List of products to avoid after a spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi there Geeks,

After posting on another thread it became apparent that Spray Tan Technicians need a little list of products to avoid before and after a tan, I am attaching a word document which is what I leave with clients after tanning them.
If anyone has anything to add please do.I was able to copy straight in to the post but will attach the document if I can so you can print it out if you want.

Hope this helps,

Client Instructional Handout

Pre Tan Preparation:
Shower, exfoliate, and remove body hair 24 to 8 hours before your tanning session
Skin should be clean and dry before being sprayed. Don’t apply moisturizers, deodorants, antiperspirants, oils or makeup before your tanning appointment. They can effect tan development.
Wear dark loose, easily cleaned clothing to appointment. Wear loose shoes. Bring a dark snug swimsuit or under garment to create your “tan line” (wool, lycra, nylon, spandex, silk, leather, can all stain)
Style hair in a hairclip or pony tail so it will be off of face, and neck
Remove all contact lens and jewelry before being sprayed.
You will not be able to swim, sweat, bath or exercise for at least 6 to 8 hours – so plan accordingly.
Bring a towel to cover leather or light colored seats. They can stain.
If it is raining, bring an umbrella, and protective shoes.
After Tan Care:
Wear dark loose fitting clothing for 6 to 8 hours, while tan develops.
Don’t exercise, sweat, swim or bath for 6 to 8 hours.
After 6 to 8 hours, shower normally, don’t not use exfoliates or abrasives.
Wash with a mild shower gel, preferably moisturizing, Use a mesh shower poof.
Some color wash off in the shower is normal; this is excess solution, and color guide tint. You will still have a bronze tan developed in to skin over 24 hours.
Pat, don’t rub skin dry.
Apply a moisturizer to shower damp skin; you can use an extender lotion, scrub palms after use with bar soap and a nail brush. Moisturize again before bed with a moisturizer of your choice if needed.
If skin is very dry apply a moisturizer twice every day, you are not tanning. You can apply extender once a day, every other day, or every third day.
Avoid exfoliating skin. Some products can cause faster fading, bar soaps, Alcohol based products such as toners and astringents, products that cause exfoliation such as AHAs, BHAs, Retin-A etc. Please see Products to Avoid List.

If you have any questions please ask your technician.

Products to Avoid Client Handout

This is a list of commonly used body care products that can have a detrimental effect on a spray tan. This is not all-inclusive. Not everyone will have a problem with these items. This is only a guide. If you have any questions, please ask your Tanning Technician.

The following products can lighten or make a sunless tan blotchy:

a women’s tan may develop differently during various hormonal changes (ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy) It may be streaky, patchy, fade worse, or produce lighter or no color.
AHA products (Alpha Hydroxy Acids -Glycolic, Lactic, Malic, Citric and Tartaric acids)
Anti-acne products that exfoliate, or dry the skin- Accutane, and Salicylic acid, can affect tan fading. Skin also peels, which can look unacceptable, especially with a tan. Antibiotics or other medications that affect your skin, can also affect your tan.
Anti-aging products that "renew" "refresh" or otherwise exfoliate skin,
Band-Aid or adhesive tape applied to skin will pull the "tan" off
Bar soaps, especially deodorant, or antibacterial varieties
BHA Products (Beta Hydroxy Acids-salicylic acid)
Body hair bleach products will bleach the tan, non bleach skin lighteners are fine
Bore type adhesive facial strips, or “peel-off” masks
Bug spray, perfumes, body sprays when sprayed directly onto skin, can remove or fade the tan. Instead, spray clothing, or spray a "cloud" of spray that you can walk through, instead of directly onto skin.
Dove soap, and Dove Shower gel, Curel lotions will fade a tan faster, on some people. Imperial Leather soaps and shower gels
Facial masks and exfoliating scrubs
Hair Inhibiting Lotions (Jergens etc.) tend to make a sunless tan yellow.
If you exercise and sweat heavily your tan can fade faster, especially in body fold areas. (arm bends, knee bends, between breasts etc.)
In winter skin is often very dry, and tan will fade faster. Switch to twice daily moisturizer use. Use a lotion after showering on damp skin. Try a heavier body cream, or butter, just before bed. Body Butter can also be used twice daily. Regular light exfoliation can be helpful.
Makeup remover cleaning products, or oils used to clean away eye makeup, Baby Oils can strip your tan
Pat dry in the shower, don’t rub.
People with oily skin tend to develop a lighter tan then people with dry skin. The oils can coat the skin, dry skin absorbs more products faster, so can look darker.
Retin-A type products (Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac, Tretinoin)- all will cause faster fading
Shaving exfoliates skin, so fades tan. Use a sharp clean razor, with a lubricating product, A dull razor scrapes off more skin and "tan". An electric razor or epilator will fade tan less.
Submersion in hot tub or swimming pool , Chlorine can fade your tan,Even a long hot bath can all affect the "tan" on some people.
Sweating feet inside shoes or behind knees and arm bends can fade a tan faster, or make the color guide look greenish or yellowish.
Toners containing Alcohols or Witch Hazel in the top three ingredients listed can lighten tan
Use of a loofah, scrub, mitt, etc. for daily washing. (Use a soft washcloth or "soft” poof for daily use)
Wax or Depilatory hair removal products (Nair, Veet, Neet etc)

This helpful list comes originally from Vicki Mayhew,Clara Petitt, Sunless.com and is copyrighted so I hope this is ok on here,this comes from the section that has permissions to print and handout to clients and technicians

Attachments

• Client Instructional Handout.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
This will be so useful for after my tan training! Thankyou! :)

Fabulous!!! As a newbie this is really helpful :)

Thank you for posting this! Very useful :) x

Be sure to post this in 'Articles' too

Be sure to post this in 'Articles' too

Thanks for that , I will have a go. Not ever posted an article before:o

All done, hope I put it in right section. It's under the training header

Last edited:
Thank you so much! X

Can someone just confirm....in this list it encourages the use of body butter twice a day. Is this ok, as I'd have thought this was an oil based product and therefore should be avoided? It would be great if I could tell people to use this, because lots of people have it! Does anyone know? Thanks. X

Can someone just confirm....in this list it encourages the use of body butter twice a day. Is this ok, as I'd have thought this was an oil based product and therefore should be avoided? It would be great if I could tell people to use this, because lots of people have it! Does anyone know? Thanks. X

I use palmers body butter everyday and doesn't harm my tan at all. X x

[QUOTE=Nails

Thank you, I'll pass that onto clients in that case! X

Oh wow that's great. I have a day of tans tomorrow this is ideal to hand our. Thanks very much x

Saving for later :)

Also saving for later :)

Wow! That's really helpful! Thank you so much! Am putting together some care leaflets for pre and post care and this will come in really handy! Thanks again! X

very usefull
maybe worth adding
avoid chlorine in swimming pools
body contact during development time
rain
avoid bleach if washing up using it

very usefull
maybe worth adding
avoid chlorine in swimming pools
body contact during development time
rain
avoid bleach if washing up using it

Well thats my evening ruined then, no chlorine, rain or body contact. I was going to top it all of with a little bleach in the sink when washing up.:D

I'm sorry but you say to avoid exfoliation. I always tell my clients to gently exfoliate 2-3 days after treatment then every 2 days to ensure an even fade off. But yeah this is ideal for those starting out.

Also after treatment avoid products which contain oil as this could strip the tan. E.g Dove and some razors with a moisturising strip also has oil so it's best to point this out as some people shave just before treatment and they wonder why it's patchy. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them lol. xx

I'm sorry but you say to avoid exfoliation. I always tell my clients to gently exfoliate 2-3 days after treatment then every 2 days to ensure an even fade off. But yeah this is ideal for those starting out.

Also after treatment avoid products which contain oil as this could strip the tan. E.g Dove and some razors with a moisturising strip also has oil so it's best to point this out as some people shave just before treatment and they wonder why it's patchy. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them lol. xx

Yes some say to avoid and some say to start after after a few days. I have heard some techs say exfoliating caused uneven fade off, but I don't know. The razors defenitely, and I always remind them to use brand new blades or to shave at least 24 hours beforehand.
I used to tell thm to exfoliate, now I dont and tbh there hasn't really been any difference, maybe because I drill correct prep into them when they make the booking

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back