£20 off GHD rip off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slade

Reaction score
Is any other salon moaning about this??

Ghd have dropped the price of the medium straighteners by £20. We still have a load of the med ones in stock which were retailing at the normal price. Talking to the rep he just suggests selling our dearer ones for £20 less and make a few quid from them then buy 5 more and we get one pair free!. I think we normally buy them from our ghd rep for not much less that the lower priced ones.

This just seems like a right con for us as if we do it we only really make any profit when we have sold the 5th pair!

Just seems totally unaceptable to me. I am considering stopping stocking them now.

Just wondered what every one else thought??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with this it's not so much about how much you make off the straighteners, it's what you make from up selling.

like you might get a new regular to the salon if you include a voucher and price list in every bag when u sell a pair, or the might want heat protection spray every 6 weeks, or conditioning treatments.

don't shoot yourself in the foot by getting rid of them, think of ideas to make more money from wach sale line I've said above, but yes it's a big of a p**s take!!

Could we all please bear in mind that we do not post Trade prices on here please.

Could we all please bear in mind that we do not post Trade prices on here please.

Really sorry about that. I didnt realise.

The more I think about this the more annoyed I get!.

You would be even more annoyed once your clients read on here what the Trade price is lol! ;)

That said working in a Hair Salon I know there is not much of a mark up on these straighteners anyway, surely as Bluerinse has said it is more about the ongoing sales of products that keep your retail profits up?

You would be even more annoyed once your clients read on here what the Trade price is lol! ;)

That said working in a Hair Salon I know there is not much of a mark up on these straighteners anyway, surely as Bluerinse has said it is more about the ongoing sales of products that keep your retail profits up?

I think our clients would be surprised at how little profit we make from these straighteners to be honest!.

We are only a single salon with about 12 staff and have about 5 ghd in stock. I feel sorry for big salons who have multiple branches that have a lot more in stock.

We purchased a few of the coloured ghd before Christmas on the understanding that if we did not sell them they would take them back. Our rep is now saying he will only swap them for the medium straighteners. So now we have more of the medium ones we have to sell to make our £2.

I think its GHD who are shooting themselves in the foot and will have a lot of unhappy salons on their hands.

I think with this it's not so much about how much you make off the straighteners, it's what you make from up selling.

like you might get a new regular to the salon if you include a voucher and price list in every bag when u sell a pair, or the might want heat protection spray every 6 weeks, or conditioning treatments.

don't shoot yourself in the foot by getting rid of them, think of ideas to make more money from wach sale line I've said above, but yes it's a big of a p**s take!!

Do you own a salon as well Bluerinse?

I think our clients would be surprised at how little profit we make from these straighteners to be honest!.

We are only a single salon with about 12 staff and have about 5 ghd in stock. I feel sorry for big salons who have multiple branches that have a lot more in stock.

We purchased a few of the coloured ghd before Christmas on the understanding that if we did not sell them they would take them back. Our rep is now saying he will only swap them for the medium straighteners. So now we have more of the medium ones we have to sell to make our £2.

I think its GHD who are shooting themselves in the foot and will have a lot of unhappy salons on their hands.

Also (still ranting here!!) The way things are at the moment its hard enough to sell a pair of straighteners let alone getting them to add other products as well. Plus they say they GHD only sell to salons. I have seen the GHD straighteners in Argos, Amazon, Tesco etc. They would have a lot more happy customers on their hands if they passed the discount onto the salons instead of forcing them to buy 5 pairs and you only really make any profit when that 5th pair is sold.

I used to work for the worlds biggest chain and u would be shocked at how much they pay per set of ghds!!

Do you own a salon as well Bluerinse?

I'm self employed chair renter ATM but I'm in the long stressful process of getting my own salon x

I'm self employed chair renter ATM but I'm in the long stressful process of getting my own salon x

To be honest (and im not being nasty here) I thought you wouldnt have your own salon.

I think its only when you do own your own salon that things like this are a problem and a concern. When you work for someone else you see all this money going into the till and think the owner is loaded. Staff dont think about all the outgoings we have and wouldnt think twice about small things like this.

Good luck with your new salon though, tough time to be opening one but I sincerly wish you all the best with it.

To be honest (and im not being nasty here) I thought you wouldnt have your own salon.

I think its only when you do own your own salon that things like this are a problem and a concern. When you work for someone else you see all this money going into the till and think the owner is loaded. Staff dont think about all the outgoings we have and wouldnt think twice about small things like this.

Good luck with your new salon though, tough time to be opening one but I sincerly wish you all the best with it.

Oh believe me even being a chair renter I have to take a fair whack before I take wages!! And I see the money come in then go straight back out! Xx

Oh believe me even being a chair renter I have to take a fair whack before I take wages!! And I see the money come in then go straight back out! Xx

If you need any advise on anything to do with your new salon then please ask. We have been going for 15 years now and have moved salons 3 times and had to face everything you can think of!!

Good luck again

Is any other salon moaning about this??

Ghd have dropped the price of the medium straighteners by £20. We still have a load of the med ones in stock which were retailing at the normal price. Talking to the rep he just suggests selling our dearer ones for £20 less and make a few quid from them then buy 5 more and we get one pair free!. I think we normally buy them from our ghd rep for not much less that the lower priced ones.

This just seems like a right con for us as if we do it we only really make any profit when we have sold the 5th pair!

Just seems totally unaceptable to me. I am considering stopping stocking them now.

Just wondered what every one else thought??

There product range is so large its immpossible to keep up and now Cloud ( have dropped there price. The hair industry should stop getting the wool pulled over its eyes and used to drive consumer websales to these sites thats all my clients tell me I also found this Unil electronics in Korea make ghd and cloud nine or yeah and ghd is owned by the same company who own maplin electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back