Hive individual roller wax system-am I doing it wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie44

Reaction score
Ive been using wax creme pot wax for years now...as the majority of the waxing i do is eyebrows and bikini waxes. As I am starting to get more demand for full leg waxes I decided to invest in a hive roller wax heater. just the single one, as I thought it would be alot less messy and also save on time. I really don;t seem to be getting on with it though....it REALLY seems to pull on the skin when I am applying it and although the heater is at full heat (and warm to touch, the wax does not seems to flow through the roller. I am using the hive tea tree creme wax. am I doing something wrong or is this normal? should i have gone for phd system instead? thanks heaps guys.xx

i use this system and i do find that the original wax is a lot more smoother then the other waxes i don't think its you doing anything wrong as i do sometimes experience that. But When it does work it does only take me around 20-25 minutes to do a full leg wax! but try the original wax and see how you get on with that perhaps?

i use this system and i do find that the original wax is a lot more smoother then the other waxes i don't think its you doing anything wrong as i do sometimes experience that. But When it does work it does only take me around 20-25 minutes to do a full leg wax! but try the original wax and see how you get on with that perhaps?

thank you so much for that advice...I will go and get some original wax and give it a go! :)

I find it depends what angle you hold your cartridge at, ive got hive and i dont have any problems it'll go on smoothly and easily if you allow it to flow out the cartridge, its only if i hold it the wrong way it pulls and of course the temp has to be right

oh and i use original wax

I find the tea tree cream wax a total nightmare, my clients also hate it as it doesn't flow. No problems at all with the original tho x

I don't use a roller myself but I have done in the past. I think you want to hold it at 45 degrees. Also, get it started by rolling it on to a strip. That might help with the pulling, if you have got the wax flowing before applying it to the skin.

Not sure why I bought the tea tree wax...just thought it'd be goid gor sensitive skin...lesson learnt!!!x

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I've got this aswell and had similar problems when i first started.

I found it was happening more with the cartridge with the removable head. Also, I find with these ones that I would have to use it on full power and even if there was a small amount used I'd have to hold the cartridge upside down for 10 or so seconds to make sure there was plenty wax ready at the head to come out. if that makes any sence

I bought the fixed head rollers and it seems to come out a lot smoother, sometimes a bit fast though and some wax comes out the sides, but thats not really a problem. just need to be aware of it so it doesnt drip

I wait for the air bubble to go up if that makes sense! Ha

Turn the cartridge upside down and wait for a 10-15 seconds till the air bubbles rises, then role on a wax strip X

I am having the same problem. Bought this system, as other have mentioned, for ease and speed during mobile treatments.
I was so excited to start using it I decided to road test it on my sister before using it at a fully booked pamper session at the weekend, and boy am I glad I did.
The treatment had to be abandoned because it was a complete nightmare.
Even after following the very limited instruction pamphlet that came with it, to the letter, it was awful!
I used the single heater with honey refill and reusable head. Heated for 30-40 mins like the instructions said, and started the flow by rolling onto wax strip. The roller didn't roll, it dragged! The wax flow rate was very poor, although the roller seemed to "flood" and become clogged. Wax was oozing from the sides etc it was impossible to perform a good wax.
Although this system didn't cost me the earth, there were cheaper systems I could have gone with but I chose Hive as I have been using hive products for years now without any complaint.
I'm glad I used my sister as a guinea pig instead of discovering this problem on paying clients! Embarrassing!
So dilemma, girls! Abandon roller waxing completely or stick ( no pun intended!) at it? thanks ladies, enjoy your Weekend! Xx

reebies - looking through the threads roller wax is very hit and miss. What I gathered is the fixed heads and easier to use and using orginal wax and not honey? I've just got the Hive Mini Multi Pro with orginal hive wax and can't wait to use it! I wanted PR wax but was sold out. You'd have thought rollers would be simple lol! Stick at it and maybe try perron rigot wax or orginal hive wax. I hope you sort it as theres nothing worse than investing in something you don't get along with! xx

I'm getting rid of mine as frankly I find it a faff no matter what wax I use and I prefer my pots of wax - I can do a full leg wax far quicker with pots and spatulas than I can with rollers that keep clogging up and won't flow or drag on the skin - my unique selling point is how painless by comparison my service is... dragging the skin whilst applying the wax would not work with that :)

I realize this is a really old thread, but thought my post may help someone in the future.

I too started out with the single hive roller cartridge system - the one that looks like a cordless phone. I would have it on full, the wax would be sloshing around inside the cartridge and yet it would hardly come out the roller head. When it did it was thick, and it dragged horribly on skin, and would pull hairs out. I looked for some help on here but at the time there wasn't much about the system. I never even used it on a customer

The problem was not how it was held, the wax, the roller heads or anything else that kept being mentioned to me. I wasted loads of money trying out different heads/waxes etc.

The problem came down to the heater not covering the actual roller head and not heating it up too. Even when the cartridges are pushed all the way inside the heater it doesn't warm the head up enough. In the full sized roller heaters the whole cartridge goes in and is fully surrounded by heat. This isn't the case with the single roller system. So the wax just cools and sets onto the roller basically. I had a suspicion that it was down to the temperature of the roller head, so I experimented and started to put the cartridges into the unit upside down for a little bit to heat the head up. When I pulled the cartridge out and used it, it worked absolutely fine!

So I would definately recommend buying one of the 'proper' units with the mutiple slots rather than the hand held roller system. You think you're saving a little bit of money, but that isn't the case as it causes all these problems by being open topped and not able to provide enough heat to the roller head.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back