Advice needed, wanting to start my own business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blonde_hana

Reaction score
Hi all

Just needing some advice from already established beauty therapists who work for themselves.

I am currently finishing my HNC beauty therapy course and also doing flexi work at A high end spa in a 5 star hotel (not disclosing for privacy).

I have been here for 6 months and while it has given me invaluable experience in dealing with various clients and given me more confidence and expanded my skills in massage and facial work, I still feel that I am itching for more experience in salon type treatments such as nails and waxing and eyelash treatments as I feel too bored doing the same thing constantly.

I am a mother of a 3 year old and also expecting my second child in September so I feel this type of work is preventing me from spending quality time with my family as I work only weekends and unable to work doing the week while my partner works away as I can't afford childcare and I am also finishing off college.

I don't feel I have enough experience to start working for myself just yet and the whole idea of getting started by registering self employed and starting a whole new client base in a competitive town very overwhelming. But I know that this is what I am meant to do with my life as it would fit perfectly round my family and role as a mum!

I just need advice on how I can better myself and gain more experience and confidence as a therapist so I can then go on to work for myself. I feel more drawn to nails, waxing and beauty work but lack the industry experience that I have gained with massage and facials from my spa. I just don't enjoy working in the spa as they are making me work long hours with only one break and back to back treatments which I am only struggling with because I am pregnant, this is for such little pay too. But I am grateful for the experience.

My HNC course has focused more on spa work and less on beauty salon treatments so I am needing more confidence in this area. I am qualified in spray tanning as well (st tropez).

Any advice from therapists on how they managed to build themselves up an established home business would be much appreciated as I want to be the best I can be.

If you lived nearer to me, you would be welcome to shadow me in my business. Do you have any beauty salons local to you - could you arrange to 'shadow' someone experienced for a couple days a month? If you were to explain that you absolutely love your work but you are really keen to learn as much as possible, I'm sure there would be someone who would want to help. Don't be put off from setting up on your own, you can do it, nothing is impossible :)

Latest posts

Back