A question about coloured acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Having done a removal of some coloured acrylics after Christmas (put on by another local tech, I don't do coloured) and found greenies under a lot of the nails, quite bad on some, it highlighted for me the potential problem of using coloured acrylics for the whole structure/body of the nail because of their ability to conceal what's going on with the natural nail.

If she'd gone back for another infill how long might it have been till this would have been discovered?

If you do coloured acrylics what are your views on this or do you insist on frequent removals etc? I should add there were no outward signs of lifting on these nails so I didn't suspect anything.

And do any other techs keep, like me, to clear/natural acrylic that you can keep an eye on the health of the nail through, and prefer to use a gel polish on top which obv gets removed every time.

I'm not doing coloured acrylics down, they look amazing!

The ratio is very differently for highly pigmented polymers which is probably why the pocket lifting is occurring allowing the bacterial infection to thrive. I think you're absolutely right in that it would have gone on unchecked for a good while. The recent boom in coloured acrylic designs has prompted the use of a thin layer of clear before the design, mostly for ease of removal rather than prevention of any problems but its the perfect solution.

Coloured powders were never my preference first time round, despite having every colour CND produced, I prefer the gel polish method

Thank you for your uber-sensible reply [emoji5]️

I mainly use coloured acrylic but like Trinity suggests I use a layer of clear first as my clients change designs at every appointment.
There may have been signs previously that the last tech had ignored...

Thank you for your uber-sensible reply [emoji5]️

Urgh! Shoot me now :oops: who wants to be sensible ;)

On a similar note any noticed the rash of FB photos of bacterial infections and 'techs' asking what it is, can they reapply, etc. Surely, surely this is basic knowledge or is it just me expecting too much :oops::rolleyes:

I mainly use coloured acrylic but like Trinity suggests I use a layer of clear first as my clients change designs at every appointment.
There may have been signs previously that the last tech had ignored...
The whole nail was made from a peachy coloured acrylic, there was no clear, then additional colours on top

But the clear layer which some techs do would solve this problem along with vigilance and yes Trinity I've thought just the same ! [emoji15]

Urgh! Shoot me now :oops: who wants to be sensible ;)

On a similar note any noticed the rash of FB photos of bacterial infections and 'techs' asking what it is, can they reapply, etc. Surely, surely this is basic knowledge or is it just me expecting too much :oops::rolleyes:
I'm on lots of nail groups and these questions are regularly asked which is concerning but more so is lots of inaccurate advice given out.

I am the sole nail tech at the salon where I booth rent, so I have set up my own protocol.
I am currently pursuing my medical nail technician certification to add to my nail license (that I have had since 8-2016), so I am very concerned with the health of my clients hands & feet.
I will personally not apply any acrylic darker than a light natural pink or beige. My goal is to produce nails that are not only esthetically pleasing, but healthy as well. I inform my clients that I must be able to observe the health of their nail bed at every visit and that I cannot do that with darker acrylic. I offer any style & color of their choosing for a gel polish topper.
This is my own personal opinion & protocol.

The nail tech must have done something wrong. Ive done coloured acrylics for years and never had this problem.

Latest posts

Back