Advertising for salon opening day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
i really want to do as miuch advertising this week a poss... i open on sat 20th..
my website will be done by sat/sun this week.. ive done a facebook page and myspace.. and leaflet drops...

im also going to put a a2 poster on my shop tommorow so people know its opening soon as its been shut for a while after previous owner left..

but im sooo scared no-one is going to come on sat or that week even...

i would be so grateful for ideas....
any ideas:lol:

Have you thought of doing an advert in your local paper with an opening offer coupon people could cut out?

Networking.
Find your nearest Ladies Who Latte, Athena, Women in Business Group, Chamber of Commerce, BNI, BRX etc, and tootle off there to promote your business.
Contact your local radio station, parish magazine, mum and toddler group, WI, Probus groups and tell them all about you.

thanks im going to look into that now maybe i can get it into paper next week :)

local paper ads don't work for hairdressers, trust me. Save your money.
People will come in to be nosy. Too many offers will confuse people so just be friendly, proffessional and stick to your salon ethos. Really you dont want peolpe coming to your salon just cos its cheap, those people never spend.
Leaflet drops are fine. Its hard work but aim to cover at least a mile radius of your salon.

really :irked: well i didnt manage to contact the paper on friday was all over the place.. but i will do some more leaflet drops well not me but il get someone to do it :lol:..

people have come in a few times to ask if we are getting sunbeds when ive been there sorting things out.... so i agree about the noisy part..

but im not expecting miracles on the first day just al least one person :eek:

If you log onto ecademy, and join just as a basic member you can search for your particular location e.g. Ealing. You can then send these people a contact request telling them you're opening on x day etc. I did this when I launched Ladies Who Latte and had a very good response.

Are you really going to be offering sunbeds? The incidence of malignant melanoma is now the single most common cancer in young women, more common even than cervical cancer. There has a 30% rise in MM in the last 10 years as a result of cheap flights and sunbeds. Whenever people ring me about sunbeds I point out the health risks and suggest Fake Bake instead.

thanks il take a look at the site now..and search for any places i can add my salon

i also want to target the college but not sure if they'l let me leave leaflets there? il call them on monday...but has anyone else targeted colleges etc and how did you got about it. ?

What's the name of your local radio station? They often have a website where you can add local events.

Careful about the college; if they have a salon department they're unlikely to want to promote competition, and the students won't want to pay full salon prices.
Better to approach gyms, coffee shops, libraries, hospitals.
Use Twitter as well. Google hashtags to add your location.

not sure about the radio station il do a google for it...

im doing some leaflets.. to send tommorow .. i havent completely decided on my prices yet so i havent put those on...
i want to put something good on there i was thinking of free glass of bubbly.. but would people just come for a glass of bubbly and thats it:irked:?

do you think its a good idea or do you have any ideas?

we had an open day back in Jan (not an opening day but ykwim) and we had over 40 people come along.... some were clients or friends that brought friends and many were new.... we did a few demos and a half price file & polish (I know im nails not hair) our main advertising was via leaflet drops, I did an eflyer too and good ol facebook helped :)

I also had a banner made that we put out side the salon

The local paper never really had worked for advertising open days for me.... its costly and I have spent less doing flyers and leaflets and its been far more affective in the long run.... also also have made keyrings to give to everyone so they can always find our number ;)

Im just uploading some piccys from our day back in Jan .... ill edit in a min so you cna see what we did

also when doing flyers.... you have to be realistic and you will need to do quite a lot.... 1 or 2 hundred will not be enough.... you want to aim at getting out much more... we order normally order 5000 and aimed if we got 1% from that it would be 50 people....which is a fab start (ive got a great link for a cheap printer if you need it just shout)

Jess x

Last edited:
id love the link thanks the more i get out this week the better:)
il offer the free glass of bubbly..i think maybe give coupons to people on the day to use on future discounts that month..

did you use someone to deliver the leaflets?

id love the link thanks the more i get out this week the better:)
il offer the free glass of bubbly..i think maybe give coupons to people on the day to use on future discounts that month..

did you use someone to deliver the leaflets?

no......... it was a combination of me, my boyfriend, my mum, asking friends to leave some in their staff rooms or work receptions and of course the other girls at the salon too
we went round local hotels too and loads of shops in the town centre

we also did a prize draw so we could get everyones details for future events and advertising

heres the link, we went with the A6 full colour flyers Need Flyer Printing Fast? The UK's Fastest For FSC Flyer Printing, Leaflet Printing, Postcard Printing & Brochure Printing

Jess x

here's the flyer we did
sparklepink-albums-salon+open+day-picture14122-open-day-flyer-front.jpg

sparklepink-albums-salon+open+day-picture14123-open-day-flyer-back.jpg

For more open day piccys check my facebook page Login | Facebook

Jess x

Be careful about the free bubbly. I know that some councils are very strict on this and you have to have a licence. Grrr.

here's the flyer we did
sparklepink-albums-salon+open+day-picture14122-open-day-flyer-front.jpg

sparklepink-albums-salon+open+day-picture14123-open-day-flyer-back.jpg

For more open day piccys check my facebook page Login | Facebook

Jess x

i love the flyer.. really nice and catchy ..is the bottom one on a postcode? i was thinking of doing that as you can put more on then a business card

Ive opened a few weeks now.... I placed ads in the local papers with money off vouchers... but I also had an open evening where I invited people who had helped me with the start up of my business e.g. solicitor, accountant, local businesses, family and friends etc and told them all to bring a friend. I served wine and a small buffet but the main thing was they were all offered a spray tan (VersaSpa) which was really popular! I was supposed to close at 9 and didnt actually get home till about 11 but I was really buzzing. Also I had purchased a makeup range and had arranged with the rep to come to the salon and she did some makeup trials. It was a great night!

On the opening day I put balloons out at the front door so everyone knew we were open! Got loads of custom!!

Good luck for your opening! And also a word of warning... Be careful regarding advertising... I have placed ads with various companies who came onto the phone making me think I had already spoken to them but it was actually a different company each time! Ended up spending about £800 worth of ads that probably wont benefit me at all! Now I just say NO!!! to all of them! (U learn from ur mistakes!)

Latest posts

Back