Acne skin condition/ dry skin type...nightmare !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Ok the therapist in the college said I have dry skin type, but acne skin condition.
I have so far had 2 microdrems done in the college and 1 galvanic facial,
I am using dermalogica anti bac facial wash...and have used a home (loreal) microderm kit..inbetween too..
All of this is over a period of I think about 6 weeks ish ?

My acne is improving dramaticly I am over the moon.
I only have at the moment 1 .....yes only ONE !!!! big spot on my face... (although I do have lots of little ones, and scaring still)
Normally I would have crops of big sore ones by now
and I am due on lol..I am sooooo happy....
Also my blocked pores are like a million times better...
I no longer feel discusting .
BUT....(always a but lol)
I now have dry patches mainly on my nose at the sides...
I do have a small amount of flaking all over my face..but i mean a really small amount,
At the side of my nose though I have a little patch of like dirty looking skin...its quite rough,
I think this is left over old skin lol.

I reduced using the anti bac face wash to once daily instead of twice as the dry flakey patches were quite bad at first , so that has help lessen the amount...

I am wondering though to get to my point lol.
If I am treating my skin for acne...I am obviously trying to remove all of the oils...BUT should I be moisturising too ?
If yes, is there any specific type of moisturiser to use for my crappy skin?

I am planning on asking at the college next time I go in, but this isnt going to be for a few weeks yet.

Thankyou :hug:

Yes you certainly can and should moisturise your skin Ems. Even if you only apply in the dry area to start with.

I take it you are using Dermalogica products and that they are advising you at the college where you get your treatments done so you could speak to them about which moisturiser to use. I'm not massively familiar with the Dermalogica products but they're bound to have a light moisturising lotion suitable for skin with acne.

Great news though that you're pleased with the results you're getting.:)

Yes yes ans yes you should deffinately be using a moisturiser. I would probably recommend active moist or skin smoothing cream from dermalogica. If you go into any salon that has dermalogica in they should look at your skin for you. (face map) and recommend the best one for your skin. Also you should used an spf in the day. They do a spf booster that you can ad to any moisturser - cant rem what it called - how bad is that lol. Having a mental block lol.

Everyone need to where a moisturiser as protection for your skin. Even the oilest of skins. xx
x xx

ahhh thankyou,
One of the girls at the college did mention only moisturising my dry patches, but that was hard to do, as some days my cheeks are dry, others it's my forehead or nose...etc...
But I didn't want to just moisturise the whole face incase I would make it greasy again...and make more spots
So I wondered if just doing my whole face would be suitable, or if that was defeating the object lol.

Its gutting, because my acne is improving, but I still can't wear make up properly becuase of the dryness.

hi ya,
i run a dermalogica salon, and what i thouught i would suggest is that you are, or were definately drying out your skin with the oil reduction products, if you feel your break outs have improved its probably time to switch from the anti bac wash down to the dermal clay cleanser, as its not so harsh.followed with a hydrating conditioner such as Dermalogica toner, and an oil-free moisturizer, like multi-active day cream. Exfoliate twice a week, and use Daily Microfoliant every day, to clean out your pores, Dermalogica medicated clearing gelhelps balance oil production, remove debris and kill acne bacteria.
sorry to rant on this wasnt a sales pitch i just know this stuff will help
liz xxxx

Yes yes ans yes you should deffinately be using a moisturiser. I would probably recommend active moist or skin smoothing cream from dermalogica. If you go into any salon that has dermalogica in they should look at your skin for you. (face map) and recommend the best one for your skin. Also you should used an spf in the day. They do a spf booster that you can ad to any moisturser - cant rem what it called - how bad is that lol. Having a mental block lol.

Everyone need to where a moisturiser as protection for your skin. Even the oilest of skins. xx
x xx

Do you mean the solar defense booster? I love that product, and definitely the active moist during the day, maybe use the skin smoothing cream at night or only on the really dry patches.

Remember, you don't want to strip all the oils from your skin, or you may end up with sensitised skin (this is different from sensitive skin).

It's quite hard to recommend products when we haven't actually seen your skin though, so I would go into a reputable salon (doesn't have to be dermalogica) and ask for a skin analysis. They can assess your skin properly and recommend the best products for your skin.

Don't feel you need to take all the products they suggest if you don't want to, I would recommend starting with a cleanser and moisturiser, and add extra products later when you can.

just repeating what everyone else is saying hun , but yes you should be moisturising :green:

I am very confused! Is it possible to have an acne skin condition with a dry skin type? I have been told at college that you can have combination normal to oily or normal to dry but not dry/oily.An oily seborrhoeic skin is prone to acne break outs, yet not a dry skin because the sebaceous glands are underactive and there are very few comedones.Perhaps your skin is dehydrated rather than dry? I am by no means experienced in this area but surely acne/dry is contradictory? Got my finals in a weeks time and now I'm cofused, lol.

Hi

I think what the college meant was an acne skin with dehydration. You cant be oily and dry!

Just to say I personally would NOT recommend skin smoothing cream for an oily acne skin - its is for a drier skin. Either active moist or Oil-control lotion.

Glad that your skin is clearing up - moisturising is essential as mentioned before. I would say if you find you get flaky patches take down Anti-bac to twice/three times a week and use dermal clay the other days.

Its as shame Dermalogica did not launch Medi-Bac here before AGE smart as Medi-bac is designed for adult problem skin/acne.

As all geeks have said you need to moisturise - it is essential it is an oil free moisturiser!

Sorry I cant remember which geek - but they said going to getted face mapped would be good - I second this!

hth

Becki xxx

I am very confused! Is it possible to have an acne skin condition with a dry skin type? I have been told at college that you can have combination normal to oily or normal to dry but not dry/oily.An oily seborrhoeic skin is prone to acne break outs, yet not a dry skin because the sebaceous glands are underactive and there are very few comedones.Perhaps your skin is dehydrated rather than dry? I am by no means experienced in this area but surely acne/dry is contradictory? Got my finals in a weeks time and now I'm cofused, lol.

Just to say...I don't have a clue lol, just repeating what I was told,
:lol:

Thankyou everyone...just when I thought it was safe I have the mother of all spots right inbetween my eyes ouch !!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back