Advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angiehuxley

Reaction score
Hi all. Please let me start by explaining that although I trained in hairdressing years ago, it is not my job (I only do family and friends etc) but I am in the beauty industry. I say this as I know you won't give advice to non trained!
Right. I have been having bleach foils over a tint base for quite a few years. I'm a natural base 5. I tint using a level 7 with 9% and then every few months have bleach foils. It was working ok - the tint every 3-4 weeks means that my regrowth looks more natural. Anyway, the last six months or more, I have experienced quite a bit of breakage - from the point where the bleach starts. My hair is very fine and I don't have a lot so obviously this is not great! I have also noticed that the level 7 tint appears darker than it used to be (but that just may be me).
I'd like to stay blonde - as blonde as possible. Would you recommend ditching the two processes and going straight for a solid colour with a bleach and 6% with olaplex, or perhaps going for a high lift? (Although I do worry about having12% on my sensitive scalp) .
Apologies for the long post - I will discuss this with the chap who does my foils but I would really appreciate some advice off you lovely folk. Xxxx

Highlifts aren't great performers on darker bases so I'd discount that option. It sounds like the tint and/or bleach has overlapped at some point. The peroxide opens the cuticle layer and if you overlap, given time it will lead to breakage.
Presumably when the hairdresser applies your foils, he will overlap some of your root tint? You'd be better off getting him to do bleach foils with colour inbetween them as one service so that there's less overlapping.

Highlifts aren't great performers on darker bases so I'd discount that option. It sounds like the tint and/or bleach has overlapped at some point. The peroxide opens the cuticle layer and if you overlap, given time it will lead to breakage.
Presumably when the hairdresser applies your foils, he will overlap some of your root tint? You'd be better off getting him to do bleach foils with colour inbetween them as one service so that there's less overlapping.

Thanks so much for you reply. The reason I started tinting was to reduce the amount of highlights I needed. My hair grows pretty quick and I find that after the initial few weeks of lovely highlighted hair, it will look scruffy and I hate that! I thought at least the level 7 served to break up the regrowth (hope this makes sense?) That means I can go 3-4 months between highlights. I love the multi tonal look of foils but hate the fact that no matter how close you get, there is still a root regrowth showing at the scalp! I'm sure the bleach is overlapping though so I wondered whether an all over tint/bleach on my roots and gradually grow out the highlights would be better? I'm so confused! Xxxx

Not sure why my last post ended up inside the quote from AcidPerm.. odd!

Latest posts

Back