advice about onycholysis needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
I have a client whose nails I have been doing for about a year, and she only ever has them sculpted (I use LCN gel). I have never had a problem until the last week when she is showing the start of onycholysis. The nail plate hasn't fully seperated from the nail bed, just going that milky colour that says it's on the move.

My client has the weakest nails ever and likes to have a new set every 4-6 months. She was booked in for a removal and full set, but when she turned up for the appointment she had picked the nails off (bad girl I TOLD HER NOT TO lol!!, but hey who listens to advice these days!?). This obviously made her nails even weaker, but I sculpted a new set for her and they were the best set I have ever done (oh that sculpting class is so paying dividends).

In the last week she has broken 3 which is quite unusual for her, and where the onycholysis is starting (or at least I think that is what is happening) she says her nails are very sore. So why should this be happening? I sculpt because her nails are so weak and she prefers them anyway. Could it be her picking them off has put extra pressure on her nail plate causing it to separate, plus think she may be a little more heavy handed than usual because of the extra breakages? Or is it something that I could have done? And is it onycholysis, or something else?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

ps this has never happened to me before in 4 years of nailing so I'm a bit perplexed and worried I have damaged a client's nails.

This is a classic case where the client, because of not following instructions, has weakened and thinned her already thin nails by improper removal.

The thinned and weakened plate has then been forced (pulled up) off the nail bed beneath when the gel has shrunk on curing.

The pain is caused by the nail plate de-railing from the nail bed beneath and will subside when the plate has fully separated from the bed, as the gel goes on curing.

She should have listened to your advice and maybe she will next time as it will now take weeks for these nails to grow back into the grooves.

Keep nails short. Do not remove gel. The client can only blame herself for this condition, the pain and the inconvenience. Make a note on your client record card.

Thanks Gigi, I had a feeling it was down to her picking but just wanted to check I hadn't aggravated it further! Will follow your advice - and hopefully she'll follow mine in future!! Thank you once again.

Latest posts

Back