Level 3 - advice to help me decide!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxi moo

Reaction score
Hi salon geek friends

I have a dilema - I know I want to come back to college next school year and do level 3 but don't know whether to do general or massage route.

if you have done either could you let me know your pros and cons.

I'm not sure I'll ever use facial/body electrics or electrolysis but teachers seem to be guiding me towards this route. they say it's easier to get massage in day courses but not so easy with electrolysis etc. is electrolysis even popular? i really like massage but have a back complaint and not sure if it will be too much strain for me constantly doing body massage in various forms during college time next year.

what do you guys think - how did you decide?

cheers x

Hi salon geek friends

I have a dilema - I know I want to come back to college next school year and do level 3 but don't know whether to do general or massage route.

I'm not sure I'll ever use facial/body electrics or electrolysis but teachers seem to be guiding me towards this route. they say it's easier to get massage in day courses but not so easy with electrolysis etc. is electrolysis even popular? i really like massage but have a back complaint and not sure if it will be too much strain for me constantly doing body massage in various forms during college time next year.

cheers x

I did the general route. If you have a back complaint I'd say you should avoid doing the massage route as this will surely make it worse, I still did a fair few massages in my course. I also did electrolysis and was told its a good thing to have on your cv not sure how true that is!

I think if you do the general you will have more variation and be experienced in more things but that's just my opinion. Hope everything goes ok for you on your course . X

Hi salon geek friends

cheers x

Massage in a day course!!! Mmmmm, no chance. You wouldn't be doing it all day anyway unless you specifically worked in a massage only type of salon. Also learning different massage techniques helps so much with other level 2 treatments so is of huge benefit to any therapist, not to mention client. I seriously couldn't imagine not having my massage qualification as a therapist.

In my college we had to have done level 2 and massage before we could go on to do level 3 but I know this varies depending what area you're from.

Level 3 isn't just about electrical facials, it's about the whole concept of understanding how electrical treatments help within a general treatment. Plus so much more.
A&P is a lot more intense and its a much more indepth understanding of dietary needs,fitness,benefits of a good lifestyle,spa units, management etc.

Electrolysis is still very much in demand by many clients.

Most salons want a level 3 therapist and wouldnt employ a level 2 therapist .You need to think what makes you appealing to the salon owner so the more you have under your belt the better.

Massage is a very popular treatment as well and if you choose not to do it or to do a days worth of training you are going to have problems being taken on in any salon.

I'm surprised you weren't told all of this by the college instead of such a ridiculous comment such as you can learn massage courses in a day.

Hth.

Hi
Was totally in the same dilemma as you a few weeks ago bit in the end I've picked general, whether I get to do it or not is another story as massage route seems very popular this year. I was given the same advice from tutors as you were and what made the final decision for me was that I couldn't stand a whole year of learning just massage. You'be got to remember that you still learn massage in the general route but I suppose its personal preference! My tutors said the same thing about being able to learn massage through other courses but it was a lot harder and more costly to try to learn electrics outwith college. Also not sure what area your from but around here most salons are asking for qualifications in facial and body electrics in advertised jobs.

Good luck with your decision and if I can help you further just let me know
Xxx

Hi I would only accept level 3 girls in my salon as you have a better understanding of the whole beauty therapist role. Most salons I know wont take u on unless u are level three qualified x

Most salons seem to ask for the level 3 in beauty, so i would definately do it

I am in the same position as you
I am definatly going to do level 3, but I can't decide weather to choose the level 3 massage (also includes tanning and full body exfoliating) or the general level 3 which included some massage and electrical treatments.

Thx for advice. I will still do Swedish on general route. Massage route just means adding variations such as hot stone & Indian head.

Hi
Was totally in the same dilemma as you a few weeks ago bit in the end I've picked general, whether I get to do it or not is another story as massage route seems very popular this year. I was given the same advice from tutors as you were and what made the final decision for me was that I couldn't stand a whole year of learning just massage. You'be got to remember that you still learn massage in the general route but I suppose its personal preference! My tutors said the same thing about being able to learn massage through other courses but it was a lot harder and more costly to try to learn electrics outwith college. Also not sure what area your from but around here most salons are asking for qualifications in facial and body electrics in advertised jobs.

Good luck with your decision and if I can help you further just let me know
Xxx
Thx - this is really good to know.

Hi I would only accept level 3 girls in my salon as you have a better understanding of the whole beauty therapist role. Most salons I know wont take u on unless u are level three qualified x
Hi - I am not disputing doing level 3 as know I need it - the dilemma is whether to do massage or general route. As a salon owner what would you prefer when hiring?

I am in the same position as you
I am definatly going to do level 3, but I can't decide weather to choose the level 3 massage (also includes tanning and full body exfoliating) or the general level 3 which included some massage and electrical treatments.
Sounds like colleges differ. Our general route includes spray tan & electrolyses & the massage route includes aromatherapy, hot stone & Indian head. Let me know what you decide x

I did general as i worked on the basis that electrolysis would be good to have and the only difference when i did it was aromatherapy massage but i still learnt Swedish. Personally i chose the right one for me it depends where u see u career going x

I would say go for the general route as you will be gaining a larger variation of treatments. X

Hi

I have 1 week left at college before I qualify on my level 3, I was in the same position last year about choosing, Ive been doing a VCTC level 3 and decided to take the general route, however because Im greedy I also chose all of the optional extras, so when i qualify i will in effect have completed both routes, it has been alot of hard work and time consuming, but i do feel that i can offer more now and so pleased i did it, so i will have all the facial and body electricals, and also pre blended oils, indian head massage, hot stone massage and the swedish massage came on both routes.
hope this helps x

Latest posts

Back