a friends experience at a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
hi,
my mams friend had a voucher to get a nail service from a salon near where she lives, well with her having lovely long nails anyway she asked for a manicure, the owner said 'we dont do manicures' and she could have extensions instead.

so, she went ahead, she didnt want to waste the voucher her daughter had bought for her.

the nail tech filed down all her nails then tipped and overlayed them, (the client was really shocked that she filed them all down).
after the treatment, the client asked when she should book in for an infil and the techs reply was ' it would be better to get them soaked off, and re-applied' she then brought out a little tub which was filled with liquid, sold her it for £5, and told her to soak them off herself in a couple of weeeks, then to phone for another appointment to have new extensions.

i was shocked when i heard about this happening, especially in a salon.
whats everyone opinion on this?
is it just me or is this wrong?

I am very :suprised:
Made me go :eek:
:Scared: that this is going on!
That nail tech should get a :smack:
Why does it feel we are :grr: ?

bit dodgy !

must say that i would have given the voucher to someone else and kept my own nails.

they should have just done an overlay.

obviously an inexperienced tech who hasnt mastered rebalances yet.

or someone who cant be bothered to faff and knows they will make more money on a full set.

I tell you what, if you phone around the nail techs in the YP it is quite interesting. One I phoned said she taught her clients how to fill their nails back so they didn't need infills, just a new set about every 6 weeks. She said she didn't see the point of people having to come back every 2 weeks to have them infilled - too time consuming and expensive for the client. Hmm, no worry about the trauma to the natural nail then? Lord sakes, infills should be the main income for a nail tech.

I can't understand that a nail salon doesn't provide manicures as a nail service. Neither should they being encouraging clients to soak off. It sounds as they they are either only after the money, or have no real skills at all. Can't do infills, can't do manicures? Hell what can they do?

Also I NEVER file or cut a clients nails without asking their permission first. It's just plain courtesy. In fact if a client comes in with lovely long nails and asks for a full set and try and talk them into a manicure, or just overlays at the most.

I would be p****d off if I had been the person that had bought the voucher. Id be complaining.
xxxx

this type of thing happened to my sister, her husband paid for a her to have a day of pampering at a salon for her 40th, and she had lovely long , strong natural nails and they cut em off and put tips on :irked: she also filed her nail plate away to nothing nearly, they looked good on the surface but they left a right mess underneath :irked: hence why i went and did a course :D as i was disgusted they had done so much damage :evil: , i think some techs are just out to make a quick £ and dont actually care about the clients wellbeing at all, which i am glad to say i do !!!:D hence i aint rich but i do treat my clients well and they all appreiciate it :D

Sassy Hassy said:
Can't do infills, can't do manicures? Hell what can they do?

Also I NEVER file or cut a clients nails without asking their permission first. It's just plain courtesy. In fact if a client comes in with lovely long nails and asks for a full set and try and talk them into a manicure, or just overlays at the most.

Couldn't agree with you more Sass.........this is the way a responsible and professional, fully trained Nail tech would act.....and sadly that is not the case with the 'salon' here....although some clients are getting more savvy and are prepared to 'interview' you before they let you touch their nails!!!!, the vast majority rely on the nail tech to tell them what service will be best for them.....and it is terrible for the client and for our industry when they get let down like this.....

she did actually say that manicures and infils were too time consuming and expensive.
when she did soak them off, it took her nearly 3 1/2 hours, her daughter tried to help her, in the end they were picking at them, and it did ruin her nails.

she showed me the little tub that the nail tech had sold her, and to my horror they sold the same thing in a shop on the high street for 99p.
i would say this is not the way to win new clients.

also this was not a nail tech working in a salon, it was the owner of the salon that did this.

J C ! 3 1/2 hours how thick must they have been, either thick or mma .

Doesnt sound like this salon owner and staff are pretty geared up for the public!

I would have thought that they would have a treatment list and perhaps this poor woman was able to have a manicure or beautiful natural overlays?

The tech also sounds suspicious and perhaps is not up to infills/rebalances as yet, thats why she's asking people to soak off instead of coming back every 2 weeks.

Not a very nice experience for someone who maybe, never had their nails done professionally!

Sounds like all money grabbing tactics to me!

The difference between us and salon's like that are we are passionate about nails We want to give the best service we can in fact I would do nails even if I didn't get paid I just love the job so much. But this type of set up dont care about nails all they care about is making a quick buck :rolleyes:

OMG! Thats nuts, cant understand why this tech still has a salon.

I did a set a couple of weeks ago and the client commented she had gel nails before but the tech asked her to soak off before the next appointment. Unfortunatly the gel was not a soak off gel and this poor girl sat with her fingers in acetone for almost 4 hours before she got fed up and picked them off. Hence she is now my client and hasnt gone back to the other tech!
KxXx

thats a whole load of crap that nail tech should be discusted in them self for telling a client such rubbish:evil:

Lellipop said:
The difference between us and salon's like that are we are passionate about nails We want to give the best service we can in fact I would do nails even if I didn't get paid I just love the job so much. But this type of set up dont care about nails all they care about is making a quick buck :rolleyes:

Hear, hear, quality business is there and stories like this make all of us remember why we are in this business.

Cathy

Definitely someone in it for the money, not the love of nails. I hate doing infills too but I certainly wouldn't tell people to remove their own nails & come back for a new set instead! It's just something that has to be done.

I can't believe this tech would file off a perfectly good set of natural nails to replace them with tips. Not only is this upsetting for the client but making unnecessary work for herself. I bet she would have been delighted with a nice manicure or natural nail overlay.

I love doing manicures & would always encourage a client with nice nails to have a manicure or overlay rather than chopping them off. What a waste!

Hi there
I mentioned this incident here in my home town not long ago in a similar post.

Clients were being told the same thing ...No manicures only french enhancements. Solar Oil was PINK.....Yeh Right!!!!!!!!

Long story short...Saved nine beautiful natural nails- sculpted 1 - manicured all - nail art on 2 all for under $25[OZ]

You'd be amazed at some of the TWISTS some techs will put to our trade.....
Keep educating your clients & diversifying your manicure menu.
Show em what a real manicurist/nail tech can do. The difference is visible.

XX J XX

why shorten natural nails to extend them??????????????????????? the client would have been better off with natural nail overlays surely. have you spoken to this client? (sorry didnt read the original thread properly and might have missed abit) get her educated pet, like only a true professional can

Unfortunately that kind of experience isn't as uncommon as it should be! I decided to investigate the competition a couple of months ago, probably a bit cheeky of me so I deserved to get crappy nails, but when I went in I had nice albeit slightly untidy gel extensions and asked the girl if she would rebalance them but not change the length or shape because I liked them the way they were. When I walked out I had gone from natural/clear gels to chunky, blobby french acrylics and they were half the length they were to begin with, she just rebalanced the acrylic over the top of the gel without even filing! It was all I could do not to tell her how to do it properly while I was sitting there! Luckily I had all the equipment to take them off and there was no real damage done, but if I had just been a client off the street I could of ended up with all kinds of nasties from it. Like I said it probably served me right for being cheeky, but even my husband commented on how much it looked like I had dipped my fingers in neopolitan ice-cream instead of had a nail service performed. It's a real shame because people have one bad experience with someone who doesn't really "get it" and then they are scared to try someone who does know what they're doing.

you know this sort of thing really pisses me off.
i had read on this site, not naming the person, how i had stated in my price list that sculptured nails are better for the natural nail cause there is less filing..........this being untrue of course, now this salon has closed down only a week before xmas and they hadn't even told any of their clients. so most of the clients came into my salon, panicking, to get an app for infills or new sets. looking at the nails they did, they're ok, but after soaking off L&P to have brisa gel, i have noticed sore red filed into nail beds and the clients have said how they filed till it was burning. also how they have miss led the public about gel nails saying how they are crap and can ruin the nail beds cause gel has to be filed off.
its such a shame that salons have to do this to keep their clients loyal.

what i do is tell the person who bought your mom the gift voucher to call the salon to complain and won't be giving 'good' word of mouth!!

Latest posts

Back