Massaging and rotator cuff injury.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K4ren

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trained in Swedish Body and Indian Head massage. I have a client who is under physio and the physio has suggested a few massages to loosen up the shoulders.

I was thinking of using a heat lamp to warm the area prior to massaging and using mustard oil as this has a warming effect. My thoughts are to then commence a full back neck and shoulder massage concentrating on the area in question.

Has anyone any treated a person in the same position or can offer any further help/tips/suggestions?

Thanks for in advance for any responses. :lol:

Yes, I have treated clients with this problem, but, in all honesty, I would recommend referring them to a remedial/sports massage therapist.

If your client still wants to come to you, then the massage you carry out will depend on what stage of rehabilitation your client is, what treatment they are having and while I appreciate you won't be able to assess the client, your client should advise of which muscles are at fault and if the injury is recent or severe, then do not use deep frictions.

That said, it is good to treat all four main rotator cuff muscles to gain balance. You can use long strokes from the medial border of the scapula to the insertions in the shoulder and deeper strokes in the opposite direction if you hold your client's arm in abduction. I use side lying positions to work on subscapularis and with the clients arm abducted you can also work around the rotator cuff insertions around the joint.

Latest posts

Back