Acrylic lifting away from free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I did my nails a while back, they have no lifting except for 2 nails at the free edge. I have done a search but I wasn't able to find a solution to this, how do I correct it, do I file the product away at the free edge and re-apply? I have only pink overlays, not pink and white just incase you were wondering. You're probably thinking I should know this by now :o but it does not happen very often to me. How do I prevent it from happening in the future?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

xxxxx

Rose143 said:
Hi Peeps,

I did my nails a while back, they have no lifting except for 2 nails at the free edge. I have done a search but I wasn't able to find a solution to this, how do I correct it, do I file the product away at the free edge and re-apply? I have only pink overlays, not pink and white just incase you were wondering. You're probably thinking I should know this by now :o but it does not happen very often to me. How do I prevent it from happening in the future?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

xxxxx
to prevent this from happening i cap the free edge (make sure the overlay goes over the edge a little). i usually put a sculpting form on first then i can take it over slightly.

you should be able to file away the lifted product and reapply with new (as you would a rebalance)

is it a natural nail overlay???? if so, a bit of cuticle oil applied under the free edge helps prevent the natural nail from seperating from the overlay..hth

Wouldnt applying oil to the free edge cause the L&p to lift though?, i thought this was the reason we applied scrubfresh to make sure there is no oil on the nail plate.

Hi Girls,

Yes it is a natural nail overlay, I'm not sure about applying solaroil to the free edge, that's why I asked if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening again.

xxxx

emma's nails said:
to prevent this from happening i cap the free edge (make sure the overlay goes over the edge a little). i usually put a sculpting form on first then i can take it over slightly.

you should be able to file away the lifted product and reapply with new (as you would a rebalance)

Hi Emma, thanks for that but what happens when you take the length of the nail down and that capping of the free edge has been filed away?

xxxx

Rose babe - do a search for Geegs posts regarding capping. She talks about angling your abrasive at about 45 degrees so you'll reduce the natural nail but keep a slight over hang of product which leaves the effect of capping.

I'll have a search and see if I can find it for you too.

Kaznails theory of applying solar oil under the free edge is provention rather than cure and she's right as it provents curling (GMG did a tutorial on curling called Curlysuckyonus (or something like that :D )

For cure, you need to buff down the lifting and replace with nice new overlay, ensuring you press down well

HTH Chick

T
xx

Capping is what will stop lifting at the free edge. if you shorten them down it is more likely to cause it to re occur...

To get rid of the lifted area: blend down toward the free edge until a fresh seal is found, re prep, re apply (ensuring you re cap... you only have to take it ever so slightly over)

The other thing that can occur, which is mentioned, is curling.. this is where the natural nail becomes dry and "curls" away from the product. So yes putting solar oil on the nail will keep it moist and stop it from curling.. just apply it underneath when your doing your daily "solar bath" to the whole nail unit.. HTH

Beaten to it LOL - gotta type quicker ;)

Ha ha ha, that's great, beats my two words a minute hunt and peck then eh?!

Envy said:
two words a minute hunt and peck

I've never heard it called that before, but it's fabulous! It shall be my new saying :wink2:

Thanks for your help Trinity and Envy, much appreciated, I'll have a good read now :)

xxxx

Latest posts

Back