Zero hours contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachbubbles

Reaction score
Hi, so I work in a salon and they have been reducing everyone’s hours as it’s been dead.
The only thing is we are zero hours and they obviously don’t have to give us any that week at all BUT they told us we cannot work from home or have another job?

I’ve googled this and gov.uk said that’s not allowed and they cannot have it both ways. We are also not obliged to work the days they stipulate either.
Feels very one sided and I for one am struggling financially.

Any advice greatly received!

They can't stop you earning a wage so I would set up working for yourself and/ or look for another job.

Good luck

Vic x

I can appreciate that the salon is struggling to stay afloat but it might be something they’re doing wrong rather than just due to the economic situation. How long have you been employed there?

No, she can’t legally stop you from working elsewhere or for yourself so you might want to think about renting a chair somewhere?

Is it written in your contract that you are not allowed to work anywhere else? I would definitely check that,If its not written you are free to do what you like, if it is written I would check with citizens advice. I think they can stipulate that you are not allowed to work in another salon/perfom home treatments but not that you can't do another type of job.... I think you are better off finding a new job - A zero hour contract shouldn't be allowed.

Is it written in your contract that you are not allowed to work anywhere else? I would definitely check that,If its not written you are free to do what you like, if it is written I would check with citizens advice. I think they can stipulate that you are not allowed to work in another salon/perfom home treatments but not that you can't do another type of job.... I think you are better off finding a new job - A zero hour contract shouldn't be allowed.

Yeh it’s zero hour, more along the lines of just telling us what we cannot do etc.
We cannot work from home or work elsewhere.

... I think they can stipulate that you are not allowed to work in another salon/perfom home treatments but not that you can't do another type of job....

The contract is legally unenforceable because the terms are classed as unfair and you can’t be on a zero hours contract in something like a salon because you’re clearly a skilled employee and not a worker.
(A worker would be someone like an unskilled labourer turning up to a building site to see how many people they need that day.)

Just because you signed a contract doesn’t automatically make the terms within it, legally binding.
The non compete clauses only normally apply when you’re an employee, in full time employment earning well above minimum wage.

Latest posts

Back