Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all .... I am sorry I did not reply yesterday to your questions; I was at airports and flying yesterday so no opportunity.

Thank you to the posters who have offered help.

Your first reply to the client was adequate and it should have been the end of the story. I would myself not have responded to the second letter other than to have re-sent the original along with the name and address of your insurers.

We all carry insurance and we should use their services; the first thing I would have done is to have contacted them for their advice.

The client is being unreasonable, has no leg to stand on and I would not continue to correspond with her. She can do all her corresponding with your insurance company, or trading standards if your insurance doesn't cover you for this type of situation.

Geeg, great thread btw.

I had a client last night, she turned up very late saying she was stuck in a queue, but I'm not sure I believed that.

after great discussion as to what she wanted, and going by the shape of her nails, I decided she would like white tips with clear acrylics Nsi. She was chatty and was happy with her treatment when she left. Half an hour later she phoned me to say one had come off. She said she wanted a refund ! I said come back in the morning and I would repair it for free. This morning early I get a text from her saying she won't be needing the free repair as 3 nails have now come off. I know she went shopping after her appointment late last night. She said as she's busy over the weekend, she won't have time for the repair and wants a refund as she hadn't "gotton the product she wanted".
She said the service was lovely, but wants a refund and she will be a loyal customer just for manicures in the future.!

I replied saying I never had a customer who's nails had fallen off a couple of hours after the service. We had a long discussion as what to have and you went out the door happy afterwards. Nails don't just fall off, you knocked them off. I have offered a free repair which you refuse, i dont give refunds as time and products have been spent, so there's nothing more I can do. Sorry.

She gave a long reply about how I was a unique company and she's disappointed, and wants to continue being a customer etc. She's going to report me to trading standards.

I replied that as I'm insured trading standards won't help. And it's quite possible that her nails are rejecting the products.

Do you think I did the right thing, maybe I was a bit too harsh ?

I could see this girl coming in the way she was, and I refuse to be trampled on. And I certainly don't want her as a regular.

What an awful situation. Like others pointed out in her letter to you she suggested good practice to take the client info home so how did she know you already didn't take them home had you not pointed this out in your first letter she claimed not to receive.

1-how do you know she has not went to someone who doesn't know how to remove shellac and was trying to remove it correctly?
2-she hasn't answered what it was she was unhappy with about your shellac application. Surely if she was unhappy with it she wouldn't have repeated her business to you?
3- she spent £20 for shellac nails for 2-3weeks for which she was very happy with. I think she thinks she has missed out on her removal and you have robbed her of a fiver or whatever it would be to remove the shellac had she just come in and wanted it renewed and replaced. She seems to contradict herself in her first letter or is that just me?

So here is what I would say to her. (Ok I wouldn't say it to her lol but here is what I would like to say to her)
Dear client
Please find enclosed the £1.20 for your parking and as a gesture of good will the cost of the shellac removal at £5.00. Please find enclosed a copy of miss tappers taxi bill of £8.00 which it cost her to get to the salon to let you know I wouldn't make your appointment. Therefore you owe me £1.80)

Well that was just for a bit light hearted relief to entertain you till Geeg comes along with her response but to be honest I think what you have said has been professional and courteousness and I think this woman is taking a liberty. I would really want a full explanation of what was wrong with her nails. Best of luck I hope you get sorted

What an awful situation. Like others pointed out in her letter to you she suggested good practice to take the client info home so how did she know you already didn't take them home had you not pointed this out in your first letter she claimed not to receive.

1-how do you know she has not went to someone who doesn't know how to remove shellac and was trying to remove it correctly?
2-she hasn't answered what it was she was unhappy with about your shellac application. Surely if she was unhappy with it she wouldn't have repeated her business to you?
3- she spent £20 for shellac nails for 2-3weeks for which she was very happy with. I think she thinks she has missed out on her removal and you have robbed her of a fiver or whatever it would be to remove the shellac had she just come in and wanted it renewed and replaced. She seems to contradict herself in her first letter or is that just me?

So here is what I would say to her. (Ok I wouldn't say it to her lol but here is what I would like to say to her)
Dear client
Please find enclosed the £1.20 for your parking and as a gesture of good will the cost of the shellac removal at £5.00. Please find enclosed a copy of miss tappers taxi bill of £8.00 which it cost her to get to the salon to let you know I wouldn't make your appointment. Therefore you owe me £1.80)

Well that was just for a bit light hearted relief to entertain you till Geeg comes along with her response but to be honest I think what you have said has been professional and courteousness and I think this woman is taking a liberty. I would really want a full explanation of what was wrong with her nails. Best of luck I hope you get sorted

You wishful response has made me laugh haha.

In regards to the op for this issue, you have handled this very well given your not well and obviously do not need this at this time, so to stay uber professional is a credit to how well you do business, and you will go far!

I would have replied once again like you have with a copy of the letter, and would have had to fit in, that I was confused by how she was standing around waiting for you, when she stated in her first correspondence that she was greeted on arrival, also as she claimed not to have had your response yet knows you were unable to access the salon for your bookings and contact details....which you stated in your letter?!?!

But I would no longer reply, I would have maybe called her to discuss over the phone, but your probably better to have done it this was with this customer to be honest. Your good will gesture is more than adequate to apologise for not being able to do her nails that 1 time. If you receive anything further, I would send a final response which would be both letters, and something like this

Dear.....

I am terribly sorry things have turned out this way, I apologise for the unforeseen circumstances that happened dated xxx which have resulted in yourself requesting a refund for services you were happy with. I have enclosed my last 2 letters for you.

This will be my last response to you in regards to this issue. As previously explained, I was unable to contact you in regards to your appointment and have explained in great detail why on this occasion. I did however arrange for someone to wait and let my customers know the bad news on their arrival, I have advised the reasons in which I will not be refunding you, and have seeked professional advise in regards to your case, as a good will I offered 20% off your next visit, and the removal as previously explained is complimentary with all my shellac applications.

Kindest regards

name

Geeg, great thread btw.

I had a client last night, she turned up very late saying she was stuck in a queue, but I'm not sure I believed that.

after great discussion as to what she wanted, and going by the shape of her nails, I decided she would like white tips with clear acrylics Nsi. She was chatty and was happy with her treatment when she left. Half an hour later she phoned me to say one had come off. She said she wanted a refund ! I said come back in the morning and I would repair it for free. This morning early I get a text from her saying she won't be needing the free repair as 3 nails have now come off. I know she went shopping after her appointment late last night. She said as she's busy over the weekend, she won't have time for the repair and wants a refund as she hadn't "gotton the product she wanted".
She said the service was lovely, but wants a refund and she will be a loyal customer just for manicures in the future.!

I replied saying I never had a customer who's nails had fallen off a couple of hours after the service. We had a long discussion as what to have and you went out the door happy afterwards. Nails don't just fall off, you knocked them off. I have offered a free repair which you refuse, i dont give refunds as time and products have been spent, so there's nothing more I can do. Sorry.

She gave a long reply about how I was a unique company and she's disappointed, and wants to continue being a customer etc. She's going to report me to trading standards.

I replied that as I'm insured trading standards won't help. And it's quite possible that her nails are rejecting the products.

I could see this girl coming in the way she was, and I refuse to be trampled on. And I certainly don't want her as a regular.

You may have been a little harsh meaning she now has her back up and will be more adamant in getting her refund or alternatively bad mouth you :(

I agree however that nails don't just pop off, one maybe but 3 in a night?? She prob did too much and maybe too long for her to get used too if she keeps knocking them :( your first response was perfect, friendly and offered to repair free of charge. After the second response I would have said I was unable to discuss refunds without seeing them and asked her to come to the salon, you understand she is busy but without seeing what's happened you cannot comment on the work and its highly unlikely for 3 nails to just pop off. If she then said unable to return, apologise and offer a good will on her next set. But as you are unable to see what she is telling you, you are unable to act accordingly.

I have had one lady claim I somehow failed to wash the colour out of her hair which bleached her jacket as she got wet in the rain and wanted her jacket paid for (she came on a groupon deal meaning she only paid 23 pound for her colour cut and cond treatment. I never respond on text on mail stating I will not do this that or the other, I asked her to come in and show me the jacket, on the phone I asked what colour it had gone, checked what I used on her hair, and knew straight away, this was nothing I did but did not want to get into that on the phone, I asked her to come in, so I could check what's happened and we can discuss and go from there, once in I listened and then proceeded to explain why the jacket would not have gone lighter from her hair given its cream and the colour used was a deposit only brown, meaning it would have gone brown, it was also washed and rinsed all in all 6 times meaning no chance of colour left in the hair and no other chemicals used on her hair. She was still adamant so I offered to test in a hidden spot to prove the colour would go brown and everything else would do nothing, she refused, so at this I offered a good will gesture but did not pay for her new winter jacket, as this one was now ruined (that she was wearing still)

You may have been a little harsh meaning she now has her back up and will be more adamant in getting her refund or alternatively bad mouth you :(

I agree however that nails don't just pop off, one maybe but 3 in a night?? She prob did too much and maybe too long for her to get used too if she keeps knocking them :( your first response was perfect, friendly and offered to repair free of charge. After the second response I would have said I was unable to discuss refunds without seeing them and asked her to come to the salon, you understand she is busy but without seeing what's happened you cannot comment on the work and its highly unlikely for 3 nails to just pop off. If she then said unable to return, apologise and offer a good will on her next set. But as you are unable to see what she is telling you, you are unable to act accordingly.

I have had one lady claim I somehow failed to wash the colour out of her hair which bleached her jacket as she got wet in the rain and wanted her jacket paid for (she came on a groupon deal meaning she only paid 23 pound for her colour cut and cond treatment. I never respond on text on mail stating I will not do this that or the other, I asked her to come in and show me the jacket, on the phone I asked what colour it had gone, checked what I used on her hair, and knew straight away, this was nothing I did but did not want to get into that on the phone, I asked her to come in, so I could check what's happened and we can discuss and go from there, once in I listened and then proceeded to explain why the jacket would not have gone lighter from her hair given its cream and the colour used was a deposit only brown, meaning it would have gone brown, it was also washed and rinsed all in all 6 times meaning no chance of colour left in the hair and no other chemicals used on her hair. She was still adamant so I offered to test in a hidden spot to prove the colour would go brown and everything else would do nothing, she refused, so at this I offered a good will gesture but did not pay for her new winter jacket, as this one was now ruined (that she was wearing still)

Thanks nic, I think you're right I should have said I can't comment unless I see them. I think she's the sort that would just keep messing me about unless I nip her in the bud... so to speak. The thing is, she could easily pull them off/make them even worse if I said I wanted to see them, blaming me for the damage. If she contacts me again I will ask to see them, but I don't want her taking the p further ! Always hard to know what to do. I think writing up a policy on cancellations/no shows/broken nails, would be a good idea.

Thanks nic, I think you're right I should have said I can't comment unless I see them. I think she's the sort that would just keep messing me about unless I nip her in the bud... so to speak. The thing is, she could easily pull them off/make them even worse if I said I wanted to see them, blaming me for the damage. If she contacts me again I will ask to see them, but I don't want her taking the p further ! Always hard to know what to do. I think writing up a policy on cancellations/no shows/broken nails, would be a good idea.

True she could peal them off, that would be painful though, could have maybe asked for a pic? I'm just thinking as everything on text always sounds harsh, most of the time anyway lol. You do need to be assertive and I'm not being taken for a fool sounding though lol.

Yer write up a policy x

I have another client who always wants to turn up earlier than her stated appointment. I have got round this easily as I now tell her she can have 10.30am appoints. If she turned up earlier than this, she risks getting a parking ticket as you can't park on the road earlier than 10.30am.:lol:

I have another client who always wants to turn up earlier than her stated appointment. I have got round this easily as I now tell her she can have 10.30am appoints. If she turned up earlier than this, she risks getting a parking ticket as you can't park on the road earlier than 10.30am.:lol:

Lol, but why does it bother you if she's early?

You wishful response has made me laugh haha.

In regards to the op for this issue, you have handled this very well given your not well and obviously do not need this at this time, so to stay uber professional is a credit to how well you do business, and you will go far!

I would have replied once again like you have with a copy of the letter, and would have had to fit in, that I was confused by how she was standing around waiting for you, when she stated in her first correspondence that she was greeted on arrival, also as she claimed not to have had your response yet knows you were unable to access the salon for your bookings and contact details....which you stated in your letter?!?!

But I would no longer reply, I would have maybe called her to discuss over the phone, but your probably better to have done it this was with this customer to be honest. Your good will gesture is more than adequate to apologise for not being able to do her nails that 1 time. If you receive anything further, I would send a final response which would be both letters, and something like this

Dear.....

I am terribly sorry things have turned out this way, I apologise for the unforeseen circumstances that happened dated xxx which have resulted in yourself requesting a refund for services you were happy with. I have enclosed my last 2 letters for you.

This will be my last response to you in regards to this issue. As previously explained, I was unable to contact you in regards to your appointment and have explained in great detail why on this occasion. I did however arrange for someone to wait and let my customers know the bad news on their arrival, I have advised the reasons in which I will not be refunding you, and have seeked professional advise in regards to your case, as a good will I offered 20% off your next visit, and the removal as previously explained is complimentary with all my shellac applications.

Kindest regards

name

Your advice is exactly the sort of thing the poster should NOT do.

NEVER get into a written exchange with a client. Don't give your game away. Let your insurers deal with it or in the absolute unlikely worst case scenario .... A solicitor, if she takes it that far ... Otherwise do nothing at all.

Geeg, great thread btw.

I think it would be wise to state on your client record card (which the client signs as having read) that you do not offer free repairs or accept any liability for damage done to nails after the client has left the salon.

I tell every new client that I expect no problems resulting from my workmanship and that if they damage their nails I will repair for a charge. Once stated, clients KNOW they cannot get away with any shenanigans !!

Your advice is exactly the sort of thing the poster should NOT do.

NEVER get into a written exchange with a client. Don't give your game away. Let your insurers deal with it or in the absolute unlikely worst case scenario .... A solicitor, if she takes it that far ... Otherwise do nothing at all.

Oh really?!? Working in the hr team dealing with high profile complaints for a huge monopoly company did me no good for my complaint dealing then :(

Like I said in one of my other posts, I prefer to speak face to face if ever I have a complaint in our industry, but re-sending your original letter with your insurers details for 20 pound, my excess is 50 alone :( so personally if she'd had have come back a 3rd time I'd have replied stating that I will no longer be responding for the following reasons, so she cannot then have a further complaint stating you have not dealt with her situation and have failed to respond to the last x amount of letters and calls she may do? She could get infuriated by being ignored could she not?

I was just thinking how she could deal with it now, if she hears anything further, rather than what she should have done, as you answered that :)

Ignore me then poster xx

Oh really?!? Working in the hr team dealing with high profile complaints for a huge monopoly company did me no good for my complaint dealing then :(

Like I said in one of my other posts, I prefer to speak face to face if ever I have a complaint in our industry, but re-sending your original letter with your insurers details for 20 pound, my excess is 50 alone :( so personally if she'd had have come back a 3rd time I'd have replied stating that I will no longer be responding for the following reasons, so she cannot then have a further complaint stating you have not dealt with her situation and have failed to respond to the last x amount of letters and calls she may do? She could get infuriated by being ignored could she not?

I was just thinking how she could deal with it now, if she hears anything further, rather than what she should have done, as you answered that :)

Ignore me then poster xx

The OP is not dealing with a high profile complaint (whatever that is). She is dealing with an unreasonable client.

I think the first letter dealt with the customer admirably. The 2nd letter reiterated the first which the client said she never received. There should not be a third, other than to send her insurers details and tell the client that all future communication should now be with them. NO Prolonged communication ... Strictly business now. The poster is not an 'official' dealer with complaints. She needs to now step away.

The OP is not dealing with a high profile complaint (whatever that is). She is dealing with an unreasonable client.

I think the first letter dealt with the customer admirably. The 2nd letter reiterated the first which the client said she never received. There should not be a third, other than to send her insurers details and tell the client that all future communication should now be with them. NO Prolonged communication ... Strictly business now. The poster is not an 'official' dealer with complaints. She needs to now step away.

Ahhhh true, thats what i meant, i obv didnt put it across very well :) note to self ensure reads right when replying x

Great thread by the way :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Lol, but why does it bother you if she's early?

Because it's just cheeky, and some people (like her) needs to be kept in line, otherwise they think they can come when ever they like !

I think it would be wise to state on your client record card (which the client signs as having read) that you do not offer free repairs or accept any liability for damage done to nails after the client has left the salon.

I tell every new client that I expect no problems resulting from my workmanship and that if they damage their nails I will repair for a charge. Once stated, clients KNOW they cannot get away with any shenanigans !!

Thanks Geeg, will be adding it to my client record/consultation sheet today.

Because it's just cheeky, and some people (like her) needs to be kept in line, otherwise they think they can come when ever they like !

I prefer early to late customers personally, as late ones throw me out of sync then your always trying to catch back up but not rushing. I have a lady who books in and sometimes comes half hour early, if I'm free we get her started if not she's happy to wait, saves her wondering round the town for half hour. But I suppose if she was one of the ones that stemmed huffy even though your not late, then I'd have to recommend she come on time save waiting around.

I prefer early to late customers personally, as late ones throw me out of sync then your always trying to catch back up but not rushing. I have a lady who books in and sometimes comes half hour early, if I'm free we get her started if not she's happy to wait, saves her wondering round the town for half hour. But I suppose if she was one of the ones that stemmed huffy even though your not late, then I'd have to recommend she come on time save waiting around.

Coming early is the client's choice ! Of course they know they are going to have to wait.

One thing I will never do ... Is to make a client who is on time wait for a previous client who was late. I tell them how much time I have for them and that is all they are getting. They have to suck it up I'm afraid. They are seldom late again. You just have to bring naughty clients into line.

Just found this topic, and i wondered if you could help me.

Last Friday i did a set of shellac & additives on a new client nails, her nails were good length, i capped all layers, done everything like i always do & prep correctly.
However i started extra factory work from Sunday as i am struggling with money, with the beauty side being quite ( I'm mobile)

To explain from the start,I went to my regular clients house (She's my aunties step daughter) on the 27th Sept, did gel enhancements and shellac with additives, they looked stunning. A couple of days later she said her friend who she works with wanted her's done, i said alright and she said i can go to her house and work on her friends nails there, guess they wanted to catch up.
I booked her in the for Friday 4th, went over and she text to say she was running late, only about 15 mins, anyhow she wanted them on her natural nails, they were a good enough length so i went ahead and done them.

Like i said i prep the nail plate, then started on the shellac and additives, she was pleased an paid, it was only £16, i was offering 20% off this month because i had been quiet.

I went home then and went about my evening etc, i started extra work in a factory Sunday & Monday, when i came out Monday for break, i checked my phone and had a text, she basically said that Friday evening two started to peel on the edge, and said she had them done to go out but had to paint polish over them because she never had time or money to get them done again?
I asked if she had been in work or what she's been using to clean with and if she was using any medication. To double check.
She said she went to work Saturday but two had already started to peel Friday. And apparently two others done the same the next day, she said she hadn't done any cleaning.

I know she's a cleaner in a care home, they sanitize their hands, wear tight gloves and obviously using chemicals, how they use them and how much they sanitize i won't really know, but i know this as the regular client has the same job.

I thought because i had been working since last Wednesday and doing nails and starting this factory work, i thought save any hassle i would offer to do them free, she then contacts me two days later saying thanks for the offer but her husband isn't happy that she wasted £16 on her nails in the first place & that she wants her money back...

My theory is " If i was to buy a product from a store that broke the same day, i would contact the store or go back?" She contacted me 3 days after this happened. As i have re-read the texts, it seems strange now, plus she had gone to work, so god knows what she had been messing with?

Can someone help me? I don't have money to go giving it back, plus if i did that i wouldn't be making profit, so i am determined not to give any money back! I just have no idea how to reply back to that.

I don't think you should be refunding the lady at all-did you physically SEE evidence of her nails peeling?

She went to work, a place you KNOW she wears gloves AND sanitizes, AND cleans....clearly she hasn't maintained her nails, not followed your advice, and still got her nails done knowing the next day she would be doing all the things that cause nails to lift. Absolutely if you are at fault, poor prep, poor product ect then you should at least offer to look at them and conclude from their what is best to do, offer repair either for a small fee or for free.

X

Latest posts

Back