is coming to me on Monday. :)

Hi Geeg,
Id like your advice on something if you dont mind,

I have a client whose nails I do, acrylic in natural. We used to be good friends but not really anymore. I only ever see her now when she wants her nails done. When I did her first set I charged her €10 less and I charge her €5 less for her re balances. I never charge her for breakages and I always fit her in when I can, even at short notice! But I want all that to change.
Ive done her nails about 4/5 times now, and to be honest I dont want to give her a discount anymore. Im wondering what I should say when I come to the end of her service? She always asks 'what do I owe you?' Do I just say 'its €X amount' and leave it at that? What if she says 'it was only €X last time'

Any wise words are appreciated.
Thanks

I have a couple of questions Gigi and thank you for offering your advice as there are many posts where geeks ask, "What should I have done"?

Firstly, the public will most often try to get something for nothing or for very little. When I first launched my nail business I did make the mistake of giving away too much for free or very little. Clients will often say, 'well that's not what my last tech charged' or 'oh my last tech did that for me for free' etc...... Caught off guard, I clam up and can't get the right words out. How best to handle this?

My other question, is clients cancelling at the last minute or forgetting appointments because they went out the night before and have overslept etc........ It irks me:irked: as precious time is lost plus loss of earnings. How does one get firm with the clients without being confrontational? Do you think us tech have a right to charge for missed appointments or ask for deposits to secure them?

These are great questions. As to the first question, 'well that's not what my last tech charged' or 'oh my last tech did that for me for free' etc...... Caught off guard, I clam up and can't get the right words out. How best to handle this?

I had a GREAT answer for this that literally left the client speechless. I used to look at them and just say (smiling sweetly), "Did she"? "I'm afraid I don't". The rest is up to them. As for being caught off guard, DON?T BE ... anticipate and be ready for these things. That is what this thread is all about.

As for Question number 2. How does one get firm with the clients without being confrontational? Do you think us tech have a right to charge for missed appointments or ask for deposits to secure them?

We do have the right to do it and I did used to do it. We had a small notice at the reception counter telling clients we charged for 'no shows'. I would mark on the client record card if they had been a 'No Show'. If they did book another appointment I would tell them at that appointment and before I started the treatment that there would be a missed appointment charge added to their final bill on that day. They then had the option to walk out. No one ever did as they were embarrassed, but some didn't return afterwards. At least I wasn't out any money and it was often a good way to get rid of a client who was only going to be a continual nuisance.

You have to decide what you want to do here. As for those who change appointments and rebook, That's life. We've all done it ourselves. Things happen and it is not always convenient to keep a pre-booked appointment. Reasonable notice should be given but even that is not always possible. If they are regular and re-book then I would not charge for the inconvenience ... we need to bend sometimes. If it is habitual, then make the client pay the price by not being so readily available .. they must come when it is convenient to you.

Hi Geeg,
Id like your advice on something if you don't mind,

I have a client whose nails I do, acrylic in natural. We used to be good friends but not really anymore. I only ever see her now when she wants her nails done. When I did her first set I charged her €10 less and I charge her €5 less for her re balances. I never charge her for breakages and I always fit her in when I can, even at short notice! But I want all that to change.
Ive done her nails about 4/5 times now, and to be honest I don't want to give her a discount anymore. I'm wondering what I should say when I come to the end of her service? She always asks 'what do I owe you?' Do I just say 'its €X amount' and leave it at that? What if she says 'it was only €X last time'

Any wise words are appreciated.
Thanks

The wisest words I can give you is NOT to wait until the end of the service to tell her it is now x amount. This is not fair. Tell her at the time she books that your price will be your normal salon price (use the example I gave to francesXXX) and then if she doesn't want to pay it, she can refuse the appointment there and then. You must be up front with folks as no one likes surprises and it is not fair when you have been letting someone pay different prices to then change the goal posts without letting them know in advance. It is not her fault that you have been treating her differently for so long. So it is you who must take the 'bull by the horns' and just simply tell her that all clients are now treated equally.

You have to take responsibility for the situation you are in now with this client.

2 sisters...regular clients for about 7 months...always wanted me to get them in now !!...would ring at 9pm on a Sunday night !!...stopped coming for about 6 months....(both had babies) then came back to me...sister 1 came and had a full set of tip and overlay french....she was happy and left....sister 2 was due 3 days later...just before sister 2 came sister 1 rang but i couldn't take the call cos i was with another client.

sister 2 arrives and i told her that sister 1 had rang but i missed the call.....(they live togther)...sister 2 then tells me that sister 1 was ringing to TELL me to do sister 2's nail better than i did sister 1's.....i asked her what she meant and she said "my sister said her nails are to thick and not flat so was ringing to tell you to do my nails right"......

this is what i did....(think i could have handled it better)

I said in that case i am glad i missed the call as i wouldn't take kindly to being told how to do my job (i know this was wrong i was so angry i couldn't help it)...i told her i would ring sister 1 and ask that she comes to see my so i can see her nails again but am sure that her nails are as they should be...i also explained the difference in there nails....sister 1 tip and overlay and sister 2 had short NNO...so no apex was really required (i am presuming that when she said the nails were not flat she was referring to the apex)

sister 2 seemed fine and said she loved her NNO .... haven't heard from sister 1 although she is booked in next week for infill's.

what should i have done and what should i do when i see her.....and i would also like to address the ringing at all times problem.

Firstly ... never get too angry or upset at what someone repeats to you! They seldom repeat things correctly and most often put words into people's mouths. Often they say what THEY think and put it in some other person's mouth!

I would've said, "I'll be happy to talk to your sister about her nails. Why not get her to give me a call on ..... so I can rectify anything she is not happy with at her next appointment." This gives you time to think about what you are going to say and you won't answer in anger.

If the sister has re-booked, she can't be that unhappy. When she arrives. Give her nails the 'once over' and ask her what changes she would like you to make so that she will be perfectly pleased with the result?

If she doesn't find something esthetically pleasing then the rebalance appointment is a great opportunity to get to know each others wants and needs ... it's all a getting to know each other process and it is no different with a new hairdresser is it? You can tell her this and make your usual charge. It is all about good communication and clients do not always communicate well what they desire. XX

Ringing at all times is the simplest thing. Just state what times you are available for calls and don't pick up the damn business phone at any other time. Clients can leave messages. You should have ONE LINE OR MOBILE for business purposes only or have all your clients' numbers so you just don't pick up out of hours and they can leave a message. If you let them use your personal cell phone then you are asking for out of hours calls.

Firstly ... never get too angry or upset at what someone repeats to you! They seldom repeat things correctly and most often put words into people's mouths. Often they say what THEY think and put it in some other person's mouth!

I would've said, "I'll be happy to talk to your sister about her nails. Why not get her to give me a call on ..... so I can rectify anything she is not happy with." This gives you time to think about what you are going to say and you won't answer in anger.

If the sister has re-booked, she can't be that unhappy. When she arrives. Give her nails the 'once over' and ask her what changes she would like you to make so that she will be perfectly pleased with the result?

If she doesn't find something esthetically pleasing then the rebalance appointment is a great opportunity to get to know each others wants and needs ... it's all a getting to know each other process and it is no different with a new hairdresser is it? You can tell her this and make your usual charge. It is all about good communication and clients do not always communicate well what they desire. XX

I knew as soon as it came out my mouth i shouldnt have said it.....no excuse.

thanks for the great advise Geeg....xx

You have to take responsibility for the situation you are in now with this client.

I accept that Geeg, you're absolutely right. Thanks for your advice.

:)OK ... taking abreak just now but will be back later on if you have any more. :)

Latest posts

Back