Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like she's pulling a fast one. If her husband wasn't happy with her spending £16 on nails it's her problem! Not yours!!! Tell her your happy to repair if that's what you want to do but don't give her any money back! X

I don't think you should be refunding the lady at all-did you physically SEE evidence of her nails peeling?

She went to work, a place you KNOW she wears gloves AND sanitizes, AND cleans....clearly she hasn't maintained her nails, not followed your advice, and still got her nails done knowing the next day she would be doing all the things that cause nails to lift. Absolutely if you are at fault, poor prep, poor product ect then you should at least offer to look at them and conclude from their what is best to do, offer repair either for a small fee or for free.

X

I was waiting on her reply before i asked to see a photo. I will text her and ask her to send me a photo, i feel cheeky asking for a photo after offering her a free set, i was so shattered from my 9hr shift, i wasn't concentrating on the conversation properly, should of asked to see a photo first off.

It sounds like she's pulling a fast one. If her husband wasn't happy with her spending £16 on nails it's her problem! Not yours!!! Tell her your happy to repair if that's what you want to do but don't give her any money back! X

Yea, i agree. I said i would replace a free set. Nothing more i can do!

I don't know if you give out aftercare ... If not you should do ... It clearly should state on your aftercare that refunds are not given, and that unless you see with your own eyes the evidence of any complaint, immediately the client has a complaint there will be no re-do either. All this could have been avoided if the client had known from the start. Hospital chemicals are a known killer of nail enhancement coatings of all types. Did she purchase Solar Oil and use it? No? Well Solar oil is a vital part of home care ... No use it- no refund. All these things should be clearly understood by the client before she leaves your table.

I don't know if you give out aftercare ... If not you should do ... It clearly should state on your aftercare that refunds are not given, and that unless you see with your own eyes the evidence of any complaint, immediately the client has a complaint there will be no re-do either. All this could have been avoided if the client had known from the start. Hospital chemicals are a known killer of nail enhancement coatings of all types. Did she purchase Solar Oil and use it? No? Well Solar oil is a vital part of home care ... No use it- no refund. All these things should be clearly understood by the client before she leaves your table.

Thank you Geeg, lesson learnt, i explain to everyone about hospital chemicals after reading a few posts but I've made everything more clear in writing for them for any mishaps that may occur next time x

I am still trying to "get over" a bad experience I had with a customer the other day. I had run a coupon deal over the internet and have received quite a lot of customers coming to me who bought the deal. I don't make money off the deal, barely enough to cover product costs, and it's been a stressful experience so I don't think I will be doing it again.

The other day a woman I had to reschedule because of bad winter weather and our salon heat going called the salon to ask for directions to me after already being 15 minutes late for a Saturday appointment. I am usually booked back to back with appointments and hers was for a manicure-pedicure so I proceeded to inform her that she would have to reschedule because she's so late and I won't have time to do her service. She immediately became angry and demanding and told me she will not be rescheduling because she had already been rescheduled (not my fault for winter weather and salon losing heat) and that she at least wants the manicure and wants to be rescheduled for the pedicure. Well, normally I don't do that, so I told her I would go ahead. Then she demands that I stay on the phone with her and guide her, turn by turn, with directions to get to the salon. Very offensive because she's ordering me around like I'm a servant.

She gets to the salon and comes to my room and sits down and proceeds to order me around in my room. She orders me to turn down the volume on a TV episode playing on my computer. I'm biting my tongue and trying really hard to be calm and just take her abuse. She asks me what service we'll be doing and I go with what she said over the phone and said "why don't we do your fingernails?" as a question to see if she'd be okay with that still and she said okay. I use my computer to redeem her coupon deal, then she tells me she wants me to write down on a piece of paper that I will honor the pedicure she won't be getting today (because she showed up too late to do her full service). Again, being very demanding and rude in her behavior and how she talks to me. I told her I would send her an email since I don't keep paper and pen handy, I do everything by computer.

She chooses her gel polish color and then as I am getting it out of my cabinet she says that she thinks it's very rude of me to have a TV episode playing on my computer (I either play TV or music for clients as background noise and entertainment, not for me) and she wants me to turn it off. She's ordering me to do it, not asking. That's when I had had enough. I told her I didn't like the way she has been speaking to me and that I wanted her to leave because I will not be doing her nails.

Well, she blew up on me completely then. She demanded that I do her nails or give her the money she paid for the coupon deal. I told her she'd have to go through the online company that ran the deal, they were the ones she paid, I simply get a percentage from them. Nope, she sat in the chair and yelled at me, telling me that she thought I was the most demanding and rude nail tech she's ever met in all her years. She told me that I was demanding because I ask clients to bring their sandals or flip flops (all I do is remind people to bring their flip flops, it's not an order) if they are getting a pedicure and to make sure not to shave their legs 24 hours before getting a pedicure (to avoid bacteria entering the body through micro nicks caused by razors). It was surreal. Like watching an animal go crazy at the zoo except you don't have the benefit of bars between you and the crazy animal.

I was afraid to leave my room for fear she would throw my things around or steal something so I had to call my own salon to get someone out from the floor to come help me. After trying to talk to her, reason with her, explain my methods, explain where to get her money from, etc., I gave up and paid her her money even though I shouldn't be refunding her money. Deep down I wanted to call the cops because she was trespassing at that point when she wouldn't leave but I gave up. I just wanted her to leave, I was willing to pay the money she wanted to get her the heck out of my room and out of my life.

I've had several people's opinions about this episode. One was that I should have just gone ahead and done her nails. However, as abusive as she was being, and the time it would have taken to do her nails, it didn't seem worth it. Besides, I feel better about myself for standing up for my right to be treated with respect than to eat sh*t and take her abuse one more minute.

Another opinion was that I should have gone ahead and called the cops. Again, I think it was worth just giving her the money she paid for her coupon deal. Sometimes cops take a while to show up. It may have shown her not to do what she did in the future, but I wanted her gone as soon as possible. I believe paying her off made the situation end sooner than calling the cops would have, even though I had every right to call the cops on her.

I don't think I deserve to be treated like crap because someone had to reschedule a nail appointment. Bad winter weather and the salon losing heat is a valid reason for rescheduling. Just because it made some nitwit miss out on having her nails done for her 20th anniversary is not my problem nor should I be abused over it. Plus, I send out emails to every single new client each week with very detailed instructions on how to find my salon, including a link to online maps to help navigate. This woman was well into her forties or early fifties and should know better to either leave the house early if going someplace you've never been to give yourself extra commuting time, or make darn sure you know where you're going and how to get there. Then, once you are late, it's your fault, not mine and I don't deserve your abuse for your mistakes.

In the end, after this incident, I think I will just deny service the moment someone is being abusive in the beginning. Once she got abusive with me and treated me like a servant on the phone, demanding I stay on the phone with her (not asking) and telling me to give her turn by turn directions, I should have told her that she was being abusive and to get a refund for her coupon and never darken my door.

I have great ratings and feedback from these coupon customers and only a few crazy clients that just cannot be satisfied no matter how hard you try. Some people are just miserable and seem to want to stay that way. This woman was the craziest yet. I certainly hope that when I never run a coupon campaign again that it will help take care of the crazy customer issue, but there will always be someone that you just cannot seem to communicate with no matter how hard you try. I like to think I give good customer service, but I draw the line at being outright abused by someone. No one deserves that. I am not a servant.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Bluesmith I have to say (and this is my opinion only) that for starters I don't think you should be watching tele on your laptop while performing a treatment. As abusive as she was, I would have just stood my ground with getting the refund from the company and not you. Everyone knows that...you will have to explain the situation to them in the hope they will refund you and at least you can redeem it.
As for telling you to stay on the phone..I would have said oh im very sorry but there is a client here that needs my attention. If you are not here in 15mins I will call you back...puts you in control then and a little white lie never hurt anyone x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Bluesmith5 I really do feel for you ... What a horrible situation to find yourself I and I can see why you knuckled under just to get rid of the monstrous person .... Very tempting.

There is no reason anyone in any similar situation has to take abuse after abuse and I'm not surprised you snapped.

I would like to think I would have won out over this person by not refunding a penny and picking up the phone to call the police. I hate scenes and try to avoid them at all costs by remaining calm and not raising my voice, which you obviously did admirably for some time.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again with anyone else. These 'group deals' seem to attract the worst type of people into your business and they are just not worth it. They don't build your future business by any significant percentage, and you end up working like a monkey for 'peanuts' while they find the next group deal To go to.

As for the TV if a customer requested it off in a pleasant manner that would be no problem. But I can see in your situation it was 'just another thing' .... I'm sure you do not watch it yourself while working! Lol

How awful for you bluesmith5. It's such a horrible situation to be put in where you feel helpless to do the right thing. I've been in a very similar situation before when I worked in a spa.

I had a lady in for a full body chakra stone massage (80mins) she turned up 25mins late. She has just had a facial with another therapist so assumed she had forgotten. When she came strolling up the stairs I made a joke an said 'oh did you forget your appointment' she replied with a very curt 'no' an said she had just popped back to her room. (The row were 5mins away) anyway I took her through to the treatment room and explained we have back to back appointments and that unfortunately I would have to finish her treatment at the scheduled time. She was really pissed off about this so when I tried to explain the treatment and do the consultation she told me to 'just get on with it' it all really went downhill from there. The pressure was to firm, then to light, the music was to loud, she didn't like the music. She then asked me very rudely if I was qualified to do this treatment as it didn't 'feel' right or like she had had in the past (I'm fully qualified and have been in the industry 8 years) at this point I was really biting my tongue and wanted to tell her to p*** off!!! I continued to be professional and asked her if she would prefer a different treatment as she didn't seem to be enjoying this one? She replied with a very patronising 'no' and I carried on. When I asked her to turn over and was just about to start the front of the body she sat up on her elbows and said with a smirk on her face 'is it suppose to be your day off or something?' Well I just snapped. I covered her back up and told her to please get dressed as I didn't like the way she was talking to me and would not be performing her treatment anymore. As I went to leave the room she must of realised what a bitch she had been and grabbed my arm and started apologising.

Imust say I think you did the right thing by refusing to carry on the service and did this is a dignified way. It's just such a shame that you have lost out on money and time to this horrid woman. No one deserves to be spoken to like this. I wish I would have stopped the treatment earlier than I did rather than being verbally abused for 45mins! In a way I'm glad this happened to me as it taught me that you can stand up for yourself if you are put in an impossible situation and just to remain as professional as possible. Just because you are being paid for a service does not mean you can be spoken to like this! Hope you have recovered from this ordeal, and have at least learned something from the situation :) xxx

Bluesmith I have to say (and this is my opinion only) that for starters I don't think you should be watching tele on your laptop while performing a treatment. As abusive as she was, I would have just stood my ground with getting the refund from the company and not you. Everyone knows that...you will have to explain the situation to them in the hope they will refund you and at least you can redeem it.
As for telling you to stay on the phone..I would have said oh im very sorry but there is a client here that needs my attention. If you are not here in 15mins I will call you back...puts you in control then and a little white lie never hurt anyone x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't actually watch television on my laptop, it's angled for my clients to watch, i offer them the option of TV or music... I am never paying attention to the TV while working on people. She just wanted to keep ordering me around like a servant. No matter how I look at it, after it's happened, I wished I could have just told her she was being abusive while on the phone and to not bother coming in for her service, especially since she was already going on 20 minutes late at that point. :mad: :rolleyes:

Good idea with the phone...it's amazing how we get ourselves into these situations and after thinking about it afterward we just want to slap ourselves upside the head for "not thinking" in the moment. I think when we get angry and offended we're full of our emotions and bruised ego so we don't think straight at all "in the moment." :eek: Ugh! I hate this part of the job!

Bluesmith5 I really do feel for you ... What a horrible situation to find yourself I and I can see why you knuckled under just to get rid of the monstrous person .... Very tempting.

There is no reason anyone in any similar situation has to take abuse after abuse and I'm not surprised you snapped.

I would like to think I would have won out over this person by not refunding a penny and picking up the phone to call the police. I hate scenes and try to avoid them at all costs by remaining calm and not raising my voice, which you obviously did admirably for some time.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again with anyone else. These 'group deals' seem to attract the worst type of people into your business and they are just not worth it. They don't build your future business by any significant percentage, and you end up working like a monkey for 'peanuts' while they find the next group deal To go to.

As for the TV if a customer requested it off in a pleasant manner that would be no problem. But I can see in your situation it was 'just another thing' .... I'm sure you do not watch it yourself while working! Lol

I totally agree, these coupon deals are just awful. I, of course, know my stats and my costs and I basically work for about $2 an hour but I'm working 10 hour days and quite a few of these clients demand more for free or tell me I'm too expensive. So I'm working my butt off for people who will never come back, using up my product, and some don't tip, of course, or will under-tip so I don't make much to live on. It's been awful. Very few are regulars.

I don't watch TV but I offer TV episodes or music as background noise so the room isn't "awkwardly quiet." I find clients are more relaxed when they have something else to focus on. Plus, this was just something this woman found to b*tch about and try to dominate me. I think she was trying to tick me off just so she could get her money back. Frankly, I don't care about giving her a refund. In the end, it's just money, and I can earn it back working on people who have the sense to appreciate me and what I do and behave with civility. It was worth the $$ to see her leave my room and still not get her stupid nails done!! :biggrin:

How awful for you bluesmith5. It's such a horrible situation to be put in where you feel helpless to do the right thing. I've been in a very similar situation before when I worked in a spa...

...No one deserves to be spoken to like this. I wish I would have stopped the treatment earlier than I did rather than being verbally abused for 45mins! In a way I'm glad this happened to me as it taught me that you can stand up for yourself if you are put in an impossible situation and just to remain as professional as possible. Just because you are being paid for a service does not mean you can be spoken to like this! Hope you have recovered from this ordeal, and have at least learned something from the situation :) xxx

I hear you! I think you handled yourself well. It's awful because we really do want to provide a great service and earn our income doing what we love. It's too bad that miserable people ruin that. They have no idea what they are doing or how they are behaving has such a lingering affect. I am not upset anymore but I still find myself thinking about the incident from the other day and I hate that I am probably thinking about her and how it still makes me feel a little "icky" like there's still a negative residue on me and she probably is going around ticking other people off not giving me another thought. Ugh!!

I feel good about standing up for myself, even though she really blew her stack when I refused to do her nails. I still feel good about taking a stand. I deserve to be treated with respect and not spoken to like a servant or like I'm scum on the bottom of someone's shoe. (As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even talk to a servant the way she spoke to me. :eek: ) No matter how irritable they are or upset with something else in their lives or whatever reason they have it is not okay to treat others like crap.

I'm just sorry we in the service industry have to deal with things like this. I think you handled your situation well. We do have our limits, don't we? :irked:

I've learned I'm tougher than I thought I was, even under pressure. In the future I will handle the situation more forthrightly from the start. No one is allowed in my room in a ranting, disrespectful state like this woman. In a situation like this one in the future I will have her reschedule or fire her as a client from the moment she was so terribly rude and disrespectful on the phone... no more taking it on the chin over and over until I really can't stand it anymore. I deserve respect from the "get go" otherwise you can take your attitude to another shop. I can turn people around, but they have to be reasonable. This lady was no lady and definitely wouldn't listen to reason. I think I will be able to recognize that better in the future...hopefully!

Thanks for all the support, it's been so nice to read your comments and know that there's a place to go to talk about difficult stuff like this. I love you guys!! :wink2:

I categorically refuse to accept that running cheap deals are a good thing.

The clientele that it tends to attract is not the kind that will allow you to build a successful business. You've said it yourself, you're working long, long days for next to nothing. That's no life for you - being self employed should afford you some slack. Yes, some of your clients might think it's expensive, but this is how to make your living, feed your family and keep the roof over your head.

You have your policies there for a reason; stick to them. Stick to your guns, make yourself a decent living... and ban her from the salon in future.

Also, I might have the music on as a default with the TV as an option but that's purely personal opinion :)

Bluesmith I can relate to this a lot as she sound like one of my worst clients ever.

This woman also rang me (running late) demanding me to direct her and because I didnt know the road she was on she told me it was all up to me to get her there , fair enough, but then she said how am I ever going to live a decent life if I dont even know where I live? Lovely!

She came in, handed me her own herbal teabag to make and sat down. I showed her the colour selection and thats when she really annoyed me, "is this all you have? Im very dissappointed, I thought there would be much more, I'm not the type of person who goes for a french manicure, I dont want something bright i dont want something pastel, make me a Tiffany blue color, where do you buy these surely you can change supplier if this is the colors you have? In America they have more colours"

Eventually after 20 mins went with silver chrome, from the second the brush touched her nail she grabbed it off me & inspected it everytime then rubbing it in the towel gathering fluff & not listening to me. She made nasty comments about the color when it was finished saying it wasnt a good job and she would have liked a sharper colour. 2 hours I was there being talked to like a 4 year old.

She made comments such as "my husband is just home and here I am with YOU, I presume theres no tax being paid here? And did more complaining about the colour choice (I was in my first few months & had 17 colours of all different shades) telling me her nails were definately going to chip, making me re do her thumbs twice each & then started to ask about coming back for removal!

I actually had to scream when she left, I have never been treated like that and she never returned thank god! I now know in that situation I should be more assertive and not put up with it, I am sure she exhausted every salon in the town she was from.

Hi ladies

My Problem is other nail techs friends!

I don't know if this is where I should post this but I am looking for some advice to not get disheartened.

I mainly get my clients from Facebook, I don't offer cheap deals like some nail techs are doing (£5 gel polish on fingers or toes)

I have had a lot of trial and error (especially with my products :Scared:)

However my dilemma is there is a couple of nail techs in my area who have been offering the above offer and I have noticed I am not getting a lot of business apart from my regs who are lovely. I have also found out these techs are using there friends to arrange appointments with me then cancel and keep rearranging. :sad:

To be honest I would rather jack it all in than lower my prices and have the clientele it would attract (wanting something for nothing)

I have been biting my tongue even though I am finding it hard. Just feeling heartbroken. :sad:

Last edited:
Hi Geeg.

My situations not relating a client but infact the lady I rent from. It's a communication problem so I really hope you can help me.

I started working there just under a year ago on a rental basis, I went to go look at it & it seemed ok and quite busy so I thought great, because it couldn't have been worse than where I was.
I moved my mountains of stuff in told all my clients where I was going etc, and then a lady contacted me who used to work there, she was adamant id hate it and to not go there but It was too late. She mentioned it flooding loads and all her stuff getting ruined (beauty rooms are in the basement so to speak) so I obviously confronted the manager and she said it definitely doesn't flood and the lady who contacted me was just bieng bitter because she owed her money and was told she couldn't work there anymore. That made sense to me, so I got on with it paid my rent everyweek... then the flooding began. (There's me and another beauty therapist whom is obviously valued more than me at the salon).
The water was only coming into MY room ruining MY stuff and effecting ME at first. In fact I had to cancel a days worth of clients due to the flooding that the manager hadnt been a*sed to do anything about, so I refused to pay full rent that week. Her words were "everyone else pays when they take days off or go on holiday" I explained thats completely irrelevant as its her negligence that prevented me from making any money that day, as well as making me look unprofessional. Anyway it got left at that, I just had to put up with the moldy, flooding, safety risk room while she was upstairs working happily.

Nowww this is where it gets interesting. The water started going into the other therapists room ... She was moved straight upstairs with a screen. Happy as larry and I put my life on it
shes getting half price rent too!
- this obviously riled me but...

Last week, as I were paying my rent a day early the mamager goes " you've 2 weeks to pay, you didn't pay last week" infront of a salon full of people! !
I said im sorry but I 100% did I remember and its also written down at home. She carried on arguing making me look like a liar infront if the full salon. I was trying to ignore it as I was doing a family members nails at the time and couldn't believe she'd brought this false matter up during work. But then she started laughing at me.. I didnt find it the slightest bit funny in fact I was livid!

The cheek she has to speak to me like that when its her who 'cant give me a receipt right now' because she's busy.. that's partially the reason for them to prevent stuff like this. Its also her who hasnt mentioned when Ive allegedly not paid. She also said I hadnt paid at Christmas! Which I also remember doing. But its the end of January, im not bieng funny but Ida mentioned it straight away if someone owed me money.
The fact that ive put up with my room and had my stuff ruined which ive replaced my self.. and she has the cheek to do this to me absolutely disgusts me. I'm now wondering if that other lady owed her anything at all!

Please help me in how I can approach her I always end up backing down as she's that good at lieng she believes her self 😒

Sorry for the essay its really stressing me out at the moment. If I can't find a solution im moving. Thankyou xx 💙💙

Last edited:
That's outrageous! Maybe do a combined deal of fingers and toes of £5 less than the original price. Ladies love a deal.. Even if its not that much of a deal. Ive had the friends booking in trick before! If its the same person ir people just tell them due to the amount of no shows from them your now taking deposits and appointments cant be made without them. Worked for me xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ladies

My Problem is other nail techs friends!

I don't know if this is where I should post this but I am looking for some advice to not get disheartened.

I mainly get my clients from Facebook, I don't offer cheap deals like some nail techs are doing (£5 gel polish on fingers or toes)

I have had a lot of trial and error (especially with my products :Scared:)

However my dilemma is there is a couple of nail techs in my area who have been offering the above offer and I have noticed I am not getting a lot of business apart from my regs who are lovely. I have also found out these techs are using there friends to arrange appointments with me then cancel and keep rearranging. :sad:

To be honest I would rather jack it all in than lower my prices and have the clientele it would attract (wanting something for nothing)

I have been biting my tongue even though I am finding it hard. Just feeling heartbroken. :sad:

That's outrageous! Maybe do a combined deal of fingers and toes of £5 less than the original price. Ladies love a deal.. Even if its not that much of a deal. Ive had the friends booking in trick before! If its the same person ir people just tell them due to the amount of no shows from them your now taking deposits and appointments cant be made without them. Worked for me xxxx

A client with onycholysis over 3/4's of the nail bed, broken nails back further than the quick, swollen blistered cuticles, nail plates so thin that there's bright red blood spots on them and she wants a set of acrylics. What would you do/what advice would you give? I'm so stressed with this situation and this client! Whatever I say to her I feel like she's going to get in a huff unless I say let's do your nails now as I've got this impression from her from meeting her previously

It is so upsetting, I spent all night last night checking who has been making false appointments. :sad:

Latest posts

Back