Given up on PHD waxing system, but unsure of what to try next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmel

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I posted a thread not so long ago about the problems I was having with the phd waxing system in regard to tubes splitting and leaking into the heater. This week the same thing has happened again - for the 5th time running! I'm so fed up with this ongoing issue and the company seems reluctant to unresolve it, so I've decided to look around for an alternative.

Having been in the industry for around 13 years, I've tried all sorts of methods in the past and obviously trained with the pot and spatula at college. When I began mobile treatments I used the clean and easy roller wax system until I switched to the phd safewax in the salon.

The problem is I have promoted the phd wax to my clients as being just that - safe and hygienic, with no risk of cross-contamination. However after reading a lot of posts about different wax systems, the Perron Rigot wax seems to be rated very highly and I'm now considering going back to the pot and spatula method of waxing because it's been around for a long time etc.

But now I'm wondering if my clients would accept me going back to the good old pot and spatula. :rolleyes: I see that HIVE and Australian Body Care also do a cartridge wax system. Is it worth me trying any of these or should I go back to the pot spatula (and maybe use a separate spatula with each application)

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanx :)

Missmel

Hi. Looks like we are in the same boat! I've run out of wax tubes but don't want to buy more as my heater has intermittent problems. I'm sure you used to be able to buy the tubes in sixes - or HAS it always been 15's? Don't want to get stuck with tubes of wax I can't use... I too have been looking at pot wax - specially PR and a digital heater. Got great advice from the forum last week. However, I don't do a whole lot of waxing and tubes are SO easy. Looked at Australian but I just can't make my mind up!

I suppose, if one opts for PR and spatula it is up to me to promote my use of those products. I'm certain no other business nearby uses those top-end products - so maybe that's the way to go. In a way, I quite fancy refreshing my original skills and I'm Soooo close to booking with KL shortly! I haven't touched hot wax for 15 years and I'm quite excited about trying the 'new' waxes!...

Perhaps we should go together?!!

IMO the pot and spatula method is much better and quicker and if you wish to endorse the hygiene issue with your clients then use disposable spatulas. I also agree that using quality wax and products does give a better treatment and often sets you apart from your competition.
Good luck

Hi geeks,

I posted a thread not so long ago about the problems I was having with the phd waxing system in regard to tubes splitting and leaking into the heater. This week the same thing has happened again - for the 5th time running! I'm so fed up with this ongoing issue and the company seems reluctant to unresolve it, so I've decided to look around for an alternative.

Having been in the industry for around 13 years, I've tried all sorts of methods in the past and obviously trained with the pot and spatula at college. When I began mobile treatments I used the clean and easy roller wax system until I switched to the phd safewax in the salon.

The problem is I have promoted the phd wax to my clients as being just that - safe and hygienic, with no risk of cross-contamination. However after reading a lot of posts about different wax systems, the Perron Rigot wax seems to be rated very highly and I'm now considering going back to the pot and spatula method of waxing because it's been around for a long time etc.

But now I'm wondering if my clients would accept me going back to the good old pot and spatula. :rolleyes: I see that HIVE and Australian Body Care also do a cartridge wax system. Is it worth me trying any of these or should I go back to the pot spatula (and maybe use a separate spatula with each application)

Missmel

I used to use PhD and like you promoted its use to clients as being safe/hygienic etc. although I also used pot and spat with hot wax for Bikini waxing. However I got fed up with PhD (although not for the same reasons as you), and went back to using pot and spatula for all waxing. I now use Perron Rigot and its been great. My clients have never questioned why I have changed, just told them that this was a higher quality wax etc. etc. Have never looked back am so pleased that I made the change. P R also do wax cartiridges if you don't want to use pot and spat on larger areas such as legs.

The last salon I worked in used Australian body care tube waxing with disposable heads, I loved the hygiene reasons behind it but your right, so annoying when the tubes split. And this happened a lot!!
Once it split on a clients leg... Luckily not her bikini area!!

I think you waste a lot of product too.

Since setting up on my own I did the Lycon course for advanced waxing.
I cannot believe i had been using strip wax for so long with hollywoods, bikini even lip & uarm waxing, so much more caring and softer for the skin.

You'll be amazed with hot wax :)

As for hygiene reasons, I NEVER double dip. (I wrap a bit off tissue around the just used part of my spatula & turn it around ready to use the other end) Purely so I don't go through thousands of spatulas!

I think with the pot & spatula it's more economical for your business.

Sorry to go on!

Xx
I can't believe

Thanks, particularly for info on Australian tubes and RP cartridge. Waxing used to be a great 'bread and butter' treatment for me. Looks like I'd better get on with that PR order before the sun comes out!

Thanks all for your replies. It sounds like my best bet is to try out the PR waxes and also refresh my skills with the hot wax because I actually have a wax pot in the salon for hot wax usage but I'm not very confident with it.

@ Littlevoyce - yes I think we are in a very similar situation :) I now have a lot of the phd wax to use up including the replacement heads etc, but considering the situation I'm hoping that Ellisons will give me a refund or be able to exchange it. Maybe they will do that for you too?

The only problem is, in the meantime I need to quickly decide what I want to use as an alternative! I would be quite interested in the training with KL too. Have you contacted her? Think I need to check out where she is based etc. I'm going to do a search on here for her now and go from there.

I guess that we never stop learning, even after being in the industry for a number of years, and trying out alternative products and techniques can only improve our skills. Right, off in search of KL :lol:

Hi geeks,

Missmel

Hi
I am Lynne from ABC Beauty and we are the official suppliers of Australian Bodycare in Scotland

Last year we had heard about this problem with PHD, and we had advised therapists who were having problems that they can use the Australian Bodycare tubes in the PHD System. You can see how you get on with them and then perhaps move to buying the Digital Australian Body care heater which houses four tubes. Give me a call if you would like to discuss or go to our website at Beauty Salon Supplies | Wholesale Beauty Products | Waxing Products Our number is 01383 624236

Last edited:
Hi, girls, I wonder if you could give use an update with what have you decided?
I bought Australian body care at the Excel show and I'm so disappointed! The tubes put a lot of pressure of the therapists hands when they squeeze it out and they have been complaining about it. The tubes get gold very quick. When I bought it the rep claimed you can do a full body wax on one tube. No way I can believe it!
I've called them and they said they'll sort out sending a rep to us. That was 2 months ago...

I trained using the hive rollers and during training I loved them - we were shown the phd system too but I preferred the hive so bought that... and a 1000cc hive wax pot heater...
I've now expanded to a 500cc as well and even mobile I'd rather use my pots than the roller systems... so much so I'm wondering if I should sell it on :)
Is there a particular reason your therapists are not using wax pots? I would have though this would be the most economical way for a salon and personally I think the best experience... :)

I am also on my 4th phd wax heater ! I have to say each time they have replaced the whole lot without question and on next day delivery. They have promised me they have changed the tubing and it is resolved now.( must have cost them a fortune to replace so many systems) if it happens again I am changing system but not sure what too, I can't imagine using a pot for legs again, I find it fine for hot wax for bikini.

Hi

just wondered what area you live in as I am wondering why you have had no reply from your ABC team regarding your issues. As the GM for the company I would like to follow this up
thanks - A

I too use phd but mine do not split. The trouble I have is the wax is really thick. I heat it up for approx 20-30 mins. Then I check to see if it's hot enough. I did a half leg and a bikini wax and used a whole tube at least I think I did. It is very hard to tell as its so thick and really difficult to squeeze the wax down. I only use phd as I am mobile but used this when I worked in a salon years ago but never had a problem with it. Thinking of changing too but don't know:( x

Hi

just wondered what area you live in as I am wondering why you have had no reply from your ABC team regarding your issues. As the GM for the company I would like to follow this up
thanks - A

I live in Bristol.

Latest posts

Back